Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts
anyway; the tool seems to have worked so far, it grabbed about 350K files from the service manual site before i stopped it (looked to be grabbing some recursive files outside of the crosstrek manual)
its parsing right now to convert to offline viewing but once its done i'll report back if it load correctly while offline.
Did this work? Thinking of trying something similar unless it did not....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site is good. I just got my 2018 service manual through them. It's just under 7000 pages.
Yikes...that’s huge! I have the one for our ‘11 Outback and I don’t think it’s that big...

Before everyone gets too excited, I just want to clarify is it any different than the service manual? In theory, the service manual is what's delivered to the dealer.

If anyone does subscribe to the site, check to see if the engine bay fuse box matches the one in your 2018-2019 Crosstrek. The section I bought from factory-manuals.com does not, and they say the got it fro Subaru this week.

Please be aware of copyright issues with republishing the document.
...and companies have ways of stopping this to...just to avoid this type of thing...dang!

....ya' know, some people (like me) think it was reasonable for manufacturers to charge money for their service manuals when they had to go to all the expense of printing and shipping them; but that with PDF manuals, they should give them away at no charge...
Even with PDF manuals, I believe that there should be some level of charge by the manufacturers as they still had to put the manual together and as with any document released to the general public (rather than just internal use), there's some level of additional work that is done so that it's fit for public consumption. That additional effort and cost should be reasonably compensated for.

In addition, I can understand why Subaru (or any OEM for that matter) is concerned about copyright as these documents are their product and other publishers should not benefit from Subaru's efforts nor should bits of the document be taken out of context or potentially altered as it might be a safety concern for the public. Service manuals should be available in it's entirety and unaltered.

Having said the above, if the service manual is available to the public, then Subaru should make it more public friendly with additional sections that cover 'generally accepted' Subaru practices to make it easier for new Subaru owners to understand the 'Subaru way'.

The "Subaru way" is way different than Toyota. Having printed factory manuals (Toyota) vs a cryptic (to me) access for a limited time that offers little in the way of "how to". Not being able to disable systems when needed (ABS for one) without disabling other needed ones. Now granted I'm an old geezer that is definitely not embracing the direction technology is going. Some of it is very good, others not so much...

artosa

For those of you who are interested in a "off-line" service manual:

I used an on-line service where they use your VIN number and have some sort of script that will get all the service information specific to your car from the Subaru tech site. I got a single 8000-page pdf, complete with an index. It includes all the manuals as well as all the technical information (aka service manual). Not as clearly presented as printed old-style Honda service manuals, but pretty good and very useful for a DIY like me.

Discussion starter · #35 ·
You neglected to mention:

-what was the service that you used?

-How much did it cost?

They are legit - at least they provide the product that they advertise.

From their about Website:
About Us
Who are we?
We are a multinational company with employees all over the world. our head office is in Dubai, UAE.
What exactly do we offer you?

We offer you the exact repair manual, created for your exact car, and we do that, using your VIN car number.

We respect the copyright of the manufacturer, and we make sure that these pdf files can not be multiplied.

The expression "in stock" is imposed by Google. We do not actually have any manual in stock, but we can create any manual requested by the customer.

Can you confirm that this is current with the 18+ models?
(previous posts in this thread use the fuse box is as the example)
It's legit from my experience. I provided them with the VIN number, and they use it to get the service info from the Subaru tech site pertaining to my specific car (based on the VIN). The VIN and my name / email is embedded in the PDF.

Now I have an off-line document where I can search for specific stuff when I am repairing or modifying something :)

21 - 40 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.