Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all so long story short I am looking for someone who lives in the Kirkland, WA area to head over to the planted technologies shop so they can create a prototype seat bracket since the 13-17 xv is different than the 18+. So if you own a 18+ crosstrek and would like to help me out please message me here or via text 917 257 1409. They said it would only take about 2-4 hours and I am willing to compensate you for your time. thank you all for looking. ps this will be helping me put my recaro seat into the crosstrek and I do believe I would be the first so do it for the innovation hahah

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just a few thoughts here as what you're asking will be difficult for most and certainly take more than a few hours time not to mention cost you a whole lot more money than it should and be highly inconvenient. You're taking crossing model years from old style to new global platform. This will require 2 cars- yours and a donor 2018+ in which both would need torn apart to compare-then put all back together again when done for both cars. You'd be compensating for any damage done to the donor car also to have repaired properly back to suitable standards of the owner, again added time and money not needed. Most things don't work from '17 and older to 18+ due to changes on the global platform. Maybe nothing at all changed on the floor pan, nothing at all in the seats, spacing, etc. who knows. And, what about electric slides, heaters, lumbar support, tilt/fold, other creature comforts and adjustments, etc.

I am assuming you have Recaro seats with 2018+ bracketry already-if this is true, I'd suggest starting by pulling the passenger seat and seeing what it would take to make work. Seat brackets are typically mirrored from driver to passenger side for ease of assembly during manufacturing. You could still drive the car while taking your time getting pattern designed. Fabbing up seat sliders is pretty basic easy stuff. I've put many Twisted Stitch, PRP, Mastercraft, etc. seats in rigs but never a Recaro. I can't imagine it's any different. Most aftermarket suspension seat designs use same basic platform or build pattern. It's just a matter of getting height correct with mounting bracket and getting bracket to fit floor pan. Not all that hard really. If you have no tools or ability, then I'd find a fab shop and take your seat with your car in and say "please make it work". It will be FAR easier for a shop to take your seat and your car and make it work than it will be to make your seat work in both your car and a 2018+ model. It will be much faster for them and much cheaper for you by doing it this way- take it all in and say make it fit. Please. Yes, fab shops are much more willing to help friendly, nice, polite understanding customers as those who come in with demands. :)

Look for off-road shops, fab shops, roll cage builders, etc. This is easy and quick work for those guys. XO-Fab, Godspeed Fab, Those Guys Rods and Customs, Auburn Car- there are tons on your side of the hill. These types of shops use material like this all day every day and likely have pieces in scrap pile that would fit which in turn would help keep your bill lower by not having to source new material. Being able to make your seat fit in your car will be much faster and much less headache than having to fit to a second vehicle. That's added time for no additional pay other than longer labor rates and more headache for a labor bill they won't get paid for anyway- meaning they won't be able to charge $1000 for a $200 job so the second vehicle is a waste that they just have in the way of other paying work. They could get a real paying job in that will make money several fold over a seat slider job to fit between model years with 2 customers to worry about, one for the work and one to compare against that is added liability for no gain.

Good luck with your search, it should be easy to find a local shop to fit you in with your seat and your car and be done with it quick so you'll be enjoying it in no time rather than continuing to wait for what could be long time frame with no good results and higher costs. Really sucks having shiny new parts you can't wait to get installed and sitting there waiting unable to get it done... My last big build was a real heartbreak. Sometimes it's easier refocusing looking at it from a different fresh view and making it happen.

Best of luck,

Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a few thoughts here as what you're asking will be difficult for most and certainly take more than a few hours time not to mention cost you a whole lot more money than it should and be highly inconvenient. You're taking crossing model years from old style to new global platform. This will require 2 cars- yours and a donor 2018+ in which both would need torn apart to compare-then put all back together again when done for both cars. You'd be compensating for any damage done to the donor car also to have repaired properly back to suitable standards of the owner, again added time and money not needed. Most things don't work from '17 and older to 18+ due to changes on the global platform. Maybe nothing at all changed on the floor pan, nothing at all in the seats, spacing, etc. who knows. And, what about electric slides, heaters, lumbar support, tilt/fold, other creature comforts and adjustments, etc.

I am assuming you have Recaro seats with 2018+ bracketry already-if this is true, I'd suggest starting by pulling the passenger seat and seeing what it would take to make work. Seat brackets are typically mirrored from driver to passenger side for ease of assembly during manufacturing. You could still drive the car while taking your time getting pattern designed. Fabbing up seat sliders is pretty basic easy stuff. I've put many Twisted Stitch, PRP, Mastercraft, etc. seats in rigs but never a Recaro. I can't imagine it's any different. Most aftermarket suspension seat designs use same basic platform or build pattern. It's just a matter of getting height correct with mounting bracket and getting bracket to fit floor pan. Not all that hard really. If you have no tools or ability, then I'd find a fab shop and take your seat with your car in and say "please make it work". It will be FAR easier for a shop to take your seat and your car and make it work than it will be to make your seat work in both your car and a 2018+ model. It will be much faster for them and much cheaper for you by doing it this way- take it all in and say make it fit. Please. Yes, fab shops are much more willing to help friendly, nice, polite understanding customers as those who come in with demands. :)

Look for off-road shops, fab shops, roll cage builders, etc. This is easy and quick work for those guys. XO-Fab, Godspeed Fab, Those Guys Rods and Customs, Auburn Car- there are tons on your side of the hill. These types of shops use material like this all day every day and likely have pieces in scrap pile that would fit which in turn would help keep your bill lower by not having to source new material. Being able to make your seat fit in your car will be much faster and much less headache than having to fit to a second vehicle. That's added time for no additional pay other than longer labor rates and more headache for a labor bill they won't get paid for anyway- meaning they won't be able to charge $1000 for a $200 job so the second vehicle is a waste that they just have in the way of other paying work. They could get a real paying job in that will make money several fold over a seat slider job to fit between model years with 2 customers to worry about, one for the work and one to compare against that is added liability for no gain.

Good luck with your search, it should be easy to find a local shop to fit you in with your seat and your car and be done with it quick so you'll be enjoying it in no time rather than continuing to wait for what could be long time frame with no good results and higher costs. Really sucks having shiny new parts you can't wait to get installed and sitting there waiting unable to get it done... My last big build was a real heartbreak. Sometimes it's easier refocusing looking at it from a different fresh view and making it happen.

Best of luck,

Mike
I'm only asking that some1 could take 2 to 4 hour out of their day so that planted tech can make their prototype bracket. Literally its 4 bolts and 3 clips nothing more as I will only need a drivers side. They use the same platform for every seat bracket they just need to measure up the four bolts since it is not the same as the 2015+ sti and the 2013-2017 crosstrek.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts