Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Not a Canadian
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone compared the "feel" of the new 182hp engine to the other choices? Sometimes the numbers are deceiving and don't pan out as we might expect. For example, when we were test driving Outbacks, I couldn't tell a whole lot of difference between the performances of the 4 and 6 cyl engines.

·
Registered
21 Sport
2,157 Posts
Has anyone compared the "feel" of the new 182hp engine to the other choices? Sometimes the numbers are deceiving and don't pan out as we might expect. For example, when we were test driving Outbacks, I couldn't tell a whole lot of difference between the performances of the 4 and 6 cyl engines.
i've owned 2.0L and 2.5L crosstreks. the 20% increase in hp is a huge upgrade imo. the difference is most dramatic when accelerating and when driving at elevation

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have the 2.5 and my wife used to have the 2.0 (she now has a Forrester).
It is a big difference and I've driven both extensively.

When my wife's kids drove her car, they thought it was dangerous the lack of accelleration on the highway.

I never drove her 2.0 in elevation - did not want to.

·
Registered
763 Posts
The inclusion of SPORT mode also makes a difference in performance.

Reactions: sas-XV

·
Registered
2021 Ice Silver Crosstrek Sport
32 Posts
I have driven both. The 2.0L is adequate and I never thought it was under powered. Managing the available power is the key. I am not a "lead foot" or perform jack rabbit starts, but I do appreciate the additional power/torque of the 2.5L when I need it.

·
Premium Member
'21 'Trek Sport
40 Posts
I never drove the older models. But... I heard enough groaning about 'underpowered' that I waited for the '21 Sport model. And bought it. As a former WRX owner (twice), this Sport is no WRX, but plenty of horsepower for a daily driver.

·
Premium Member
'21 'Trek Sport
40 Posts
@sheldon: "The inclusion of SPORT mode also makes a difference in performance."

With nearly 10K miles on my Sport, I've tried that mode many times. Best I can describe it: Feels like something is shoving fuel into the system... kinda like it's revved up, ready for you to accelerate. It's an odd sensation to me. Is it useful? Meh.

I can't say it makes a critical difference, to the point where I don't use it much. If I need to speed up, I press my foot down on the pedal—CRAZY, RIGHT?
:banana:

·
Registered
21 Sport
2,157 Posts
I never thought that my 2.0 was underpowered. You just use more of the gas pedal
i would frequently run out of gas pedal -- above 10k' feet the 2.0L is a slug. off road at elevation i've done the same hills with both engines. dramatic difference. on one hill approaching 12k' my passenger had to get out of my 2016 premium (2.0L) near the top and i still barely made it

·
Registered
21 Sport
2,157 Posts
@sheldon: "The inclusion of SPORT mode also makes a difference in performance."

With nearly 10K miles on my Sport, I've tried that mode many times. Best I can describe it: Feels like something is shoving fuel into the system... kinda like it's revved up, ready for you to accelerate. It's an odd sensation to me. Is it useful? Meh.

I can't say it makes a critical difference, to the point where I don't use it much. If I need to speed up, I press my foot down on the pedal—CRAZY, RIGHT?
:banana:
i've tried it a few times but didn't notice much difference but i have a lead foot.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Sport
62 Posts
Had a 2018 Premium with the 2 liter.
Now a 2021 Sport with the 2.5.
Big difference for the better. But really never found the '18 to be that bad.
I drive in Sport mode because I like the response and shifting. My wife drives in the normal mode because she doesn't care.
For fun, a couple times a week I do the manual shift buttons. great fun.

Reactions: Montanan

·
Registered
2021 Magnetite Grey Crosstrek Sport
52 Posts
I think most modern cars are both overweight and overpowered, so take my opinion with a pound of salt. I have only driven the 2.5, and in doing so I wouldn't want any less power. I think it's a fine engine, and has even surprised me once it was broken in. If my 21 Sport had 200 HP even, and comparable bump in torque, it would be absolutely perfect!

·
Registered
2022 Sport
38 Posts
I traded in a WRX for my Sport and will say I am happy with the power of the 2.5. Is it a WRX, no, but its more than adequate, I am very happy with it. It is also the first ever automatic/CVT that I've owned, have driven a manual for 35 years, and I am totally happy with that too.

·
Registered
2022 Crosstrek Premium CVT
56 Posts
I have a 22' 2.0 and recently had a 21' loaner sport with the 2.5 and it honestly didn't feel that much different. Didn't climb a mountain with it tho.

·
Registered
2022 Crosstrek Limited
14 Posts
As cars are tweaked they usually become my powerful. I would think the current 2.5l with Direct Port injection would develop more than 182 hp.
Have not tried Sport mode in the ‘22 Limited. With only 3k miles have not pushed it hard yet.
But wife likes it so much she took it away from me. For now.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts