Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
you may have noticed that we have recently had added to subaruxvforum.com a dedicated forum specifically for the new Subaru XV Hybrid. It has all the same sub-forums as the current 'XV General Discussion' forum currently has. We will shortly start to place any Hybrid related threads and posts within this forum. this will allow Hybrid owners a one spot spot to find all the related Q&A's regarding the XV Hybrid.
I/we understand that there may be some similarities that we currently have with the previous asperated XV models and we will do our best during the sorting period to provide redirects and link backs to an existing or similar thread.

Please be patient while this process is undertaken as it will take some time to filter through the thousands of threads and posts and place them into the correct sub forum.
Also please feel free to start utilising this forum.

Any XV Hybrid forum, sub-forum questions and suggestions can be directed to anyone of the moderator team.

Cheers Gaven

·
Registered
23 Posts
Great idea!

·
Registered
407 Posts
I don't see the point in all the different forums. One for the Hybrid specific components yes but the rest is redundant. For example, a hybrid owner has a dash rattle. That is exactly the same as a regular XV so by having 2 different places to have to search (not to mention all of the various subforums within), a lot of info will get overlooked and not shared.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
I don't see the point in all the different forums. One for the Hybrid specific components yes but the rest is redundant. For example, a hybrid owner has a dash rattle. That is exactly the same as a regular XV so by having 2 different places to have to search (not to mention all of the various subforums within), a lot of info will get overlooked and not shared.
Agreed, there are options to reduce the amount of sub-forums. Heaven forbid that the diesel reach more popular markets or dare I say, Subaru adds a turbo to the XV lineup. You wouldn't want to have all the same sub-forums for those added too.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
There may be a LOT of common ground, but I think it's cool that hybrid owners have a place that cater to their specific needs/interests. I would like to be able to share my own observations and ask others who've got similar concerns, those specific to hybrid powertrains. Well done!

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
There may be a LOT of common ground, but I think it's cool that hybrid owners have a place that cater to their specific needs/interests. I would like to be able to share my own observations and ask others who've got similar concerns, those specific to hybrid powertrains. Well done!
Well that can be addressed in many ways, but duplicating all the related forums and adding the title Hybrid to the new set-up is a poor choice. Is the Hybrid Off-Road forum any different than the regular models off-road forum? Can anyone explain what the differences are going to be? Wheres the diesel forum then? They're already available in some markets but no representation here for those members who already own them and participate.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Perhaps a compromise would serve hybrid owners well. Why not just have a forum dedicated to the hybrid powertrain and features which are exclusive to hybrid models? I didn't realize there was a global duplication of existing forums!

Reactions: good dog

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well that can be addressed in many ways, but duplicating all the related forums and adding the title Hybrid to the new set-up is a poor choice. Is the Hybrid Off-Road forum any different than the regular models off-road forum? Can anyone explain what the differences are going to be? Wheres the diesel forum then? They're already available in some markets but no representation here for those members who already own them and participate.
There is always room to ad and remove unnecessary sub forums. I'm unsure of what if any differences there are between the two variants, that was the primary reason is asked for them to be duplicated. Further Doug is completely correct in the fact that there is no diesel sub forums this will have to be addressed I suppose after we give it some thought.
So if members think that there are som sub forums we could do away with let the moderator team know and we will endeavor to have them removed.
On a personal level I also think there are too many sub forums there cannot be that many differences if we can reduce the size of the hybrid forum I personally don't think it would be a bad thing.

Cheers
Gaven

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Sorry, not a fan.

May as well have separate sub forums for manual or CVT transmissions!
You missed gavoons post, adjustments will be made.

As for a suggestion, take a look at the forums owner, Vertical Scope http://www.verticalscope.com/ forums at the bottom of the page, particularly any that would also incorporate hybrid models into an existing forum currently for ideas on how to integrate the needs of the various models and their owners need for separate discussion areas. Using prefixes in titles are another way that would alert members to specific model topics in the existing forums. More on your visit.

There will still need to be specific sub-forums for some models, but not an entire set of duplicates. As mentioned, look around at the various forums listed at the bottom of the page, just as many of their ideas have been absconded from other forums to work just as original thought was implemented. No shame in borrowing. Discuss the options with your Moderating team, hopefully by then they will all be Super Moderators with the same capabilities. Once all input has been taken and decided upon, contact CS (Community Support*) for some real time dialogue (this can be difficult with everyones time zones and I'm not sure how flexible they are with their hours) that way when you ask the question, and you'll be reading their response in seconds. My first question to Community Support would be... Why did you not explain the difference in Moderator vs Super Moderator and the difference in their capabilities?

*Primer; the forum here and the many others listed at the bottom of the page and hundreds others not seen, are owned by the Toronto, Canada based company Vertical Scope. Brilliant minds saw an opportunity to use existing forum platforms they purchased to run revenue generating ads and Vendors who pay a fee to participate in the forums. It took a few years before non-VS owned forums could do the same and become stable financially, some still require members donations or member fees. All these VS owned forums are run by non-paid forum members, some are existing Administrators and Moderators from the time of the purchase. Years ago the software developer had also introduced Super Moderator capabilities who can perform additional duties previously not available to plain Moderators and can do so in any forum where often Moderators were only given specific forums to Moderate, limiting the time to respond to issues in other forums. Forums with Super Moderators require fewer Moderators as they can be everywhere and carry on their duties in any of the forums (there is a loosely based formula).

*New forum platforms such as this one have Community Support (CS) in place of an Administrator although the title Admin still remains including Private Messages. They are the only ones (if the originals Administrators are non-existant) who can make software requests by the Super Moderators such as adding new forums, sub-forums etc. The problems I see is that more often than not Community Support are tech people, not automotive enthusiasts like many of us (no offense techies). On my home forum where I also Moderate, over the years of VS ownership, we've only come across a handful of car enthusiasts which easily help translate our requests for changes and have found many of the acting techie's simply participate on just tech forums (we've asked, really they're just different enthusiasts). They used to be contracted and moved frequently from forum to forum which often required going over the same things, frustrating when requesting changes. CS is now an integrated part of Vertical Scope, which should benefit the forums if they remain constant.
Sadly as gavoon can tell you and the many members (mostly Australians) who joined first. The forum was set up poorly and maintained by an absentee Administrator. Often if you did not find a forum that allowed you to link to Registration, you were **** out of luck becoming a member. It took a call to VS because the then Administrator was not responding to PM's or threads. Another Administrator stepped in and fixed things up, added some forums as gavoon and arnoldc (the first Super Moderators of the forum, ScoobyXV-L too) requested, but soon that Administrator was gone and that's pretty much how it was left till CS got set up.

Some forums are blessed by still having founding Administrators and Moderators (mostly changed to Super Moderator status), those Admins still have the title and the powers to make changes that a Super Moderator can't. I don't expect this forum to mirror my home forum SubaruForester.org, but I have presented food for thought, some of it taken. The use of discussion runs deep where I come from but also as Super Moderators we are all equals. I hope the same will be true of the new and existing team members. Theres competition or better considered allies that we should get along with ClubCrosstrek.com http://clubcrosstrek.com/ and now the XV Source http://xv-source.com/content.php?, many of our members participate on them too (although to much of the same cross-posting for my liking ).
If you haven't noticed, I'm not one to be shy or short of wind as you can gather.

Cheers Everyone
Doug

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Cheers to you as well! Thanks for shedding light on this. I know the forums are an organic entity, subject to change, and evolving as needed. I also know how trying it can be to satisfy everyone, so let me thank you for taking the reigns and helping us find our way in this GREAT online community. The moderators' efforts are very much appreciated!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
23 Posts
I can see where duplication of forums for shared features could be redundant.

However, I still stand by having some sort of Hybrid section.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
I can see where duplication of forums for shared features could be redundant.

However, I still stand by having some sort of Hybrid section.
So do I, I had recommended the growing need to both gavoon and rlouie, didn't expect it practically overnight or without discussion of the new Mods!

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
4,044 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback, guys! In response, and after some further discussion among the Mods, we've done a major consolidation of the hybrid section, at least for the time being. We definitely think it's a good idea to have a separate place for topics specifically related to the hybrid technology and drivetrain in the XV, and those subforums have been retained, and there's also a subforum where hybrid owners can discuss and compare mileage. For other topics, though, we've decided it's best to keep the discussions in a single location for now, since most of the other differences between the hybrid and non-hybrid models are fairly minor.

So to sum things up: if your topic specifically relates to the hybrid tech and drivetrain, or if you'd like to talk about hybrid mileage, post in the hybrid forum. For all other topics, where the hybrid and non-hybrid cars are similar, stick with the general forums, even if you happen to be driving a hybrid. Those topics will usually be relevant to everyone, and you'll see more readers this way.

We'll continue to keep an eye on the forum's organizational structure in the coming months, and may revisit things as the number of hybrid-related posts here increases.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I think this is a good move. Compressing the Hybrid topic threads is a practical step. And it is easier to scroll to the bottom of the page! I have "Mouser's Elbow!" LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts