Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

41 - 60 of 604 Posts

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
New firmware is out in the US.

1) You can now turn off the radio and it will stay off the next time you start the car. As per the owners manual you must press AND hold the Vol/Mute button till the screen turns off.
2) Navigation Update now provides the 20 digit code needed to register you car for map updates. I haven't had a chance to play with this yet, but after a year I hope there's been some updates.
Haven't noticed any other changes. I'm hoping some of the radio lockups and freezes have been addressed, but it's not easily reproduced so only time will tell.
Also after the update your presets are reset. You'll have to set them up again.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forum...79-new-software-18-infotainment-released.html

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
10,250 Posts
1) You can now turn off the radio and it will stay off the next time you start the car. As per the owners manual you must press AND hold the Vol/Mute button till the screen turns off.
That doesn't make sense - what if you want to turn off the radio but keep the screen on for nav, etc.?

Anyone here have the new version yet?

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Here’s the meat of it courtesy of https://www.impreza5.com/forum/26-e...g/12456-new-hk-headunit-update-available.html

Bulletin Number: 15-211-17R; Revised 07/25/18 Page 4 of 17
• Operation of the head unit after switching the ignition off and back on has been revised:
PREVIOUS Version: The head unit power is turned OFF by pressing the Power/Volume knob for 4 or more seconds. On the next ignition ON, the display remains OFF / black while the audio begins playing automatically. This was the prior characteristic operation.
NEW Version: The head unit power is turned OFF by pressing the Power/Volume knob for 4 or more seconds. On the next ignition ON, the display remains OFF / black and the audio will also be OFF until the Power/Volume knob is pressed to turn the head unit back ON.
NOTE:
• The Mute function of the Power / Volume knob (a brief press and release of the Power / Volume knob to mute audio output) is unchanged.
• A “system reboot” function is initiated by pressing and holding the Power / Volume button for 10 seconds. This feature was included as part of the previous (11/2017) software update.
• An enhancement of Voice Recognition feature has been made for improved HVAC system interface and recognition of temperatures requested in Fahrenheit instead of Celsius. EXAMPLE: “Set temperature to 75.” With the previous version, the system interpreted “75” as degrees Celsius which would have been 167 degrees Fahrenheit and outside system parameters. As a result, there was no response from the HVAC system.
Additional Symptoms and Enhancements addressed by previous updates and also included in this latest (July 2018) update:
1- No streaming audio. When using the Pandora® app, there is no audio output.
Continued...
Bulletin Number: 15-211-17R; Revised 07/25/18 Page 5 of 17

2- “Media is loading” is displayed on the screen but, the media never completes loading.
3- The screen freezes when the STARLINK screen is displayed.
NOTE: The following conditions were addressed in the previous software version update (and WTN-74R) but, this one update incorporates all prior updates.
1- Radio station presets disappear (touch screen buttons return to “Initializing”).
Continued...
Bulletin Number: 15-211-17R; Revised 07/25/18
Page 6 of 17

2- STARLINK “Telematics Service in Progress” screen freezes.
3- Apple Car Play / Android Auto function does not operate (“No Device Connected”).
4- The complete guidance route can be displayed.
5- A Longitude and Latitude search feature has been added.
6- A “Beep” notification feature has been added for driving time and rest periods.
For reference, the previously released WTN-74R symptoms are also provided below. The main purpose of WTN-74R was to address display screen freeze-up during Back-Up Camera display (when the shifter is in “R”). In addition, the screen may also freeze when either the Subaru STARLINK or Disclaimer Caution / I Agree screen is displayed.
Continued...
Bulletin Number: 15-211-17R; Revised 07/25/18 Page 7 of 17

The previously released WTN-74R updates also addressed these additional operational conditions:
1) After switching the vehicle (ACC or IGN) on, the display screen goes black with no audio output and the hard key buttons are illuminated (on solid, or flashing / blinking).
2) Time of day displayed in the MFD (Multi-Function Display) is incorrect and the arrival time displayed in Navigation units is also incorrect.
3) The time in the MFD automatically reverts to a “default” setting, even after setting the time using “Manual” mode.
4) Audio volume goes to maximum automatically after one click of the volume up button on the steering wheel. In some cases, this condition may also occur without input from the operator. Maximum volume is also displayed on the screen.
Continued...
Bulletin Number: 15-211-17R; Revised 07/25/18 Page 8 of 17

·
Prefers non-orange cars
10,250 Posts
• Operation of the head unit after switching the ignition off and back on has been revised:
PREVIOUS Version: The head unit power is turned OFF by pressing the Power/Volume knob for 4 or more seconds. On the next ignition ON, the display remains OFF / black while the audio begins playing automatically. This was the prior characteristic operation.
NEW Version: The head unit power is turned OFF by pressing the Power/Volume knob for 4 or more seconds. On the next ignition ON, the display remains OFF / black and the audio will also be OFF until the Power/Volume knob is pressed to turn the head unit back ON.
NOTE:
• The Mute function of the Power / Volume knob (a brief press and release of the Power / Volume knob to mute audio output) is unchanged.
My reading of this is that to get the radio to stay off, you have to completely power off the HU. That's what makes no sense to me. If I don't want the radio blaring but I still want nav, etc. I'm going to have to continue to do what I have been doing, which is to turn the volume to zero.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
That doesn't make sense - what if you want to turn off the radio but keep the screen on for nav, etc.?

Anyone here have the new version yet?
I have a service in the next few weeks and hope SC will release it by then. We seem to lag behind SOA by a week or two, for some reason.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
My reading of this is that to get the radio to stay off, you have to completely power off the HU. That's what makes no sense to me. If I don't want the radio blaring but I still want nav, etc. I'm going to have to continue to do what I have been doing, which is to turn the volume to zero.
I’d assume navi bypasses this in the same way the reverse camera would have to, and does today.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
10,250 Posts
I’d assume navi bypasses this in the same way the reverse camera would have to, and does today.
The backup camera may override but I don't see how you could use Android Auto to navigate or make a phone call if you've just completely shut off the HU. I just read the rest of the Outback thread and one poster confirmed that it only stayed off with the long press. That would be easy to test now, even without the update.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I think what happens is that the button shuts off the entarntainment part of the system. It can’t kill the full system. Not sure if you’ve noticed but even with the system “off” the screen is still powered. I think that just like the wife’s Infiniti, the Subaru navigation and Bluetooth will work normally.

How that affects Android Auto? I assume that renders it useless because AA seems to about streaming media and navigation tools. If the radio is off, media isn’t an concern which isn’t an issue if you have Subi navigation. I don’t use AA but I just read you have to access it via the apps screen so I assume the radio has to be on for it to work anyway.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
10,250 Posts
I think what happens is that the button shuts off the entarntainment part of the system. It can’t kill the full system. Not sure if you’ve noticed but even with the system “off” the screen is still powered. I think that just like the wife’s Infiniti, the Subaru navigation and Bluetooth will work normally.

How that affects Android Auto? I assume that renders it useless because AA seems to about streaming media and navigation tools. If the radio is off, media isn’t an concern which isn’t an issue if you have Subi navigation. I don’t use AA but I just read you have to access it via the apps screen so I assume the radio has to be on for it to work anyway.
Just checked and in fact it's the opposite, LOL...

With the long press the screen and radio goes off but the buttons remain illuminated. Pressing any of them (e.g. trying to use the on-board nav), or the steering wheel button to make a phone call, turns everything back on, including the radio! However, with the HU off, plugging in an Android or iPhone goes to Android Auto or Car Play WITHOUT the radio coming back on.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
10,250 Posts
Just checked and in fact it's the opposite, LOL...

With the long press the screen and radio goes off but the buttons remain illuminated. Pressing any of them (e.g. trying to use the on-board nav), or the steering wheel button to make a phone call, turns everything back on, including the radio! However, with the HU off, plugging in an Android or iPhone goes to Android Auto or Car Play WITHOUT the radio coming back on.
p.s. and the backup camera does work if the screen is turned off.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
p.s. and the backup camera does work if the screen is turned off.
Anyway, the new software is out and hopefully it solves some issues.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
10,250 Posts
Anyway, the new software is out and hopefully it solves some issues.
Again, if I'm reading it correctly, I don't see anything that's worth rushing to a dealer over. Most of what's listed in the post you shared from the Impreza forum was included in previous updates. So if you're already on Rel 2.17.43.20 this is all you get with the new release:

1. The head unit power is turned OFF by pressing the Power/Volume knob for 4 or more seconds. On the next ignition ON, the display remains OFF / black and the audio will also be OFF until the Power/Volume knob is pressed to turn the head unit back ON.

2. An enhancement of Voice Recognition feature has been made for improved HVAC system interface and recognition of temperatures requested in Fahrenheit instead of Celsius. EXAMPLE: “Set temperature to 75.” With the previous version, the system interpreted “75” as degrees Celsius which would have been 167 degrees Fahrenheit and outside system parameters. As a result, there was no response from the HVAC system.

With #1 I've already determined that's not a good solution to keep the radio turned off, so that just leaves #2. Am I missing something?

Reactions: Doca

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I don’t see any big differences either and the voice controlled HVAC isn’t relevant to use frosty northerners but I prefer #1 and will be getting it done at next service, provided Canuck release.

If I find the actual TSB, I’ll post a link.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I am a little confused. Is this new version suppose to fix the freezing of the backup camera or was the previous version? I have the first update and the camera froze twice after that update.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I am a little confused. Is this new version suppose to fix the freezing of the backup camera or was the previous version? I have the first update and the camera froze twice after that update.
That should have been fixed with the last update; in December?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hey All,

For what it's worth, I just had mine updated to 18.22.20 and while I noticed all around head unit performance improvements, I have yet to get Android Auto to work again since. My button will not light up.
I have no idea why or what anyone else's experience has been but it's frustrating to say the least. :(

Chris

·
Prefers non-orange cars
10,250 Posts
Hey All,

For what it's worth, I just had mine updated to 18.22.20 and while I noticed all around head unit performance improvements, I have yet to get Android Auto to work again since. My button will not light up.
I have no idea why or what anyone else's experience has been but it's frustrating to say the least. :(

Chris
What happens when you plug in your phone to the USB? Anything?

What phone make, model and version of Android do you have?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm very disappointed in the HU in my 2018 Crosstrek. I was hoping that an update would make it function properly for basic tasks. For example, many times when I start my vehicle and wait a few minutes to go to the phone, the HU tells me there is no phone connected.................the whole time it is playing music from my phone. The only solution is to disconnect the phone, then reconnect.

I have the basic 6" HU and connecting with a Moto G5 Plus phone. I don't even try to use Android Auto, it's a frustrating joke.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It's interesting that the release notes don't address the fix to media playback.

- Playlists and albums can now be played in tracking order. Previously, they would only play in alphabetical order.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
It's interesting that the release notes don't address the fix to media playback.

- Playlists and albums can now be played in tracking order. Previously, they would only play in alphabetical order.
Do you happen to have a source for the full release notes?

41 - 60 of 604 Posts