Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
For those of you, who have a spare tire carrier; what jack are you using with it or what would be your recommendation considering that you may have to change the tire on the trail ?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Also, what bike carrier would work with a tire carrier ? So far I am considering the Wilco Offroad Hitchgate solo. They have the relocation kit for the license plate.

·
Registered
332 Posts
if a spare tire is really needed if you have BF Goodrich KO2 tires?
I managed to get a puncture in my wheel on the freeway. Yes, Wheel. A truck with long lug nuts merged into me at 5 mph and tore through the factory wheel and tire. Having a spare really helped there. The factory donut is a bit smaller than the stock wheel, so you can limp a few miles home, but with care. The KO2s are a bit bigger, so the donut really isn't a good match.

Without the roof or rear spare tie rack you loose about 1/3 your volume in the trunk below the pull out screen to the full spare. The KO2 is just a little too tall to get in vertically, so you have to lie it flat. If it's just the two of you camping, unless you are sleeping in the car, you still have plenty of load space for camp gear with the seats folded flat.

I love the idea of the Wilco hitchgate, or the Flat4x4 bumper with swing away spare, but right now they are cost prohibitive. Having driven panel vans I know you don't need to see through the back window, but it sure does make life easier.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Wow, would not have expected that with a K02!! I wonder if maybe the pressure was low and it overheated and blew. Or maybe just a defect. That is certainly not common, that's for sure.

K02s are very tough off road. But maybe because of the aggressive tread, might not be the best for high speed driving.
That was my tire that blew. Most likely it had, or got something in it on the drive home from Illinois to AZ...over 1500 miles. The TPMS were not working at the time...2 had been replaced under warranty about 6 months previous and then the other 2 went bad prior to my flying out to drive home with my son. There was a recall on the ones I bought when I picked up my KO2's. it is possible we had a nail, screw, or whatever in there for some time and it finally gave up the ghost. There was no obvious suggestion of a low tire previous to it blowing however.

I had done over 3000 miles in a week previously and had done the same 1500 mile drive as well so I think the tires are fine on the highway. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the BFG's again. They had about 34,000 on them with no issues up to that point

As to the spare tire it would be a good idea to have a 'real' tire to throw on the car if you get a flat off road for sure...although the stock one would work in a pinch. The Wilco hitch is nice, but darn pricey...I used to throw one of my stock wheels/tires in the back of the car for off-roading or traveling. You could always use a roof rack or hitch basket to carry it as well if you don't want to put it in the back of the car.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Within 150 km no spare just 2 cans of goo, tire plug kit that I know how to use, and small plug-in pump. On longer trips I put the spare up in the basket. If I cut the sidewall or shred a tire without a spare the plan is BCAA or equivalent. Getting my new Wildpeaks next week so they should hopefully be a bit hardier on sharp gravel roads to the local fishing lakes. I also buy the occasional lottery ticket.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Base 6MT PYP
37 Posts
I just had a buddy put a gash in his KO2 LT tires on his Outback after sliding into a sharp rock while wheeling. He didn't have a spare KO2 but he did have an OEM wheel and tire with him. He drove it home and he explained it as one of the worst experiences ever. The OEM tire was smaller so the wheels were all fighting, trying to find a speed that would work for all wheels, VDC was trying to take over, traction control lights were flashing, the CVT was cutting power... A bad time all around. Needless to say, he went straight to the tire shop to get 2 KO2s. And if you do have a matching full size spare be sure to rotate it in so that they wear evenly and maintain a similar size. Subaru specifies acceptable difference as "Within 1/4-inch of tire circumference or about 2/32-inch of each other in remaining tread depth"

·
Registered
260 Posts
I just had a buddy put a gash in his KO2 LT tires on his Outback after sliding into a sharp rock while wheeling. He didn't have a spare KO2 but he did have an OEM wheel and tire with him. He drove it home and he explained it as one of the worst experiences ever. The OEM tire was smaller so the wheels were all fighting, trying to find a speed that would work for all wheels, VDC was trying to take over, traction control lights were flashing, the CVT was cutting power... A bad time all around. Needless to say, he went straight to the tire shop to get 2 KO2s. And if you do have a matching full size spare be sure to rotate it in so that they wear evenly and maintain a similar size. Subaru specifies acceptable difference as "Within 1/4-inch of tire circumference or about 2/32-inch of each other in remaining tread depth"
Did he try disabling traction control? Using manual shifting? Pretty sure it would still do very little if anything at all, but maybe it would make a difference? I dunno.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
obviously he was running oversized KO2s?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
That was my tire that blew. Most likely it had, or got something in it on the drive home from Illinois to AZ...over 1500 miles. The TPMS were not working at the time...2 had been replaced under warranty about 6 months previous and then the other 2 went bad prior to my flying out to drive home with my son. There was a recall on the ones I bought when I picked up my KO2's. it is possible we had a nail, screw, or whatever in there for some time and it finally gave up the ghost. There was no obvious suggestion of a low tire previous to it blowing however.

I had done over 3000 miles in a week previously and had done the same 1500 mile drive as well so I think the tires are fine on the highway. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the BFG's again. They had about 34,000 on them with no issues up to that point

As to the spare tire it would be a good idea to have a 'real' tire to throw on the car if you get a flat off road for sure...although the stock one would work in a pinch. The Wilco hitch is nice, but darn pricey...I used to throw one of my stock wheels/tires in the back of the car for off-roading or traveling. You could always use a roof rack or hitch basket to carry it as well if you don't want to put it in the back of the car.
hey Rick! you add all that stuff to a crosstrek and you wind up buying a jeep! hey I think any brand tire can fail catastrophically. the times I have gotten flats I had plenty of warning and I've never had a tire blow like that.

I ended up selling my 2016 after 110k miles and buying a 21 sport. love it!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts