Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey y’all new here and hoping for some help. New 2013 crosstrek to me,111k I’ve but 5k on it, just got new tires, hankook dynaoro at2. First time driving in snow and something bizarre happened once the roads become completely snowpacked and all 4 tires are in snow the car starts to kinda lurch back and forth, almost like it’s going to go into a fishtail but just very subtly. As soon as it’s back to pavement it stops but every bit where it’s snowpacked it doesn’t ride smooth and something feels off…can be a straight, flat section of road and as soon as it goes to snow I start to feel it…any ideas?!

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure what you mean when you say "lurch back and forth." Is the car stalling and then going forward? Or is the motion side to side?
It is almost as if the wheels aren’t spinning the same speed?…there is no change in mph but it feels like I am constantly on the verge of a fishtail, pulls for a slight second one way then the other, nothing major and my car never actually looses control but I can feel it a little one way then the other…this happens when the road is straight and I do not turn the wheel At all… as soon as it hits the snow It’s no longer a smooth straight ride, like all 4 tires are trying to maintain traction and keep up with each other … also I’m not taking a ton of snow, just when it turns to a snow packed road and all 4 tires are no longer on pavement…

I’ve been driving Subarus in snow my whole life with all sorts of tires over the years, good snow tires, bad all season tires, the works and this feels unlike anything I’ve felt before….

· Butchin' Moderator
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,753 Posts
I am not well informed on this issue and others here might have much more sound advice and knowledge. My first thought would be something going on with traction control. You actually have more experience with Subarus than I (my '18 is my first) but it definitely was uneven when going up very low traction hills and Xmode is a big help.

· Registered
949 Posts
Things I'd check:
1) check & change the diff oils(especially if it's not been done in the last 30k) as the car is new to you with 111k
2) check the DTC's in the ECU (IE look for DTC's for the sensors)
If the drive train mounts(motor and trans) have never been done, you might consider them. When bad, it feels like the car is all over the place as drive train is slopping around in the chassis. Good luck with the car.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh boy it does sound like it’s this ghost walking problem in the snow…unfortunately it doesn’t seem like there is one thing that will fox it…guess I start with an alignment even tho she tracks very straight on the highway?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok so turns out I'm not crazy!! after a little digging it turns out that many had this issue with the earlier crosstreks...

looks like an alignment solved the issue some of the times but others continued to have problems....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts