Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am new to the Subaru brand, and I'm considering purchasing a Crosstrek that my teenage son can also drive...I had originally started looking at used ones, but apparently Subaru owners don't let them go, and the 2-3 year old Crosstrek's aren't that much less than a new one. So I'm now leaning toward purchasing a new one. I wanted to check if that was the general state of the Crosstrek market? I don't know that I would want to get one with too many miles if my kid is driving it, I'm already stressed out as it is that he's going to be driving at all. Thank you for your help and any insights you're willing to provide in regard to the different trims and other things I should consider. Thank you.

Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
Well, it seems they go forever... 馃樃

The latest big change was with the '18 on Subaru's new Global Platform and the changes since then have been minimal. The '19 added a slightly better infotainment system so maybe look for a used '19?

Registered
Crosstrecks are in demand..new and used. I would opt for new. We were very careful with teaching both our kids. That is really the key. Neither had an accident. But you have to really work on it.

No driving at night. We would allow one friend in the car after we were satisfied they were good drivers. We never let them be driven with a friend.

Registered
The Crosstrek is a very safe vehicle both proactively and reactively, especially with Eyesight. Proactively it will stop you from backing into your brother's vehicle when he parked it somewhere you didn't expect. Reactively the Eyesight system will stop the Crosstrek faster than you would ever be able to when someone comes out of a driveway suddenly and unseen, or a kid on a bicycle or someone wandering along looking down at their phone. Or variations on these scenarios. If the vehicle is in a collision the vehicle's structual design and various reactive cabin safety features are amazing at minimizing passenger injury. The Crosstrek gets the highest ratings from the US HTSA, Transport Canada, and whatever the European equivalent is called. Plus it's not very powerful nor speedy. Probably a very good choice for a teenage new driver.

Registered
Agreed. I bought a new 2016 Crosstrek because it was only a couple thousand more than a used one. Then this August I traded it in on on a new 2019 Crosstrek with EyeSight and all the safety bells and whistles because my 16 year old was getting his license. Yikes! Stay off the sidewalks! Anyway, I also figured this car may become his primary car by the college years and I wanted safety, but also an AWD, outdoorsy, winter-sportsy vehicle. He's only driven it a few times with me, and the fact that it's MY NEW CAR makes him nervous, so he'd prefer to drive my wife's beater 2009 Prius. But already the Pre-Collision Brake Assist kicked in on him in stop-and-go traffic. We WAS braking, and I don't think he would've tapped the Tesla in front of us, but it gave him a wakeup call. He hates the Lane Departure Prevention, but I insist he use it because it doesn't nudge back in the lane if you PROPERLY USE YOUR TURN SIGNAL. It has helped ME use my turn signal more. Good luck to you! Oh, and by the way, in California teen drivers cannot drive their friends around until they have been driving a full year. They can only transport themselves solo, or drive with licensed adult drivers in the car.

Registered
Yep, CA has a lot of restrictions for minors, no driving after 11pm, etc. Also, that the parents are financially responsible for the minor that they allow to drive. Proceed with caution... 馃樃

Registered
2016 Crosstrek
You'll definitely want whatever Eyesight options are available now, especially with a young driver. Check your private messages.

Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
I think Eyesight makes sense for a new teen driver as they might have some of the same challenges an older driver like me faces. It seems to me that Crosstrek also has really great visibility. Might be a bit of a handful in a small parking lot for a new driver but it does have an exceptionally clear backup camera as well. I get a lot of comments on the bright orange color as well, easily seen from a distance. Personally I think it would be a car that doesn't encourage street racing and in my life of driving Oakland's mean streets I've never seen a Subaru doing doughnuts at an Oakland sideshow, but I'm considering joining in at some point.

I was pleasantly surprised to see quite an insurance discount on my 2018 Crosstrek when I compared my bill to my wife's 2016 Hyundai Sonata bill. Both are exactly the same coverage. I'm paying about $50 less per month on my newer Crosstrek because State Farm feels that Crosstrek folks have cheaper accidents than Sonata folks (my agent gave me this answer after researching my concern about the difference in policy costs.) Can't say the discount makes sense, but still a nice advantage if it holds true for others.

Good luck. If your hair isn't gray yet you need to prepare to deal with that as well. Put small folded towel on front passenger's floor to force your foot against this imaginary brake pedal to prevent hurting your knee! Repeat: "Serenity Now, serenity now...."

Registered
I'm pretty sure our insurance went down when we replaced an old Lexus with a new Crosstrek. Surprised me at the time but, now, not so much.

Registered
'16 Subaru CrossTrek Limited w/Tech
You're absolutely correct and I experienced the same challenge when I bought my CrossTrek. Subie owners hold on to their Subaru's. There are two Subaru dealers in my city. The dealer I went to had all of 3 used CrossTreks to choose from. I've had mine for a year as of the end of the month. First CrossTrek, first Subaru, and I am not giving it up, I can tell you that much.

It has to be said, you're a parent so naturally your son driving make safety a major concern. A Subaru CrossTrek with EyeSight is your best friend in this case. And it is a system quickly coming standard on more and more trim levels.

If the price concerns you think of it this way: Any other brand will charge you 2 - 3 thousand more for AWD - or make you buy a trim level that cost at least that much more. Same story with the equivalent of EyeSight in other brands (limited number of those out there).

The cars are also "built like tanks". Watch some of the Crash Testing videos. The passenger cabin is clearly designed with keep you from any harm. Other cars....yeah it's scary to see how the passenger compartment is compromised and think of the injuries likely caused.

Registered
Have you considered an older Impreza or Legacy? If this vehicle is mostly for your teen to drive and gain experience in, perhaps a brand new Crosstrek isn't the only choice. You get the safety, and as you learned, the value of the Subaru brand, without the overall expense.

I don't envy you, getting a teen, on the road was a very stressful time for me.

Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
I passed down my old jeep (Asuna Sunrunner) when he turned 16 and got his license. 3 months later he had an accident, rear-ender on the Lions Gate Bridge of all places. He had friends in the car, and was fiddling with the stereo when it happened. No one was hurt and jeep was repairable. He learned his lesson, though, and has not had an accident since.

So in that case a Crosstrek with Eyesight would have prevented that accident, as would any newer car with FCA (Front Collision Avoidance). No question, driver assist features (blind side alert is important one for lane changes) will be a great safety aid for new drivers.

Registered
'16 Subaru CrossTrek Limited w/Tech
So, long as we learn from our mistakes! But yeah. Eyesight is a real comfort to have as a backup in case you the driver do not or cannot respond in time.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you to all of you! You are awesome.

Another question I have is in regard to the care being powerful enough for the hills of San Francisco...any of you deal with hills on a daily basis? I'm looking forward to going for a test drive this weekend!

Registered
2016 Crosstrek
It has no problem with hills, the CVT keeps it an whatever RPM is necessary - much better than a traditional automatic in this regard.
Do check your private messages.

Registered
As far as being underpowered, it depends on whom you talk to - I live at 800ft at the top of a 10% incline, and drive it all the time. It has good passing power up the hill so long as its not fully loaded. It certainly has no trouble going up the hill.

Its not my V6 Outback, however. So my wife will tell you its underpowered.

I've travelled a lot for business in the last few years and have driven nearly every equivalent model of car from all manufacturers - there isn't a car in that market I'd consider trading my Crosstrek for.

Registered
Hello all, I am new to the Subaru brand, and I'm considering purchasing a Crosstrek that my teenage son can also drive...I had originally started looking at used ones, but apparently Subaru owners don't let them go, and the 2-3 year old Crosstrek's aren't that much less than a new one. So I'm now leaning toward purchasing a new one. I wanted to check if that was the general state of the Crosstrek market? I don't know that I would want to get one with too many miles if my kid is driving it, I'm already stressed out as it is that he's going to be driving at all. Thank you for your help and any insights you're willing to provide in regard to the different trims and other things I should consider. Thank you.
I鈥檓 just here to say that the Crosstrek does not have CarPlay prior the 2018 model, and that in my opinion it鈥檚 an important safety factor. It is unrealistic to think that any of us are not going use our phones for directions or to answer a call while we鈥檙e driving. If only I had done better research I would鈥檝e bought the 2018 in July 2017. I kick myself everyday for not doing better research.

Registered
I found a 2014 XV in 2018 just by searching local used dealers that I thought would be great for my teenage son after I had it a few years.
Darn growth spurt and he is now 6 ft 4 and his knees are at 10 and 2 on the wheel. Guess I keep it for myself
Can鈥檛 beat the grip on mountain passes in Oregon. No salt here so suburu last 15-20 yrs without rust.
Some do get an algae patina if not washed.

Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
Thank you to all of you! You are awesome.

Another question I have is in regard to the care being powerful enough for the hills of San Francisco...any of you deal with hills on a daily basis? I'm looking forward to going for a test drive this weekend!
I live in Oakland on a hill. We also tow with our 2018 Crosstrek and every year we make a couple trips over Tioga Pass while towing. It isn't a fast car but it seems to handle hills well and the hill lock feature is quite useful when you get to the summit of a hill and find a stop sign. Never overheats on long hills, climbs Filbert St without protest, although you won't be doing any passing going up the hill.

Registered
2016 Crosstrek
As far as being underpowered, it depends on whom you talk to - I live at 800ft at the top of a 10% incline, and drive it all the time. It has good passing power up the hill so long as its not fully loaded. It certainly has no trouble going up the hill.

Its not my V6 Outback, however. So my wife will tell you its underpowered.

I've travelled a lot for business in the last few years and have driven nearly every equivalent model of car from all manufacturers - there isn't a car in that market I'd consider trading my Crosstrek for.
Sorry, but point of order.... flat 6. H6. Horizontally opposed 6. Definitively NOT a V6. The angle between cylinder banks is 180 degrees, no V.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts