Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found this piece laying on the topside of the engine bay plastic splash shield of my MY18 Crosstrek. Can anyone identify it? I'm thinking it might be the plug that was taken out when the engine block heater was installed at purchase. The dealership "technician" could have dropped it and just didn't bother to retrieve it. If so its been sitting there for almost 2 years.

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Liimited, 2018 Outback Touring, 2005 WRX
48 Posts
I would think you're correct, but what makes me suspicious it may not be is the degree of corrosion on the inside of the plug. If this was removed at the time of purchase I'd expect it to be much brighter in color.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
7,340 Posts
I would think you're correct, but what makes me suspicious it may not be is the degree of corrosion on the inside of the plug. If this was removed at the time of purchase I'd expect it to be much brighter in color.
It's the same as the degree of dirt/corrosion on the outside of the plug. That tells me that Rod's theory is correct - it has been rattling around inside the engine bay for a couple of years. Dealers... sigh...

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
C'mon guys! Here we are on the brink of extinction due to this stupid beer virus and we worry about some random part that impacts NOTHING! We need to focus on what really matters and join the general panic and spin ourselves with the rest of the globe's population into a tizzy. Just sayin'....

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
C'mon guys! Here we are on the brink of extinction due to this stupid beer virus and we worry about some random part that impacts NOTHING! We need to focus on what really matters and join the general panic and spin ourselves into a tizzy. Just sayin'....
It's a distraction - one of the last, tiny bits of normalcy in our upside-down world.

Btw, I also got an email from TheKnack today. Please PM me with any messages for him (sorry @Rod H for the hijack).

@orndog, yes, I've seen some like that but, admittedly, haven't done anything like that with our Crosstrek. And why would it be there? I still think Rod's theory is correct.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like a diff/final drive plug to me.
Hmmm...now I'm wondering if it's related to the quite large O I L patch under my vehicle. If only there was some way to test for the viscosity of the O I L patch.
Anyone know anything about O I L viscosity?

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Hmmm...now I'm wondering if it's related to the quite large O I L patch under my vehicle. If only there was some way to test for the viscosity of the O I L patch.
Anyone know anything about O I L viscosity?
LOL, I think someone might...

@Okie Hick I've tried to PM you but the site says I'm not allowed to. Maybe you have conversations blocked, or just me! 😸

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,132 Posts
I thought maybe you were put in a time out for all the oil posts. 😂

1 - 17 of 17 Posts