Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Premium 6MT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

This is my first discussion so hopefully I can get some insight. To start off, I live in the Bay Area of California and drive a 2019 Crosstrek Premium 6MT. After fire season, rain season will start towards the end of the year and I want to be ready. I need to get new tires before it starts to rain. I currently have WestLake SU318 H/T on my car that came on them when I bought the car used. They are horrible in the rain, they still have life to give, but I have 0 to no traction in the rain and have no confidence in them when cornering.

I cannot decide on a tire at all, I keep reading reviews and I keep getting swayed left and right. I drive on the freeway/highways a lot because of my work commute, I don’t go off roading heavily, but do have some some days where I will take it on easy off roads.

What tires do you guys have as far as all seasons go, and what is your feedback about them? Hopefully this helps me decide on a tire!

·
Super Moderator
2020 Crosstrek Premium
1,347 Posts
This thread has some good discussion of non AT options: Applies to All Model Years - New Al-Weather Tire...

I love my Falken Wildpeak AT Trail tires. They come in stock size and are not any louder than stock.

Honestly any decent name brand all season tire is going to be way better. Check out Yokohama, Michelin, and Continental on Discount Tire's website.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Premium 6MT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This thread has some good discussion of non AT options: Applies to All Model Years - New Al-Weather Tire...

I love my Falken Wildpeak AT Trail tires. They come in stock size and are not any louder than stock.

Honestly any decent name brand all season tire is going to be way better. Check out Yokohama, Michelin, and Continental on Discount Tire's website.
I was leaning towards the Continentals but I had 3 options and they all looked good lol. I agree though, any tire will probably be better than what I have now.

·
Registered
250 Posts
All season is a misnomer. Very few are any good in anything but dry weather.
If you drive in rain, and like some light off road, get a decent tire. The Falken Wildpeak AT Trail has been suggested and is an excellent tire in all conditions. Also, Toyo makes the Open Country ATIII in stock 225/60r17, also an excellent tire in all conditions.
The former tire was/will be on my wife's Crosstrek, and the latter is on my JK, albeit in a larger size.
I live in NH and drive my Toyo's 30k a year in all weather conditions. They are excellent and wear very well and evenly.
I don't have nearly the mileage information on the Wildpeak's as my wife drives barely 6k a year. But I know they also perform excellent in all conditions.
Both of these tires are 3PMSF rated, which is a severe snow service rating. They are nearly as good in snow as a full snow tire, but are usable all year 'round as an all season.
Buy what makes sense to you, but do it for the right reasons. Cheap tires can cost you much more in the long run.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
396 Posts
We've got General Altimax RT43 a/s tires on the families MY18 and love them. They were a vast improvement over the original Yoko A/T tires(whew, horrid). On the BMW 330xi, I run Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Fantastic tire, but I would say more a 2 season than an "all-season tire(IE more on the sport end of things). We have an extra set of winter wheels/tires for the car, so it's not an issue. We run Continental DWS A/S tires on the Boxster(also have an extra set of winter snows/wheels) and like them. They are a better year round a/s tire. Their only drawback for me is they flat spot quite easily if sitting for 2-3 weeks. We are in the PNW, so winter weather can get challenging.
regards

·
Registered
1 Posts

We've got General Altimax RT43 a/s tires on the families MY18 and love them. They were a vast improvement over the original Yoko A/T tires(whew, horrid). On the BMW 330xi, I run Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Fantastic tire, but I would say more a 2 season than an "all-season tire(IE more on the sport end of things). We have an extra set of winter wheels/tires for the car, so it's not an issue. We run Continental DWS A/S tires on the Boxster(also have an extra set of winter snows/wheels) and like them. They are a better year round a/s tire. Their only drawback for me is they flat spot quite easily if sitting for 2-3 weeks. We are in the PNW, so winter weather can get challenging.
regards
The Falken Wildpeaks are great on my 2019.

·
Super-Duper Moderator
1,056 Posts
If willing to go to 225/65/17...

I really recommend the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Great highway tire, and 'good enough' off road traction for fire roads and the like.

The Defender T&H in 225/60/17, like you are looking for is a pure highway tire, not so much for dirt, imo.

I know a lot of Subaru owners who've been very content with the General Altimax RT43

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
1,967 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts