Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

Need your opinion to help me decide: Do i need a spare tire with BF Goodrich KO2 tires ?

Applies to All Model Years 
5K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  erader 
#1 ·
We plan to use our Crosstrek for camping/going in the backcountry.

I have considered getting a tire carrier (wilco offroad hitchgate) to have a full size tire just incase..but with a tire carrier there are a few 'changes' which will need to be considered to determine if it is really necessary:

1) relocation of license plate
2) rear dash cam
3) backup camera

I think 1 and 2 can most likely be addressed based on the limited googling i have done but using the stock backup camera with the tire carrier maybe a challenge.

I like the idea of having a tire carrier as it seems to be the safest option but wanted to get other opinions if a spare tire is really needed if you have BF Goodrich KO2 tires?

#4 ·
Wow, would not have expected that with a K02!! I wonder if maybe the pressure was low and it overheated and blew. Or maybe just a defect. That is certainly not common, that's for sure.

K02s are very tough off road. But maybe because of the aggressive tread, might not be the best for high speed driving.

#7 ·
I also plan on getting one, but from my understanding, you can expect a pretty large hit on MPG's with it. Since my daily drive just got extended an extra 15 miles and up the rest of the mountain that was behind my previous rental (yes, I am finally a homeowner!!!) I am really on the fence about it. From one end of the valley to another, it's a pretty flat drive and I can average 30+ mpg's. The way home is NOT flat at all, always traveling upwind or crosswind on the way home, and up windy hillish/mountain roads. The average MPG on that drive? 26 if I am pissing everyone behind me off ;) - which I usually am and most decent drivers are the same way... Anyways, if my average was 26, it just dropped to 23 or 24 with the rest of this mountain I have to climb. I suspect with a full size spare and mount on the back, it would be worse, much worse. So, just another thing you should think about before pulling that trigger for a full time mounted spare.

Also that video alone was part of the reason I did not chose the BF2's. Could just be a one of a kind mistake, but I never liked them much anyways so that was icing on the cake for me.

If you have a rear facing dashcam, it will certainly be affected. Half or more of the view will be cut off. I also enjoy using the backup cam, it's certainly not worthless. You could reroute both of these things with quite a bit of effort though. Rear dashcam is most likely not built to placed outside, so probably cant reroute that one much aside from placing it to either side of the rear window and that means a limited view as well.

Really just boils down to personal preference. I don't like not having a spare full size, so I will probably make those sacrifices. But the backup cam will be missed until I figure out a rewiring and rerouting plan. To anyone with a rear facing dashcam and a full size spare mounted on the rear, I'd love to see some video.

#11 ·
I did my lift and wheel/tire swap on my 2018 Crosstrek with about 350 miles on the car. So my KO2s have over 46,000 miles on them with ZERO issues. I have a full sized matching 5th and use a tire carrier. Ive been going back and forth with another member about a possible back up cam solution - ive just been SUPER busy with work and home life.

#14 ·
I think having a full-sized spare regardless of the reputation of your tire is a good option (and peace of mind)! I have a Rigid Armor swing-out and even tho I do minimal off-roading (day treks here and there), having that backup really puts me at ease. I know Rigid Armor sells a license plate relocator, but you could also find one that attaches to your rear tow hook area - I think Grimmspeed has one.

#18 ·
I have towing, but I live a little far from everything.

Those slime, or fix a flat, tire kits will ruin your tire and your TPMS if left in too long. They can also freeze in the can in colder climates, and they wont work for anything but a slow leak. It's a great way to ruin your tire and possibly more. They are meant as a last, very last, very final resort - but mainly marketed towards people that have no idea the damage they can do or how useless they really are. They can also throw your wheel out of balance.

I carry a plug kit (that I actually know how to use and made myself - surprising how many people get the cheap kits and wonder why they fail or are too hard to plug), but I would rather walk than use that tire slime. Even for a days walk. I carry plenty of stuff to keep me warm, fed, and well lit in case I need to. I highly suggest you watch a couple YouTube videos on plugging a tire because it's really not hard at all and is a much better option. I never carried a portable inflator before I had the CT, but I am so glad I finally got one. Now I always air down even on simple backroads that are regularly traveled. Just to be safe. Takes 3 minutes. Why not?

Also, if you have an old fix-a-flat can laying around and it's not HFC-134a, throw it away. The old versions used dimethyl ether and that stuff is flammable. Tires would explode. Not sure why anyone would still have those old cans, but anything is possible.

#21 ·
For those of you, who have a spare tire carrier; what jack are you using with it or what would be your recommendation considering that you may have to change the tire on the trail ?

#22 ·
Also, what bike carrier would work with a tire carrier ? So far I am considering the Wilco Offroad Hitchgate solo. They have the relocation kit for the license plate.

#24 ·
if a spare tire is really needed if you have BF Goodrich KO2 tires?
I managed to get a puncture in my wheel on the freeway. Yes, Wheel. A truck with long lug nuts merged into me at 5 mph and tore through the factory wheel and tire. Having a spare really helped there. The factory donut is a bit smaller than the stock wheel, so you can limp a few miles home, but with care. The KO2s are a bit bigger, so the donut really isn't a good match.

Without the roof or rear spare tie rack you loose about 1/3 your volume in the trunk below the pull out screen to the full spare. The KO2 is just a little too tall to get in vertically, so you have to lie it flat. If it's just the two of you camping, unless you are sleeping in the car, you still have plenty of load space for camp gear with the seats folded flat.

I love the idea of the Wilco hitchgate, or the Flat4x4 bumper with swing away spare, but right now they are cost prohibitive. Having driven panel vans I know you don't need to see through the back window, but it sure does make life easier.

#26 ·
Within 150 km no spare just 2 cans of goo, tire plug kit that I know how to use, and small plug-in pump. On longer trips I put the spare up in the basket. If I cut the sidewall or shred a tire without a spare the plan is BCAA or equivalent. Getting my new Wildpeaks next week so they should hopefully be a bit hardier on sharp gravel roads to the local fishing lakes. I also buy the occasional lottery ticket.

#27 ·
I just had a buddy put a gash in his KO2 LT tires on his Outback after sliding into a sharp rock while wheeling. He didn't have a spare KO2 but he did have an OEM wheel and tire with him. He drove it home and he explained it as one of the worst experiences ever. The OEM tire was smaller so the wheels were all fighting, trying to find a speed that would work for all wheels, VDC was trying to take over, traction control lights were flashing, the CVT was cutting power... A bad time all around. Needless to say, he went straight to the tire shop to get 2 KO2s. And if you do have a matching full size spare be sure to rotate it in so that they wear evenly and maintain a similar size. Subaru specifies acceptable difference as "Within 1/4-inch of tire circumference or about 2/32-inch of each other in remaining tread depth"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.