Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, we just got a 14' crosstrek (put a 2" lift and 215/75-15 ko2's on it before i drove it) found this forum looking for a solution for mounting a full size spare (still open to any and all suggestions there) and this site seems like a cool resource.

we got this car as a 3rd vehicle, my wife drives our 21' tundra, i drive a colroado ZR2, and we do a ton of driving.... i currently have a 585 mile one way commute to work every week, we live on the south coast but have a home on the central coast and my wife still has her business there, so between bouncing back and forth between the 2 houses and my work, we decided to get something a little more economical for long drives, and i told my wife if she wants me to ever drive a car, it needs to be woods capable, because i spend a lot of time in the mountains.... the most obvious option was subaru, and i was kind of torn between an outback and crosstrek (either was going to be lifted with ko2's) the crosstrek seemed like the better bang for our buck, and somewhat to my surprise, i like the car so far.... still concerned driving a vehicle with c rated tires, but being as light as the car is, and the tires being relatively narrow, i'm hoping to build confidence in that rig off road....

if this all goes well, i'm guessing in a couple years we will start fresh with a new one, and probably do a similar lift/tires, but add a rear locker..... worst case, after a couple years, it should be basically free to own, it will legitimately save us 5-700 bucks a month in fuel at current fuel prices, so i'm hoping i continue to like this car

Mike

·
Registered
2020 Pearl White Crosstrek Sport with Eyesight, CVT
323 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Nice thing about a Crosstrek, to everyone who doesn't have one, no one knows whether its a 2014 model or a 2022. Enjoy the ride

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium 6MT
332 Posts
Greetings from SoCal!

I carry a full size spare in the back. Since I went up a size (235/75r15), it will not even start to fit in the hole. I threw a cover over the tire and just have it sitting in the back.
Car Motor vehicle Hood Light Automotive tire

I have a Prinsu rack so I can throw the tire on top if need the space inside.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

This clobbered my gas mileage and power so I keep the rack empty normally.

If I recall, there was and owner that put the full size spare in the hole and built a new shelf on top. I didn't find it in my initial search: -> LINKY

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Greetings from SoCal!

I carry a full size spare in the back. Since I went up a size (235/75r15), it will not even start to fit in the hole. I threw a cover over the tire and just have it sitting in the back.
View attachment 311569

I have a Prinsu rack so I can throw the tire on top if need the space inside.
View attachment 311570

This clobbered my gas mileage and power so I keep the rack empty normally.

If I recall, there was and owner that put the full size spare in the hole and built a new shelf on top. I didn't find it in my initial search: -> LINKY
that's may favorite option so far... keep it in the back unless cargo space is needed, then throw it in the rack for that time period.... i like it! i may have some other questions for you down the road (no pun intended;)) but if we do start with a new one from scratch in the near future, you have done a lot of mods that i will want to.... did you ever do a build thread on this car?

it looks like you have really improved your approach angle with the front bumper you have, though it's hard to tell exactly, and i like the rear bumper setup too.... your car is pretty much my vision for our next one, yours looks very capable for about any practical off road driving, which is all i ask of a vehicle.... i don't purposely beat up my rigs, but i'm in the mountains a lot, that is and always has been where i like to be any time i have, and i am not willing to drive a rig with practical limitations in the woods.

like i said, i may bug you in the future with questions, i would be pretty happy with the exact same build, looks like a car i could be happy with and not hinder me.... we have a tundra, so any substantial towing can be done with it, i have my little jet sled that is probably 800# on the trailer, and we have a little 5X8' cargo trailer that the subaru could handle no problem

what kind of fuel mileage do you get as it sits?

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium 6MT
332 Posts
that's may favorite option so far... keep it in the back unless cargo space is needed, then throw it in the rack for that time period.... i like it! i may have some other questions for you down the road (no pun intended;)) but if we do start with a new one from scratch in the near future, you have done a lot of mods that i will want to.... did you ever do a build thread on this car?

it looks like you have really improved your approach angle with the front bumper you have, though it's hard to tell exactly, and i like the rear bumper setup too.... your car is pretty much my vision for our next one, yours looks very capable for about any practical off road driving, which is all i ask of a vehicle.... i don't purposely beat up my rigs, but i'm in the mountains a lot, that is and always has been where i like to be any time i have, and i am not willing to drive a rig with practical limitations in the woods.

like i said, i may bug you in the future with questions, i would be pretty happy with the exact same build, looks like a car i could be happy with and not hinder me.... we have a tundra, so any substantial towing can be done with it, i have my little jet sled that is probably 800# on the trailer, and we have a little 5X8' cargo trailer that the subaru could handle no problem

what kind of fuel mileage do you get as it sits?
Thanks! I used to do a lot technical trails. I am doing my break-in trip in August when I go to Bishop, CA to wheel in the Eastern Sierra.

My gas mileage definitely took a hit but it is still decent. Withe over-sized tires and lift, I still get about 26MPG highway and 21 MPG city. The tire on top caused another 2MPG drop on both and forced me to keep my speed under 70MPH.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts