Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Folks, I'm Mike (aka Junior) happy to have joined! I've used that name on LXforums (for modern Mopar stuff, and that was a fabulous community back in the day. I really miss that gang; though a lot of them are lifetime friends, that forum at that time in that late 2000's was something really special), FJCruiserForums (still love my FJ), and some others. I wish facebook hadn't killed the forums as the social spot because there's no better format to share hard info as well as experiences and just fun at the same time as this type of forum.

So here we are! My wife and I just placed an order for a 2023 Crosstrek Sport in CGK! We thought we were going there to put a deposit/hold on an incoming 2022, but when we got there, it had already been reserved.

I was reluctantly going to buy that one if I could (I say reluctantly, because it already had a Port-installed options package - Aero Crossbars, LED interior bulb upgrade, and the f*ing sunshade. That package adds $1294, but those three items are available directly from parts.Subaru.com for a total of $410 retail). I was ready to negotiate the purchase contingent on them not adding the Dealer-installed options they wanted to add ("wheel locks and paint and fabric protection" for $895, and window etching for $176), which I had a soft commitment that they would not include. Cool Gray Khaki was a must-have for us, and we really preferred the Sport to the Limited or others, so we really didn't have much stock to select from, nationwide. And when we arrived, that car had already been reserved, so we went to Plan B.

I had seen this morning that the 2023s were announced today, and I knew placing an order would allow me to avoid the pre-installed packages, so we confirmed that with the salesman, and after a couple rounds of "whatabout" we put down the order.

The build itself breaks down like this (we only added Package 22 and the HomeLink-enabled Auto-dimming mirrors kit):

(PRE 22 C CGL) 2023 Crosstrek Sport w/ Package 22$29,595
(Package 22 includes Moonroof + Blind Spot Detection/ Rear Cross Traffic Alert +Keyless Access with Push-Button Start, and adds $1600)
(CS2) (0KO 0H2) EXTERIOR AND INTERIOR AUTODIMMING HL MIRRORS$681
(0KO) Auto-Dimming Exterior Mirror with Approach Light-
(0H2) Auto-Dimming Mirror with Compass and HomeLink-
Destination and Delivery fee for MSRP$1,225
Factory Subtotal$31,501

The purchase cost breakdown is below:

2023 Crosstrek Sport CGK with Options 22 and CS2 - MSRP$31,501
Total Taxes$2,552
Government Fee (Title & Registration, VLT/"Lieu Tax" for 1 year)$703
Proc/Doc Fee (local Market Adjustment, though they don't like you to call it that)$599
Total OTD price$35,355

So at the end of the day, I'm happy with the deal. The Market Adjustment "doc fee" is nothing more than what the market will allow them to overcharge, as confirmed by a forthcoming dealer a while ago. And it's pretty much a non-negotiable factor due to the risk of a class-action lawsuit if those who paid it find out that others did not. That's unlike accessories, which they can always use to pad the sale, because what's it worth anyway?...

I did a fair bit of number crunching on the accessories and reconfirmed that the dealer- or port-installed accessories are the easiest place for them to pad profit. That's well-known, but when you compare those package prices even to Subaru's own retail price list, it's absurd what they charge. And if you're handy at all, most any of those packages/accessories are truly plug-and-play. So we'll add a few things at retail (or 25% below retail from ShopSubaruParts or wherever), and call it good.

So I hope to be around reading and learning and not just lurking anymore. I'll update as soon as we get a VIN and a timeline. The dealer said September and perhaps as soon as late August, but others not involved in the sale are saying October at the earliest for delivery.

All the best, and until then!

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
542 Posts
Nice forum name. Junior has been my nickname since second grade........and I'm 50 years old. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice forum name. Junior has been my nickname since second grade........and I'm 50 years old. :)
Nice to meet ya Jr! I'm right on your heels as far as the age goes.

I actually picked Junior as a screen name on LXforums because my dad was already known there with his hot 300C - old man driving fast and helping others to do the same... so when I joined, Junior just made sense and it stuck pretty fast. I kept the same avatar here as I always used there, which is a reference to all the hair grease I used for many many years and still then at that time. These days it's a bit fluffier and shorter but back then I usually had a pretty good pompadour popped up and slicked back. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
welcome and thanks for showing the numbers. our cars are similarly equipped but i bought my 21 sport in may 2021 right when inventory started getting tight. i paid a little under $30k OTD.
Yeah, I think the more transparency we can share, the better able we are to do our own negotiations. Nice job on yours!

one question i have: my rearview mirrors also have approach lights. does that mean they are also self-dimming?
I believe so - at least the way the options are currently configured. Option 0KO which is available by itself or included in Option CS2, ties both the approach light and the dimming exterior mirrors together. That may not be true for other model years though.

·
Registered
21 Sport
2,032 Posts
Yeah, I think the more transparency we can share, the better able we are to do our own negotiations. Nice job on yours!

I believe so - at least the way the options are currently configured. Option 0KO which is available by itself or included in Option CS2, ties both the approach light and the dimming exterior mirrors together. That may not be true for other model years though.
i guess i am oblivious to the effects of the feature. my neighbor has the same car and she complains about self-dimming mirrors but maybe she's too sensitive :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2017 MG Limited-->2023 PR Limited
21 Posts
Hi @Junior, did you get an official rundown of the 2023 exterior color choices in the various trims? Any mention of that one way or the other with your sales rep?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi @Junior, did you get an official rundown of the 2023 exterior color choices in the various trims? Any mention of that one way or the other with your sales rep?
I didn't; I did mention that the Desert Khaki was available again in some Special Edition (he didn't know that yet), and I watched as he scrolled through the available colors, but I wasn't making a note of them. So if you have a friendly dealer, they should be able to look them up for you, or I bet Planet Subaru on the web has it posted by now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'm looking at getting a skinny - but full height - spare to throw in the roof rack or to the side of the cargo area, and then use the original spare location for tools and maybe a small 5lb CO2 tank for remote refills. (I carry a 10lb'er in my FJ and get about 8-10 complete fill-ups out of each 10lb refill, inflating 4 big 33" tires from 18psi back to 36psi - it basically lasts one camping season per refill which costs about $15).

For 2023 I assume the stock tire size is unchanged from 2022, which was 225/60R17, or 27.6". The common 215/75R15 raises the height just 0.1" to 27.7"

So to get a tall skinny spare that fits the stock 17" rim (as on 2022 models), here are some options I found:

145/80-17 (Stock Spare)
Diameter : 26.1"
Width : 5.7"

155/80-17

Diameter : 26.8"
Width : 6.1"

165/80-17

Diameter : 27.4"
Width : 6.5"

155/90-17

Diameter : 28.0"
Width : 6.1"

I think the winner there is the 165/80-17, which is just 0.2" shorter than stock. Assuming it never gets used, and your tires do wear over time, that difference only becomes smaller as you put miles on. That's probably what I'll look at doing if I can decide where to keep it.

·
Registered
2021 Limited OP 31
38 Posts
Glad you could order what you wanted! I hate when dealers force accessories, protection packages, coatings, etc on you when you don't want them. The add-ons are almost always overpriced. I ordered my 2021 model late last year with no accessories and paid MSRP. I added auto-dimming homelink mirror (snagged a used one on ebay for $100), auto-dimming exterior mirrors, seatback protectors, and rear bumper cover myself. I was confident I could install them myself and I saved money by ordering them from a dealer online at a discounted price (and no sales tax).I also opted for some aftermarket accessories instead of OEM ones: WeatherTech Floor Liner HP and Rokblokz mud flaps. Under normal circumstances of buying one off the lot, I would have had to pay for all-weather mats and splash guards that I would immediately replace.

Reactions: Junior
1 - 10 of 10 Posts