Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nameless Delete vs. Nameless 5" vs. LP Adventure Delete... What should I get? HELP!

I've been trying to decide if I want to do a different exhaust set up on my new 2018 Crosstrek. I've watched a ton of sound videos, but it's still hard to gauge the sound off of a youtube video. The stock exhaust is just a little to quiet for me, but I'm worried that stepping up to a full delete will be too loud. A couple of questions for you guys...

1. Has Nameless fixed the bumper melt issues for the 2018 models?
2. What's the sound difference to you guys between the Nameless delete and the Nameless 5" muffler?
3. Does the LP Adventure limit clearance? I drive rough trails quite a bit and I wold really hate to scrape it all the time.
4. Any known melting issues with the LP Adventure?
5. Will my wife and neighbors kill me if I switch to one of these? :grin:

If it makes any difference, it's a 6MT not the CVT transmission.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I would never do a delete on A Crosstrek. Sounds terrible IMO particularly if you are worried about neighbors/wife hating it. Looks like Borla makes an axle back for the 2018. Part number 11944. I have a Borla on my 2014. Quality part (no bumper melting) sounds great without being annoying (even on my CVT).

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Looks like they kept it close to factory with just a little bit of tip showing. They did the same on the 2013-2017 version too. Not my video and it is a 2017 Impreza, but same exhaust and fitment...

https://youtu.be/q7AAkttv7j8

·
Banned
96 Posts
lp is a great piece of work loved looking at mine but floor vibrated at speed. sold it within 100 miles. i do miss it but not worth it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
You can test the muffler delete like I did by unbolting the axle back and spacing it apart with a handful of washers. It really didn't sound too terrible but had annoying drone around 2500rpm. Today I just welded in a 25" thrush glass pack (20" muffler with 2.5" pipe on either side).

It sounds much better and more tame now. Much more respectable and adult like, and it only cost me about $30! I welded it myself at work lol. I don't really like how it looks, but no one will really see it anyways.

I've been having issues uploading pictures lately, but I'll try to get one loaded, and maybe a sound clip if I can.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a nameless with 5 in resonator. The 2018 design is just like stock minus the big muffler. I wouldn't get the straight pipe version 5in is good enough. It will sound great on your manual. I have a cvt and took it off after a month. I drove the car for a few thousand miles and after my cvt learned my driving style i installed it again and love the sound. Especially at idle. Once a get a chance I'll be Installing a uel header so I can get the subie garble.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have a nameless with 5 in resonator. The 2018 design is just like stock minus the big muffler. I wouldn't get the straight pipe version 5in is good enough. It will sound great on your manual. I have a cvt and took it off after a month. I drove the car for a few thousand miles and after my cvt learned my driving style i installed it again and love the sound. Especially at idle. Once a get a chance I'll be Installing a uel header so I can get the subie garble.
They make an UEL header for the 18? I had a set on my 98 leggy GT and it sounded awesome with a muffler delete

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well, after a couple of days of poking through threads and listening to videos I've decided to order a Nameless 5" muffler. I was also thinking about the Borla, but apparently it doesn't sound as nice and deep in the 2018+ as it did before. I was also very tempted by the Lachute muffler delete since it's in Canadian $ from Quebec and clears the bumper so well, but I'm concerned about the volume, especially highway drone.

I already have a vintage convertible sports car with headers and no mid-resonator so I'm used to plenty loud (on long trips I've actually worn ear plugs!) and I'm not desperate to repeat that in my winter and family car. I'll post a vid once I get it installed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ended up installing the Nameless 5" this evening in an unheated garage (and with the door open since I can't fit the car in with the ski box on the roof anyway!) It was about -5°C when I started as the sun was just going down. It was probably -10°F (14°F) when I finished. That's a heater you see plugged into the mechanic's light. :)

The good folks at Nameless Perfomance threw in some extra swag and was kind enough to ship to the States even though my billing address is in Canada.

The install process was very straightforward but I'd definitely recommend ramps. A breaker bar was a must to break free the bolts, and that's even after I had used some LiquidWrench last night and let them soak -- albeit in much below freezing temps. I ended up torquing the nuts to 55 lb/ft after installing the gasket with the new pipe. I imagine I could have gone higher but I didn't want to twist or crack either flange.

By far the hardest part was trying to get off the original rubber bushings. It was some work to slide off the muffler, but much harder to get off the bushings themselves (there's a much bigger mushroom head on the welded hanger). Despite having bought the Nameless urethane bushings, I ended up giving up getting off the originals. I suppose I could have cut them but didn't want to do that. After the install I shook things around and it looked like the tip won't contact the plastic bumper cover but I'll keep an eye on it. An early test drive shows no issue.

Sound is a nice rumble but nothing crazy. Sounds good under load, too; heel and toe throttle blips are fun for rev-matching (I have a 6MT). Not as much of a burble on overruns as I would have thought and no pops, but that's okay. The one thing I have noticed is that when my idle goes low (really settled to about 750 or less rpm) I can hear an engine knock if I just blip the throttle without letting out the clutch so there's no load. To be fair, this sometimes happened before, too, but I think it's happening more. I have a K&N air filter installed, too, so the combination may affect overall flow. I wonder if the engine just needs to re-learn some settings.

I can feel a bit more vibration in the cabin at times but still haven't gone for a highway drive. I think a muffler delete would have been too much. No regrets so far. Will post again after a week or so of winter driving.

Cheers,
phaetn

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ended up installing the Nameless 5" this evening in an unheated garage (and with the door open since I can't fit the car in with the ski box on the roof anyway!) It was about -5°C when I started as the sun was just going down. It was probably -10°F (14°F) when I finished. That's a heater you see plugged into the mechanic's light. :)

The good folks at Nameless Perfomance threw in some extra swag and was kind enough to ship to the States even though my billing address is in Canada.

The install process was very straightforward but I'd definitely recommend ramps. A breaker bar was a must to break free the bolts, and that's even after I had used some LiquidWrench last night and let them soak -- albeit in much below freezing temps. I ended up torquing the nuts to 55 lb/ft after installing the gasket with the new pipe. I imagine I could have gone higher but I didn't want to twist or crack either flange.

By far the hardest part was trying to get off the original rubber bushings. It was some work to slide off the muffler, but much harder to get off the bushings themselves (there's a much bigger mushroom head on the welded hanger). Despite having bought the Nameless urethane bushings, I ended up giving up getting off the originals. I suppose I could have cut them but didn't want to do that. After the install I shook things around and it looked like the tip won't contact the plastic bumper cover but I'll keep an eye on it. An early test drive shows no issue.

Sound is a nice rumble but nothing crazy. Sounds good under load, too; heel and toe throttle blips are fun for rev-matching (I have a 6MT). Not as much of a burble on overruns as I would have thought and no pops, but that's okay. The one thing I have noticed is that when my idle goes low (really settled to about 750 or less rpm) I can hear an engine knock if I just blip the throttle without letting out the clutch so there's no load. To be fair, this sometimes happened before, too, but I think it's happening more. I have a K&N air filter installed, too, so the combination may affect overall flow. I wonder if the engine just needs to re-learn some settings.

I can feel a bit more vibration in the cabin at times but still haven't gone for a highway drive. I think a muffler delete would have been too much. No regrets so far. Will post again after a week or so of winter driving.

Cheers,
phaetn
I've had the Nameless 5" exhaust installed for over a year and can confirm no issues with the bumper. No need to worry about it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well after having it for a week I'm definitely very pleased and think it was money well spent. It's loud, but not outrageous. It's sweetest note is probably between 3-4k revs with 3/4 throttle.

It turns out the exhaust does burble nicely, especially on downshifts from third to second with a quick blip of the throttle beforehand. I can get some lovely pops, too, but really only when the engine is first started up and in first gear and then on the overrun by lifting off the gas and not clutching; I suspect it's running rich (an electronic choke) as the effect very quicly disappears as the engine warms.

I've noticed about 10% decrease in gas mileage. It's likely not anything to do with the less restricted/baffled air flow, but more that I'm keeping it at higher revs more often and blipping the throttle all the time to hear the sweet sounds. :) Also, as a happy side-note, the rev-hang doesn't bother me now nearly as much as it used to because it's less audibly noticeable.

Cheers,
phaetn

1 - 14 of 14 Posts