Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! In the market for buying a used Subaru. Noticed a used 2016 Subaru that I wanted to test drive at a dealership. Never had a Subaru vehicle before so what should I be looking for when talking to dealership?

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
1,407 Posts
I'd say the price on a new one. Nothing wrong with a '16, I have one. But used car prices are stupid right now, people are getting more for a 2018 than what a new one costs. Add in better finance rates and new car warranty, plus improvements to the new platform.

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
1,407 Posts
I'd say the price on a new one. Nothing wrong with a '16, I have one. But used car prices are stupid right now, people are getting more for a 2018 than what a new one costs. Add in better finance rates and new car warranty, plus improvements to the new platform.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have a 16 khaki premium with a moonroof. I don’t plan on parting with it anytime soon. But with the current used car prices, I would sooner look for new also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 CrossTrek Premium CVT
18 Posts
We were in the same boat. Went looking for one 4-5 years old and found that we could order a new one for cheaper than anything used we could find '17 and newer. It took just over a month from order to delivery. Totally worth the wait.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,474 Posts
Ask the dealer for a vehicle history report (VHR) such as CarFax. Review it for any red flags such as multiple change of ownership, accidents, rust belt state registrations, etc. However, NEVER rely on a clean VHR because they often omit negative events (such as accidents and major repairs) that are not reported by insurance companies, body shops, etc. At best, a clean VHR is an ok to proceed with caution.

If the car is being sold by a Subaru dealer, ask to see any service records.

The best thing you can do is have a PRE-purchase inspection performed by a mechanic of YOUR choice, preferably one very familiar with Subarus such as an independent Subaru-only shop.

·
Registered
2020 Pearl White Crosstrek Sport with Eyesight, CVT
246 Posts
I'd also buy new if at all possible, with the price of used being so high.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
13,234 Posts
Ditto...

Also, consider that a 2021 is going to be worth a lot more when you sell/trade it than an 2016. It will have a factory warranty and won't need any major maintenance for years.

If you can wait a few months, see if a dealer can order a new one for you.

·
Registered
432 Posts
no way I would invest in a used car right now. I was in the market for a year before I pulled the trigger on my crosstrek and every single used vehicle I looked at had WAY too many miles for the price and the ones with less miles were basically $30 less a month than a brand new one.

You should definitely try getting approved for a new vehicle before you make your assessment. How much are they asking for the 2016 and how many miles? But it's a pretty universal feeling here. Even on a serious budget with the market being the way it is you'd be better off going new.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Crosstrek
15 Posts
Just to interject a small thing, I picked up a 2018 for the reasons mentioned on the global platform and actually agree with checking out a new vehicle. The problem, at least in this area, there are no new vehicles, especially imports. My dealers won't order a car, and you pretty much are stuck with picking from what they have on the lot, if any. If you have the time and aren't in a hurry, yes, try new, but keep in mind that if you're wanting to take advantage of trade in values, now is the time. When everything settles down and dealers have inventory or can order, the trade in values will go back down. With my 2018, it just hit a good balance of trade in value, cost of the 2018 X Trek (options/mileage) and lack of new vehicles to choose from. Hopefully your area is different, best of luck :)

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek limited
2 Posts
I also recommend looking at a new one! Last week I test drove a used 2020 premium and after I came back my salesman let me know that there was a new 2021 Limited coming in that was not sold! It was less money than what they were asking for the used one! Used car prices are completely ridiculous!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts