Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have a recommendation for a cellphone holder? NOT a window mount--no matter how well you clean the window and the suction cup, they fall off at random and I need reliability. Bonus consideration is you actually drive for Lyft or Uber. There are a ton of mounts out there but the louvers on the vents are vertical and not the "standard" horizontal style

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,230 Posts
We don't use phone holders in the Crosstrek (one of the reasons we wanted AA/CarPlay) but I have struggled with this in other cars and yes, window mounts suck, or rather they don't, in hot dry places like here...

The best one I used lately was a CD mount. If you have a CD player that you don't use I'll see if I can find the Amazon link.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I only buy vehicle specific mounts from proclipusa.com -- see them here: 2019 Subaru XV / Crosstrek Dashboard Mounts | ProClip USA

I haven't bought one for the Crosstrek just because I do not have a real need beyond Carplay. For ridesharing, the center mount looks like a great option.

The other thing I will say is that I do not buy the device-specific mount for the bracket -- I use a Popsocket (hey, hey, I know) and the official Popsocket car mount (that uses strong 3m adhesive) -- much cheaper than buying the device-specific mount.

·
Registered
2018 CGK Limited CVT
27 Posts
We don't use phone holders in the Crosstrek (one of the reasons we wanted AA/CarPlay) but I have struggled with this in other cars and yes, window mounts suck, or rather they don't, in hot dry places like here...

The best one I used lately was a CD mount. If you have a CD player that you don't use I'll see if I can find the Amazon link.
This CD player mount has worked well from MY18 when I've needed it... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076B5L4H6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
2015 XV Premium, Desert Khaki
91 Posts

I love my Panavise mount, the one holding the phone. Requires removing the radio and HVAC controls to mount which was a pain for the first time but totally worth it imo

·
Registered
513 Posts
The iOttie window mount is one the most reliable in the market, as long as you keep windows slightly open when you park under hot sun..Of course when the windows open the other benefit is you will inhale less carcinogen gas

·
Registered
145 Posts

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,230 Posts
It's very likely that you posted it somewhere and that's why i got it!! :ROFLMAO:
LOL!

I like the technology transition and "recycling" aspect - a CD slot becomes a mount for a Smartphone... ?

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
134 Posts
Just curious, when a phone is mounted in the CD slot mount, does it block the vents or the middle infotainment screen at all?

Thanks,
saint ?

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,230 Posts
Just curious, when a phone is mounted in the CD slot mount, does it block the vents or the middle infotainment screen at all?

Thanks,
saint ?
Depends on the car...

Yes, it would block the main HU in the Crosstrek, but if you have AA/Carplay, then no need for a mount. Rideshare drivers have different requirements, though. Uber and Lyft should look into getting apps approved for AA/Carplay - I have had more than one scary ride where the driver was holding one or two phones...

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
134 Posts
Yes, I meant a Crosstrek. As for not needing a mount, I don't have my car yet but, from information I've gleaned on here, it sounds like a larger smartphone such as my iPhone XS Max won't fit well in the shelf area in front of the shifter especially when it's plugged in for Apple CarPlay functionality. Unfortunately, the 2020 Premium model I ordered no longer has the USB ports in the center console so I may need to mount my phone even when plugged in for Apple CarPlay just to keep it in place. Knowing this, I'm keeping on eye on this thread.

I've always used ProClips in my other vehicles but I'm not too keen on the choices they offer for the Crosstrek as I don't want to block any air vents. I live in Arizona and don't want the vents blocked, even partially - especially since I've read AZ owners commenting on the Crosstrek's weak AC system. I see they offer a console mount but it seems to be more of a universal one so I'm not sure how well it'll fit.

I appreciate the information, though. That's what's great about this forum - lots of knowledgeable and helpful people!

saint ?

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,230 Posts
I have an Arkon mount, attaches to the seat bolt. Keeps it at a good level. Can't put the seat all the way forward though which usually wouldn't be an issue for anyone.
I've tried similar ones before on long arms and don't like how the phone jiggles around while you're driving.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,230 Posts
If you don’t need to mount it and it won’t fit in the cubby, you could set it on the shelf. My sunglasses clip doesn’t move at all with the rubber mat up there.
And you'll get a better GPS signal for Google Maps, etc. But reflections on the windshield may interfere with Eyesight (ducking for cover... ? )

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
134 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts