Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

521 - 540 of 571 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
I received a few Ice Storm alerts today but it seems to fit the weather patterns.
Iam confused with these HU’s and all the updates. I posted my most recent software version but today I went into the dealer setup area and got some product info...

From what I’m hearing these gen 3 and 3.1 are pretty similar. The kicker I’m getting at is the manufacturing date seems to be playing big in this. My 2019 was built 6/2019. I’m giving up on this before my brain explodes. I wish Subaru wasn’t so closed with its info and software.
Im going to contact Subaru in the morning and see what I get. There should be an area on the Subaru site where you input your VIN and you get all the up to date magical details.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,909 Posts
Settings/Sirius XM Settings/Sirius XM Alert Setting/
Thanks but our '18 doesn't have those settings. We also don't have a subscription any more, do you?

I received a few Ice Storm alerts today but it seems to fit the weather patterns.
Iam confused with these HU’s and all the updates. I posted my most recent software version but today I went into the dealer setup area and got some product info...

From what I’m hearing these gen 3 and 3.1 are pretty similar. The kicker I’m getting at is the manufacturing date seems to be playing big in this. My 2019 was built 6/2019. I’m giving up on this before my brain explodes. I wish Subaru wasn’t so closed with its info and software.
Im going to contact Subaru in the morning and see what I get. There should be an area on the Subaru site where you input your VIN and you get all the up to date magical details.
It's pretty simple - there are currently two versions of the HU, 3.0 and 3.1, which are almost identical and each has its own firmware version. Yours is a 3.1 so you need 19.42.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks but our '18 doesn't have those settings. We also don't have a subscription any more, do you?
I have just renewed my SXM radio subscription, but I also have the free 3 year traffic and weather, etc., same as your cars. The weather alerts are part of Travel Link, free for three years. Neither your 2018 nor 2019 Crosstreks have the option in their HUs of turning off the alerts the way I can?

Doug

Hang on.... I just re-read several of your posts. So your issue is with your 2018 only? Because it's a 3.0 HU, right? Your 2019 works like mine which is the 3.1 HU?

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
I have just renewed my SXM radio subscription, but I also have the free 3 year traffic and weather, etc., same as your cars. The weather alerts are part of Travel Link, free for three years. Neither your 2018 nor 2019 Crosstreks have the option in their HUs of turning off the alerts the way I can?

Doug

Hang on.... I just re-read several of your posts. So your issue is with your 2018 only? Because it's a 3.0 HU, right? Your 2019 works like mine which is the 3.1 HU?
OAK's mom's '19 is a bad example as it has an SXM subscription but does not have nav, so I can't install the latest firmware on it. It does not have the alert setting option.

Probably best if we continue this in the other thread, as it's only peripherally related to the firmware.

If anyone has an '18 with an active SXM subscription, please could you see if you have the menu options for alerts that @DAG posted and let us know here, thx:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Had my 2019 Sport with 8" HU non Nav or HK dealer upgraded to 1.19.22.70 from 1.18.38.50 last week with much appreciated input from a different thread.
The HU seems slightly more responsive now and door speakers sound cutting out and becoming very distorted issues have not reappeared so far. Android Auto connectivity also seems better now.
One bug that I've seen a few times and it's that sometimes after starting the car it will normally default to USB media but the last XM channel info is shown instead. Not a killer bug by any means.

One thing that is very apparent is the change in sound signature. This is possibly due to a change in the equalization curve that this and many stock HU's use to "compensate" for cheap "stock" speakers.The sound is now more flat and bass drop off when the volume is over 22 or so seems reduced , a good thing actually since I'me not using stock speakers. The sounds seems cleaner as well. Like it's been said here a few times, I wish they would supply proper update descriptions.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Yep, 1.19.22.70 is a much better version than 1.18.38.50 and I don't think you'll gain much with the very latest, if and when it's available to everyone...

·
Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
228 Posts
The obvious solution for Subaru is to provide updates to their customer's minds. We will eventually be able to believe what they tell us the weather is. I just had my brain washed and I can't seem to do a thing with it. Look out if the new USB connection looks like an ear plug. Personally I have installed two updates and not noticed any change for anything that I do or places I go. Seems a bit of a waste of time.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Had my 2019 Sport with 8" HU non Nav or HK dealer upgraded to 1.19.22.70 from 1.18.38.50 last week with much appreciated input from a different thread.
The HU seems slightly more responsive now and door speakers sound cutting out and becoming very distorted issues have not reappeared so far. Android Auto connectivity also seems better now.
One bug that I've seen a few times and it's that sometimes after starting the car it will normally default to USB media but the last XM channel info is shown instead. Not a killer bug by any means.

One thing that is very apparent is the change in sound signature. This is possibly due to a change in the equalization curve that this and many stock HU's use to "compensate" for cheap "stock" speakers.The sound is now more flat and bass drop off when the volume is over 22 or so seems reduced , a good thing actually since I'me not using stock speakers. The sounds seems cleaner as well. Like it's been said here a few times, I wish they would supply proper update descriptions.
Yep, 1.19.22.70 is a much better version than 1.18.38.50 and I don't think you'll gain much with the very latest, if and when it's available to everyone...
I just added the prior versions from this thread to the first post in another thread I started a while ago (now that it's possible to edit first posts, again): Model Year 2018 and Newer - MY18+ Infotainment System FAQs and Tips, and Firmware Updates

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
1,919 Posts
Yup, that's what consultants say they can do for you... But then they just go and fleece you...

"A consultant is someone who borrows your watch to tell you the time, and then keeps your watch." Very true words...

·
Registered
316 Posts
Just updated to the latest version myself for the first time. Took 3-4 hours to download onto the computer and flash drive then another 30-45 minutes to do the update.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Yay! So another confirmation that 19.42 is the latest firmware for the '19s...

·
Registered
144 Posts
What was the determination on updating non-navs? Can we update those ourselves too? (My daughter got a 2020 forester a couple weeks ago)
Has the Subaru tech who's commented on here found a solution on this yet? Ours is the 2019 non-nav unit, we've got the emails, it regularly pops the dash that it needs updated yet nothing works from home or wi-fi. It's getting worse to the point of being annoying popping while driving and it's to the point now that her phone won't play music when plugged in anymore without messing with it a few times. I've logged into Subaru for our account where we get the monthly updates, searched all over there and cannot find anything regarding updates there. Not sure what I'm looking for but I don't have time for games. Was thinking there'd be a download or something to do with thumb drive but not seeing that either as it appears wi-fi won't do it. I guess if we're at the point it has to go to the dealer then I have to schedule time to waste a day to get it in as it's getting frustrating for her. Is that where it's at now? Any hope for non-nav with wifi soon?

Thanks,

Best of luck,

Mike

·
Registered
6,909 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Way to go AstroKats ! I updated so all my software is up to snuff and all of a sudden , wind advisory, one after another almost every 5 minutes. Hit the “settings” and the only one left checked is “End of the World.” Ya have to love updates.......

·
Registered
186 Posts
Forgot to mention... Anyone doing the USB update.... it takes time to download, load the usb stick and almost an hour to load it in the car. Take your time, be careful. Once it’s loading in the car don’t get hasty and pull the stick. It may just sit there and do nothing for 5 minutes but it will continue. Out of 9 files, the last two were the longest.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Interesting that it took so long. It only took me 20mins or so. The speed of the USB drive may be a factor.

521 - 540 of 571 Posts