Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

My wife and I are looking to buy a Crosstrek in the next month and are looking for some guidance. We are in SoCal, and it will be mostly just a daily commuter for my wife. She loves the look and the blues and orange colors. I've been researching more specs about the vehicle and think I have narrowed the scope a bit. I'm wondering if anyone has any specific advice when looking to buy? I didn't see a buyers guide posted anywhere here, but if I've missed it, I'm sorry! We are planning to do a test drive in the next 2 weeks at a local dealership. She hates how large her vehicle is now and how low it is (bottoming out daily isn't fun). We have another vehicle with 4 wheel drive already, but she likes the idea of being able to drive on any terrain (within reason) without fear of doing damage.

So we are thinking of buying used, 2016 or newer. I'd be OK with the Premium but I think she'll prefer Limited (comes with EyeSight, right?).

Anyway, looking forward to talking to you all! :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I can only speak on a 2019. I got mine for about 23k new. Depending on your price cap try to find an 18 pre owned. Before I gave in to the 2019 I was looking on bank repo sites for little SUV so you can take a look there.

Sent from my H8296 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
308 Posts
I can only speak on a 2019. I got mine for about 23k new. Depending on your price cap try to find an 18 pre owned. Before I gave in to the 2019 I was looking on bank repo sites for little SUV so you can take a look there.

Ditto it being best to try to get into a 2018+ if its in the cards. A lot of improvements were made in the second generation.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,262 Posts
I third that - you should be able to get an '18 for a good price now that the '20s just came out (and there's almost no difference between the '18 and '20).

Sorry, I don't have any experience with the used car market here but have had good experiences with Glendale and Van Nuys. Our local is Santa Monica where we've had services, and Marina del Rey's internet departmen was good to deal with, but neither had the cars we were looking for at the times we wanted to purchase.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honestly the price isn't too much of an issue. Just generally don't like buying new cars because they don't keep their value well. Maybe that's an old mentality? Good to know about the year, we will limit the search to 2018 and up!

@bovpassat is there a reason you recommend the premium over the limited?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Was just a cost reason. If it's not an issue then go for it. I think it's just led lights, leather, and wheels you get going up to premium. To me it wasn't worth it. I went premium with a manual transmission as that was my best manual option

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
We love the Limiteds - the bigger display was one of the factors for us...

·
Registered
308 Posts
Honestly the price isn't too much of an issue. Just generally don't like buying new cars because they don't keep their value well. Maybe that's an old mentality? Good to know about the year, we will limit the search to 2018 and up!

@bovpassat is there a reason you recommend the premium over the limited?
Not an old mentality at all! That being said Subaru's hold their value very well (I want to say I have seen that they are the #1 best brand for holding value but can't be positive). They also hold up very well mechanically and in general stand behind their products in the relative long term. A lot of people stay in their same Subaru for 10+ years for this very reason.

A very large number of 18 Premiums were produced with Eyesight, meaning that you could keep the wife happy AND save a buck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is great info, thanks everyone!

Anything else to consider?

Oh, random question. I've seen some on the road in a lighter blue, I believe it's called "Hyper Blue". From a pretty quick search looks like that was maybe only an option on the 2016. Is that right?

·
Registered
6,262 Posts

Oh, random question. I've seen some on the road in a lighter blue, I believe it's called "Hyper Blue". From a pretty quick search looks like that was maybe only an option on the 2016. Is that right?
Correct, not an option with the new generation '18+

Eyesight is great. I'm not a fan of the onboard nav and with the Android Auto and Apple CarPlay in the new gen, you don't need it.

·
Registered
308 Posts

possible. You may also be seeing the cool grey khaki (CGK) which is a wonderful color!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
I've heard the dealers will actually pay you to take the orange ones off their lot, so they don't scare off other customers... 😸

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi there!

My wife and I are looking to buy a Crosstrek in the next month and are looking for some guidance. We are in SoCal, and it will be mostly just a daily commuter for my wife. She loves the look and the blues and orange colors. I've been researching more specs about the vehicle and think I have narrowed the scope a bit. I'm wondering if anyone has any specific advice when looking to buy? I didn't see a buyers guide posted anywhere here, but if I've missed it, I'm sorry! We are planning to do a test drive in the next 2 weeks at a local dealership. She hates how large her vehicle is now and how low it is (bottoming out daily isn't fun). We have another vehicle with 4 wheel drive already, but she likes the idea of being able to drive on any terrain (within reason) without fear of doing damage.

So we are thinking of buying used, 2016 or newer. I'd be OK with the Premium but I think she'll prefer Limited (comes with EyeSight, right?).

Anyway, looking forward to talking to you all! :)
Just curious as to what she is driving at the moment. It's large and low, but if it has power that's what she's going to notice her first test drive. As long as she doesn't care to drive like a bat out of hell then she'll be more than happy with this car. My only gripe was cargo space, but just solved it with a roof box.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just curious as to what she is driving at the moment. It's large and low, but if it has power that's what she's going to notice her first test drive. As long as she doesn't care to drive like a bat out of hell then she'll be more than happy with this car. My only gripe was cargo space, but just solved it with a roof box.
She’s coming from a 2007 Chevy Impala. It’s a boat! It was a gift though and it’s served its purpose. She doesn’t drive to fast, so I think she’ll be fine. And we don’t haul much except for two small dogs. We also have an FJ so we have plenty of space if we need it.

I've heard the dealers will actually pay you to take the orange ones off their lot, so they don't scare off other customers... 😸
Oh really?! Lol, is orange not a popular color?

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Oh really?! Lol, is orange not a popular color?
Well, I did add a smiley cat face! 😸

Some folks love them. Other AstroKat went from a silver Lexus to a dark grey metallic Crosstrek. During one of the first trips to the dealership they tried to get her into an orange one. When she saw it, her reaction was, "Oh, god no!"

I'm probably now in trouble with the super moderator here who has an orange one... 😸

1 - 20 of 25 Posts