Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

541 - 560 of 571 Posts

·
Registered
'19 Limited Orange Boi
10 Posts
Are non-nav users getting the newest update now? I'm curious if someone emailed me the nav folder if i could extract the update files myself.

Hook a boy up Astro?😇

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #544
Are non-nav users getting the newest update now? I'm curious if someone emailed me the nav folder if i could extract the update files myself.

Hook a boy up Astro?😇
I don’t think anybody has tried to install the nav software on the non-nav. I think it’ll either outright fail when it won’t know what to do with it or be a complete success when the unit updates the firmware but ignores the map. Either way, I’m not going to risk bricking mine. If I was replacing the head unit and had the file, I would try.

I’m still curious as to what happens when our warranties are up....

In the voice of William Dozier: Will WiFi updates ever become a reality for the fabulous flat 4 and can we get them after the warranty period? Tune in next fall to find out; same Subaru time, same Subaru channel.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,909 Posts
Thanks @Doca I was waiting until I had time to look at the files before responding. Unfortunately, I already re-used the USB drive for something else so it means downloading them again.

I strongly suspect you're right because the TSB and instructions for the Subaru tech makes it very clear that there are different versions of the firmware for the different trim level HUs. I'm thinking that best case, it would just fail on install and worst case you'll have a very expensive paperweight mounted in your dash... 😸

·
Registered
186 Posts
Since you have to input your VIN in order to download, I believe that is the beginning of the software checks for what needs to be downloaded. Furthermore checksums are done for each file along with verification of the package. With that said, I’m pretty sure an attempted installation using a Nav package into a non-Nav will fail. Just consider the overall design differences of the HU’s. In as much as there’s some similarities the overall HU packages are considerably different. Unless you want to spend some $4 to fix a mess I would not suggest messing with any package not meant for your HU. The interdependencies of so many sub components could really ruin your vehicle.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Since you have to input your VIN in order to download, I believe that is the beginning of the software checks for what needs to be downloaded. Furthermore checksums are done for each file along with verification of the package. With that said, I’m pretty sure an attempted installation using a Nav package into a non-Nav will fail. Just consider the overall design differences of the HU’s. In as much as there’s some similarities the overall HU packages are considerably different. Unless you want to spend some $4 to fix a mess I would not suggest messing with any package not meant for your HU. The interdependencies of so many sub components could really ruin your vehicle.
That is....if you mess up.

·
Registered
'19 Limited Orange Boi
10 Posts
That is....if you mess up.
Makes sense. I haven't had the chance to see what those files look like. I figure it's probably some silly .cfg file that is checked against the installer. Starlink appears to be a heavily modified Android OS, but I also don't want to risk bricking it because from what I understand, the headunit is essential to the function of a lot of the other on-board features. Which is why you can't swap it out for an after market HU.

I still wouldn't mind getting my hands on the files if someone is willing. :censored:

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
I think it will cost more than $4 if you brick the HU... 😸

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Here's the file list:

And the contents of the log file:

VARIANT : NAFTA
LOGFILE : E:\Jenkins\slave\workspace\Subaru_Gen3_Release_Gen3.0_VER5.1\project\build\images\KaliSWDL\KaliSWDL.log
MODELYEAR : MY2017
BUILD VERSION : Rel_A1.19.45.20
BUILD YEAR : 19
BUILD WEEK : 45
BUILD PATCH : 20
BUILD TYP : 1
BUILD BRANCH : Rel
BUILD VP : High
The system cannot find the file specified.
  • BuildType - 1
  • Build Branch - Rel
  • Build Version Year - 19
  • Build version Week - 45
  • Build Version Patch - 20
  • Model Year - MY2017
  • Market - NA
  • Market - NA
  • VP - High
..................................................................................................................................

Total time = 1
Done.
WARNING: can't open config file: /usr/local/ssl/openssl.cnf
Could Not Find E:\Jenkins\slave\workspace\Subaru_Gen3_Release_Gen3.0_VER5.1\project\build\images\KaliSWDL\swdl.iso.digest
Could Not Find E:\Jenkins\slave\workspace\Subaru_Gen3_Release_Gen3.0_VER5.1\project\build\images\KaliSWDL\swdl.iso.digest.sha256

·
Registered
316 Posts
I looked at copying the files to my mediafire, but they’re too large with not enough free space on mediafire (my old tree account).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just took a peek at a tsb @AstroKats https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10169851-0001.pdf

page 14 for a nice changelist
This was for Rel_UA.19.42.70

Code:
Conditions Addressed By Update #4:
1) Navigation Route Calculation takes too much time.
2) SXM Preset Program List is lost.
3) Enhanced CD (e-CD) does not play.
4) Voice recognition (VR) does not operate correctly.
5) When the ignition switch is turned on, music in USB memory goes back to track #1
6) Phonebook cannot be downloaded from a connected smart phone.
7) When the ignition switch is turned on, a message of ‘Invalid Destination Code’ is displayed.
8) When using voice recognition for route searching, the state name is recognized wrong.
9) When MOTA (Map update Over The Air) is conducted, the map display goes blank (white) temporarily.  In   case the customer terminates the MOTA when in this condition, the map stays blank (white).  See NOTE 1 below.
10) Hands Free conversation volume not loud enough compared to the audio volume (unfavorable balance).  See NOTE 2 below.
11) Added function for SXM Weather Alert setup

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hmmm. Just wondering if any of the other Canadian owners have checked their software versions, and what their latest version may be, I am sure I checked mine the other day, the WiFi check said I had the latest version available, and when I checked the version it was 19.12. Something ( will get the full number next time I am in the car). This is for the Canadian sport model with the 3.1 8” screen without nav. I can see the potential for the version to be different ( since we do not have the full star link services activated in the 19 model year (which mine is)) . I can also see the update over WiFi not being available, but if the software version should be the same as the US version, than my dealer didn’t update it before they gave me the car at the end of November. I haven’t had too many problems ( the odd issue with android auto not connecting, much improved with a different cable), but would like to ensure I have the newest software for the head unit in the car. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Hmmm. Just wondering if any of the other Canadian owners have checked their software versions, and what their latest version may be, I am sure I checked mine the other day, the WiFi check said I had the latest version available, and when I checked the version it was 19.12. Something ( will get the full number next time I am in the car). This is for the Canadian sport model with the 3.1 8” screen without nav. I can see the potential for the version to be different ( since we do not have the full star link services activated in the 19 model year (which mine is)) . I can also see the update over WiFi not being available, but if the software version should be the same as the US version, than my dealer didn’t update it before they gave me the car at the end of November. I haven’t had too many problems ( the odd issue with android auto not connecting, much improved with a different cable), but would like to ensure I have the newest software for the head unit in the car. Thanks in advance.
Those two number are the year and week, so that's a pretty old version (March 2019). The Wi-Fi updates are confusing and not all cars seem to be able to get them. I got one in August but this latest one in December was only available with a map download.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well I will check the version number the next time I am in it to confirm, and then see what the dealer has to say. The car just got into the dealer from the factory at the end of October when I got it, doesn’t mean it didn’t have older software from the factory, would have thought updating to the newest version would be one of their pre delivery checks. Like I said I can also see Canadian versions having different software versions, due to differences on features being enabled, but I would hope that the latest version would be at the same time as the last non nav update in the states.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Well I will check the version number the next time I am in it to confirm, and then see what the dealer has to say. The car just got into the dealer from the factory at the end of October when I got it, doesn’t mean it didn’t have older software from the factory, would have thought updating to the newest version would be one of their pre delivery checks. Like I said I can also see Canadian versions having different software versions, due to differences on features being enabled, but I would hope that the latest version would be at the same time as the last non nav update in the states.
US, Canadian and Mexican markets all have the same version but not necessarily made available at the same time. And, yes, they often come from the factory with older firmware versions. Since the updates are not recalls (except for one, a while ago) the dealers are not obliged to do the update, only if a customer complains about something not working.

Also, check out this sticky thread: Model Year 2018 and Newer - Pre-Delivery Checklist

541 - 560 of 571 Posts