Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had a regular oil change appointment last Friday that I arranged a week earlier. I received the notice for the brake light switch the Thursday before. Called the local dealer up right away & they added this to the work list right away. The very next morning, all was done! Happy camper!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just found out about the recall and had an accident in January. I couldn’t believe I rear ended someone whenI seen them stopped at the signal for ahead of me I downshifted and I still manage to rear end them with a good stopping Distance. It was almost the feeling like when you Get the rollover from the anti-lock brakes when you’re slamming on the brakes but I didn’t slam on the brakes it was almost like oh I don’t know look at disconnect feeling is the best way I can describe it right now. No reading about the recall I hear that it can cause all kinds of problems with ABS does anybody have any info on this or can you direct me in anyway on this

·
Registered
451 Posts
I just found out about the recall and had an accident in January. I couldn’t believe I rear ended someone whenI seen them stopped at the signal for ahead of me I downshifted and I still manage to rear end them with a good stopping Distance. It was almost the feeling like when you Get the rollover from the anti-lock brakes when you’re slamming on the brakes but I didn’t slam on the brakes it was almost like oh I don’t know look at disconnect feeling is the best way I can describe it right now. No reading about the recall I hear that it can cause all kinds of problems with ABS does anybody have any info on this or can you direct me in anyway on this
After reading your post describing the poor condition the car was in when you bought it,such as no rubber pad on the brake pedal,I would say that the brakes were just one more thing that they didn't check.The behavior of the brakes sounds like glazed and warped rotors from being overheated.

As for the brake light switch.That had nothing to do with your incident.It has nothing to do with the actual operation of the brakes themselves.Usually it will just cause a few warning lights to come on so if there is a problem you will know it.It can cause the shifter of a CVT car to get stuck in park.It can cause the brake lights to not come on.It can also cause a car with keyless ignition to not start.It's really nothing to worry about but you should call the dealer to make an appointment to get it changed ASAP.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just had the brake light switch recall performed on my 2016 Crosstrek on July 3rd. Took all of 40 minutes to perform.

As my wife was leaving the dealership, she noticed the car wasn't reacting like it did before having the switch replaced. It didn't accelerate as fast as it used to, it had an occasional vibration in the steering wheel, and it didn't coast when you took your foot off the gas, it just started slowing down. The car was acting like the brakes were dragging. There was even a weird odor in the garage after a 10 mile highway trip and both front rims were very hot to the touch.

Contacted the dealer to explain the problem and they assured me that this recall would not cause any of these problems and that I must have a stuck caliper. I told the service manager that I find it to much of a coincidence that both front calipers got stuck at the exact same time after a service call.

They took the car in right away and found the new switch was installed improperly. The switch itself was pushing the brake pedal down far enough to partially apply the front brakes. They adjusted the switch and all of the above problems went away. Then they tried to give me the excuse that they have seen instances where the switch wasn't installed close enough to the brake pedal and the brake lights were on all of the time so they modified the procedure to install the switch closer to the pedal. I asked to see the actual procedure and it says how to adjust the new switch. To me, it looks like the technician wasn't following the procedure properly.

Did anyone else have a similar problem?

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
I just had the brake light switch recall performed on my 2016 Crosstrek on July 3rd. Took all of 40 minutes to perform.

As my wife was leaving the dealership, she noticed the car wasn't reacting like it did before having the switch replaced. It didn't accelerate as fast as it used to, it had an occasional vibration in the steering wheel, and it didn't coast when you took your foot off the gas, it just started slowing down. The car was acting like the brakes were dragging. There was even a weird odor in the garage after a 10 mile highway trip and both front rims were very hot to the touch.

Contacted the dealer to explain the problem and they assured me that this recall would not cause any of these problems and that I must have a stuck caliper. I told the service manager that I find it to much of a coincidence that both front calipers got stuck at the exact same time after a service call.

They took the car in right away and found the new switch was installed improperly. The switch itself was pushing the brake pedal down far enough to partially apply the front brakes. They adjusted the switch and all of the above problems went away. Then they tried to give me the excuse that they have seen instances where the switch wasn't installed close enough to the brake pedal and the brake lights were on all of the time so they modified the procedure to install the switch closer to the pedal. I asked to see the actual procedure and it says how to adjust the new switch. To me, it looks like the technician wasn't following the procedure properly.

Sounds to me that they probably had the lot attendant (you know, the person that normally does such a 'great' job at putting scratches in the paint while 'washing' your car) do the work and no-one double-checked their work.

·
Registered
1 Posts

My daughter is having a similar problem with her Crosstrek. It will occasionally lose power (generally going uphill). I've experienced it myself. You have your foot on the accelerator and it's as if you don't. The car will go from 50mph and 30mph, then just go back to acting normal. She says one time it happened a bunch of lights came on. She says it started happening after they replaced the brake switch. I wish she had told me this as we've already taken it back to Subaru and they couldn't find anything wrong. Now I'll have to mention it to them and take it back. Considering I just dropped my daughter off at college and I live over 200 miles away, this is a major inconvenience for me. 😕 I also feel the car is running a bit rough on startup. She only uses name-brand gasoline. I was thinking maybe a clogged injector/bad gas/transmission slipping issue, but I'm seeing more of these complaints online.

·
Registered
451 Posts
My daughter is having a similar problem with her Crosstrek. It will occasionally lose power (generally going uphill). I've experienced it myself. You have your foot on the accelerator and it's as if you don't. The car will go from 50mph and 30mph, then just go back to acting normal. She says one time it happened a bunch of lights came on. She says it started happening after they replaced the brake switch.
It sounds to me like the brake light switch wasn't pushed in far enough to fully depress the button on the switch.With the fly by wire throttle,there's no physical connection between the throttle pedal and the engine.To prevent unintended acceleration,the computer is programed to obey the command to stop,over any input to the throttle,via the brake light switch.If the button on the switch is right at the point that contact is intermittent then that will cause your cars behavior.Adjust the BLS in just a tiny bit more and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
On a related note, I am told that both of my stop lights aren't functioning after this recall was done, but they would replace them for a charge! I pick it up on Monday so we'll hopefully see what the issue is then

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have to disagree that the brake light switch only impacts the lights coming on and not functionality. On my car, the ABS system, traction control, hill start assist, and several other systems all reporting problems and some of them report they are disabled. Subaru dealers are telling me there's no fix and won't replace the brake light switch. My car is very difficult to start and very difficult to take out of park. Pretty sure I have no brake lights 99% of the time. Reached out to Subaru customer care tonight.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Got a Subaru recall letter for the BLS.
With all the problems folks are having after going to a dealer... I'm not going to a dealer for the recall.
In the recall it says if you use some aerosol in the foot area where the BLS located it might not function as intended.
I never use any aerosols to clean the dashboard... just plain Viking wipes.
Anyway my 2015 XV Crosstrek with 80K drives like a charm.

Can anyone post a P/N of the BLS?
I might order one from Ebay and replace myself later.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts
About this Discussion
69 Replies
32 Participants
Everglade
Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
At Subaru XV Forum you'll find fellow Subaru XV Enthusiasts to help perfect that Subaru Crosstrek Build, or share all kinds of information about this Subaru from its specs to its design.
Full Forum Listing