Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Orange XV Crosstrek
10 Posts
When I chose to switch from Forester to XV in 2016, it took 3 months to find a used one with the price and package I wanted to pop up anywhere near. If you don't mind some imperfections, deal on fixing some in the close, you can get a good price.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello all, I am new to the Subaru brand, and I'm considering purchasing a Crosstrek that my teenage son can also drive...I had originally started looking at used ones, but apparently Subaru owners don't let them go, and the 2-3 year old Crosstrek's aren't that much less than a new one. So I'm now leaning toward purchasing a new one. I wanted to check if that was the general state of the Crosstrek market? I don't know that I would want to get one with too many miles if my kid is driving it, I'm already stressed out as it is that he's going to be driving at all. Thank you for your help and any insights you're willing to provide in regard to the different trims and other things I should consider. Thank you.
I own an 18 that is completely loaded with all the safety features that Subaru offers plus a few aftermarket features: Front Sensors and a 360 degree radar system from K-40. It is the limited model. I love this vehicle having moved from a Mercedes. It is literally the best vehicle I have ever owned. With a young driver behind the wheel buy every safety feature Subaru offers. If you can find one slightly used that would be ok. Otherwise spend the $ and be happy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all, I am new to the Subaru brand, and I'm considering purchasing a Crosstrek that my teenage son can also drive...I had originally started looking at used ones, but apparently Subaru owners don't let them go, and the 2-3 year old Crosstrek's aren't that much less than a new one. So I'm now leaning toward purchasing a new one. I wanted to check if that was the general state of the Crosstrek market? I don't know that I would want to get one with too many miles if my kid is driving it, I'm already stressed out as it is that he's going to be driving at all. Thank you for your help and any insights you're willing to provide in regard to the different trims and other things I should consider. Thank you.
I purchased a 2019 Limited model Subaru in June 2019 and I love it! It is not the the most powerful car on the market but it is solid, fun to drive, sporty and reliable. For about 30k I have all the bells and whistles except the upgraded indoor lighting. The dealer tried to sell me all these extra insurance plans but I would not recommend them. I think you will be very happy with a Subaru Crosstrek and your son will like it too. Good luck!

·
Registered
883 Posts
My 15 been a workhorse, no issues and fun to drive!!!Good luck!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Thank you to all of you! You are awesome.

Another question I have is in regard to the care being powerful enough for the hills of San Francisco...any of you deal with hills on a daily basis? I'm looking forward to going for a test drive this weekend!
The 2.0 engine will limit your son a bit. It’s adequate for a daily driver though. Also consider the apps available from Subaru. You can set warnings for speed or going out of a specific area and others. Great to keep an eye on your child’s driving. One thing I would consider is if your child is going to launch the car. A CVT doesn’t like to get punched as it can damage it.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,432 Posts
One thing I would consider is if your child is going to launch the car. A CVT doesn’t like to get punched as it can damage it.
Really? Never heard of that before. Why is it any different from a regular automatic in that regard?

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
Me neither. The CVT protects itself. I definitely wouldn't do a "neutral drop" though.
If the kid's into that, there's more to worry about than the CVT, LOL!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I will probably get howled down in regard to all the Eyesight add ons. For a beginner driver I would steer away from them (pun not intended but I will take it). These are a major distraction from actually driving the car and just one more thing for an inexperienced driver to be fiddling with. I would go the base model and focus on basic driving skills rather that fostering a dependence mentality from the get go and add distractions.

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
I will probably get howled down in regard to all the Eyesight add ons. For a beginner driver I would steer away from them (pun not intended but I will take it). These are a major distraction from actually driving the car and just one more thing for an inexperienced driver to be fiddling with. I would go the base model and focus on basic driving skills rather that fostering a dependence mentality from the get go and add distractions.
Good point! I learned to drive in a very basic car (not even electric windows) and learned to fly in a very basic plane (not much more than a compass). Besides the distractions of all the tech, I can see how one could become reliant on it from the get go, and not know how to deal with a situation where the tech doesn't work.

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
952 Posts
By that logic you should forego power steering and ABS when you are learning. These systems are the way the industry is going. Yes, you should learn to drive without the aids. But having blind spot detection, back-up camera, and emergency braking assist are all great safety nets.
Statistics show young drivers get in a lot of accidents. States have responded with graduated driver's licenses, which imho just kicks that can down the road until they're off at college. Let the car help them avoid that collision - they'll still get that "oh ****" moment but hopefully without the bang, increased insurance, and lawsuits.

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
By that logic you should forego power steering and ABS when you are learning. These systems are the way the industry is going. Yes, you should learn to drive without the aids. But having blind spot detection, back-up camera, and emergency braking assist are all great safety nets.
Statistics show young drivers get in a lot of accidents. States have responded with graduated driver's licenses, which imho just kicks that can down the road until they're off at college. Let the car help them avoid that collision - they'll still get that "oh ****" moment but hopefully without the bang, increased insurance, and lawsuits.
Power steering and ABS don't require any user interaction. A better example might be a reversing camera. Should the teen only learn how to reverse into a parking space with a cam? ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thank you to all of you! You are awesome.

Another question I have is in regard to the care being powerful enough for the hills of San Francisco...any of you deal with hills on a daily basis? I'm looking forward to going for a test drive this weekend!
I live in hilly Northeast LA. It's not quite SF, but we done got hills. My 2016 Manual 5-speed Crosstrek was definitely underpowered. 2nd gear was lame. I often had to downshift to 1st to keep up an even ascent, not wanting to exceed 25mph with my neighbors glaring. But my 2019 CVT has no problem, and most importantly my Mr. New License son has no problems.

Yes, and Apple CarPlay (and Android) are in the 2018 and newer.

BTW, in terms of used prices, I saw a used 2018 Crosstrek today at the Glendale dealership and it was north of $25K. (with EyeSight I believe)

BTW2, I bought a 70K mile extended warrantee because of all the electronics, and because the extended warrantee saved me about $3K in mechanical on my 2016. Anecdotal, not double-blind proof...

·
Registered
523 Posts
You are on the right track, but here's another way to learn: Enroll that youth in a teen driving clinic. Many auto clubs put them on. If you don't have one, send that youth to track school. I did a teen driving clinic on a public safety training center skid pad, and then enrolled her in an ice driving clinic on a frozen lake with rally race car driver instructors. Then, I bought her a car with eyesight until she went to University. At school she drives a '96 Legacy wagon painted in dirt. She hasn't crashed it, or the Crosstrek. I'm a big fan of Eyesight. It has saved us anxiety by being a sometimes annoying second opinion. It is not fail safe, but it is worth it to me to potentially save property and money by possibly not letting crashes happen.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Really? Never heard of that before. Why is it any different from a regular automatic in that regard?
In as much as there is a torque converter, cvt’s don’t like that sudden punch, especially when new. You can damage the belt. You can dump a decent amount of power to the cvt unit if you wind it up and pop the brake. Two things kill a cvt fast, horsepower and heat.

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
In as much as there is a torque converter, cvt’s don’t like that sudden punch, especially when new. You can damage the belt. You can dump a decent amount of power to the cvt unit if you wind it up and pop the brake. Two things kill a cvt fast, horsepower and heat.
I wouldn't expect if to be any different from a regular automatic which also has a torque converter. And Subaru's CVT has a chain, not a belt.

In any case, it wouldn't be a reason for the OP not choose a Crosstrek for his son.

·
Registered
8,432 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
For everybody out there... MRT Performance is a wealth of knowledge. Ive learned lots from these guys. Here’s a good one on cvt....

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the same experience when looking for used here in SoCal. Some used ones were selling for more than new. Made me feel more confident about them holding their value.

As to what to get your son however, I'd suggest what others have, and look at a used regular Impreza, or even the Legacy. I found a ton of those at worthy used prices, with little to no mileage. Whatever you get though, just know he will bang it up. It's just the nature of things.

My other (non-Subaru) advice would be to buy him a two seater, 4-banger, Toyota truck. It'll already look like hell, will run forever, he cant put tons of people in it, it's slower than a fat dog on Sunday, and if it survives him, you/he will still have something to haul junk around with when he goes to buy a "real" car.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts