Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

MY18+ Infotainment System FAQs and Tips, and Firmware Updates

Model Years 2018 to 2023 
163K views 934 replies 111 participants last post by  e2m 
#1 · (Edited)
We bought our first Subaru, an '18 Crosstrek Limited, in November 2017. One of the big factors, for us, was the new Infotainment System in the '18 (referred to as the "Head Unit", or just the "HU"). We wanted to be able to use Android Auto and Apple CarPlay - I now have a Google Pixel 4 XL and OAK ("Other AstroKat") has an iPhone 8 Plus. Here's what we've learned, with the help of many folks on this forum. I will endeavor to add/edit/update this initial post, so please reply with updates, suggestions, etc.

The new generation Crosstrek (beginning with Model Year 2018) has a new Infotainment System by Harman International Industries. It was first available on the '17 Impreza and is now standard for all Subarus on the new platform.

The first version of the infotainment system was Gen 3.0, in the '17 Impreza and '18 Crosstrek. The '19 models had a slightly upgraded version, Gen 3.1 but not much changed. However, they require different firmware and it's released at different times. Some early '19 cars may have the Gen 3.0.

Here's the support number for United Radio (they handle Subaru's Harman HUs): 315-445-7799.Thanks @aukii75

FIRMWARE

The firmware is the computer software installed in the HU and many commonly-reported problems can be fixed by updating it to the latest version. Here's how to check your firmware version (also see Page 62 of the StarLink manual):

1. Press the Home button on the HU​
2. Select Settings then General​
3. Scroll down and select System Information​

PDF versions of the manuals are available from Subaru (so there's no excuse for not reading the manual, LOL): https://www.subaru.com/owners/vehicle-resources/manuals.html

Newer versions of the firmware have fixed or improved many of the problems being reported, such as the connection with a phone being lost. Although some trim levels can update the firmware via a Wi-Fi connection or using Aha on a paired phone (see Page 70 of the Starlink Manual), you may have to get it done at a dealer. If you have a car with nav you may be able to download the new firmware with a maps update to a USB drive. Go to: Subaru Map Update Delivery Portal

At the time of writing, it appears that only Crosstreks with an 8" screen HU (with or without nav) can do updates over Wi-Fi, AND that a recent version of the firmware installed by a dealer or a map update is required to do so. If you don't have Wi-Fi or nav, only the dealer can update the firmware. If the vehicle is still under factory warranty, the dealer may cover it if you cite the relevant TSB (see below). The full maps updates are only available from the maps website, although '19+ models can download local regions over Wi-Fi.

To download firmware via Wi-Fi, go to Settings, connect to your Wi-Fi, then Check for Updates. Here are detailed instructions for updating from Subaru (thanks @Marty1 for finding them):

Released by SOA Sept. 22, 2020

2018 Limited (has instructions for Wi-Fi or Nav):
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10180737-0001.pdf

2019 to 2021 with Nav:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10180739-0001.pdf

2019 to 2021 with 7" or 8" display:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10180738-0001.pdf

Following are the latest versions I'm aware of, from personal experience and other good folks posting here. As far as I know, nothing has changed with the '20+ or PHEV so the '19 info should apply.

FYI, the most important numbers are the middle two, and refer to the build year and build week. So, 19.45 means the 45th week of 2019 (i.e. the beginning of November, 2019).

There's also a LOT of info here, thanks again @Marty1:

LATEST FIRMWARE VERSIONS (reported by members here and from TSBs):

New in May 2021 (may just be a maps update): [Warning - there are issues with this release, see: Model Year 2018 and Newer - "Play Artist:&quot...]

Gen 3.0:Rel_A2.21.19.20 for the Gen 3.0
Maps version: USA Canada and Mexico_1066_7705_10767

Gen 3.1: Rel_UH.21.13.70 NAFTA

Gen 3.0 HU for most '18 cars with navigation:
Rel_A2.20.40.20
Build Date: October 2020
Publication date: November 18, 2020
Maps Version: USA Canada and Mexico_1056_7522_10469
TSB: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10185086-0001.pdf

Gen 3.0 HU for most '18 without with navigation:
Rel_A2.20.07.20 (Rel_A2.20.14.20 was installed by a member in Prague).
Build Dates: February 2020
Publication date: July 6, 2020
TSB: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10185086-0001.pdf

Gen 3.1 HU for most '19+ cars with or without navigation
Rel_UA.20.38.70 (20.41.70 appears to be a new maps update - prior maps update was 20.28.70)
Build date: September 2020
Publication date: December 30, 2020
Maps Version: North America_2017.03_7353_28/12569/75686/40863
TSB (map updates only): https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10183708-0001.pdf
TSB: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10185088-0001.pdf

In addition to the NHTSA site, a list of TSBs can be found here: Subaru Crosstrek technical service bulletins

FAQs

How do I stop the radio coming on every time I start the car?

This is one of the most frequently asked questions! A single press of the left "power" button will only mute/pause the radio or whatever audio is streaming. Next time you start the car, the radio will be back on again. This seems to be a "feature"!

The HU display and audio can be turned off by holding down the left button for a few seconds and, with the latest versions of the firmware it will stay off the next time you start the car. However, if you want to use the HU for anything else (e.g. navigation or making phone calls) it will come back on and the radio will start playing again. The best option, if you want the radio to stay off, is to turn the volume down to zero (just make sure you're not streaming something over your phone at the time, that's using up your mobile data - that happened to us).

How can I reboot the HU?

Hold down the power button for ten seconds or more until the Starlink logo flashes on the screen.

My phone won't connect to Android Auto or CarPlay, or keeps disconnecting, etc.

First of all, make sure you have the latest firmware. It's also important to use a good quality cable (and try different cables, as some work better than others). In rare cases it may be a problem with the USB port(s) in the Crosstrek. Some members here have reported that connection problems were resolved by the dealer replacing the USB port.

Make sure that none of the contacts are corroded and clean them with rubbing alcohol (if you can find any during the pandemic, LOL).

Use the shortest cable that works for where you want to place your phone. The maximum cable length for the USB 2.0 specification used in the Crosstrek is about 16ft, and several feet of cable are already used up connecting from the armrest cubby to the HU.

What settings on my phone should I use?

Some basic features, such as making and receiving phone calls, are available over Bluetooth with a paired phone. The phone integration features, address book, caller history, etc. will be handled by StarLink, not Android Auto or CarPlay. If you want to use Android Auto or CarPlay on the HU display, you must connecting the phone via USB.

If anyone has any comments on what works and doesn't work with certain phones, I'll add it here. We use the default settings in Android Auto and CarPlay and it works most of the time, launching when we plug in our phones. Here's another suggestion:

I think it matters a lot how you set up your phone. On mine, with the AA settings, I have Auto Launch set to Off on the phone. That way it doesn't launch until I hit the AA button on the HU. I also have the Use Bluetooth turned Off.

With these settings, my phone and AA have always worked perfectly. When I plug in the phone to USB and launch AA from the HU, it handles the phone calls, texts, etc. What I like, too, is that I can dictate full replies to my texts, unlike the native phone connection through BT where you have to select from the canned list.

See less See more
#3 ·
What's the exact issue? Yours won't stay at the level you set? When we first got the car, I went to turn down the radio just as it made a nav announcement and it ended up turning off the the nav volume. It took a while to figure out how to fix it - from the mixer you get to by holding down the right button. I haven't had to change it since (and the same nav volume control works for both the onboard nav and AA/CarPlay.

#9 ·
Same with my Android - the favorites and call history with StarLink just doesn't work. I may need to add something to the first post about what StarLink is (i.e. connecting to the HU via Bluetooth), and how it compares to using AA/Carplay via USB. I'm sure this confuses a lot of new users...

#11 ·
The latest version of the firmware for general release is the version that seems to be shipping with all of the new '19 vehicles (not just Crosstreks - I'm guessing the "U" means it's universal across the new platform). It's also available for the '18 Cosstrek as an update but, again, only at a dealership:

Version: U0.18.22.20

FYI, I just got a 2019 Crosstrek Premium which has the new "6.5 in. Plus" HU (with CD player, SiriusXM and Starlink cloud apps).
It shows firmware version: Rel4.18.11.50.

So far, I have not had the problem with radio on startup. The radio starts in the same state it was in when car was turned off and key removed.
Also, Android Auto has connected (and stayed connected) reliably.​

#12 ·
Interesting! If Sheldon is correct about the versioning, that would be an earlier version created in March 2018, although the 4 could mean it has more enhanced features. Anyone else with a '19 checked their firmware version?

#17 ·
I know it's not a complaint thread but...

18 Premium w/o navi. My bluetooth audio will disconnect if I go into reverse for too long or go in reverse more than once. I have a 6 speed manual. It clears out my spotify app on my phone...It eventually reconnects if I let it sit or press the power button a few times. Weird it's only tied to reverse.

#22 ·
For me, I rarely listen to the radio, when I start up the car I want to hear the engine, not the radio. I leave the jack for my MP3 plugged in the console so I have quiet when starting up. Having the option to shut off the radio sem-permanently would be nice...

artosa

Reactions: AstroKats
#29 ·
Here is the text log file from the update. So if 30 represents build week, it is definitely newer.

BUILD VERSION : Rel_U0.18.30.20
BUILD YEAR : 18
BUILD WEEK : 30
BUILD PATCH : 20
BUILD TYP : 1
BUILD BRANCH : Rel
BUILD VP : High

#32 ·
Tried the firmware update a month ago, to no effect: the CD player still had the "media loading" message every time I got back in the car.
Yesterday - a new low. The volume, and buttons, were completely unresponsive. Taking it in next Saturday. Awesome.
Sorry, had to vent. This is by far the shittiest head unit I've ever had and to have malfunctioning CD player from day 1 (what is that, late 80s tech?) has been pretty goddamn infuriating.
Not sure if I'm dumping it, but I'm close...

#37 ·
To add to what Steves1749 wrote, the service advisors (who check you in when you drop off your car for service) are often clueless about the latest recalls or updates. It helps to take printouts from MySubaru and other sites, to educate them... :D

#40 ·
Is it possible to run a iPhone and a iPod Nano with the ports in the console? When I tried a 32GB thumb drive and iPhone the iPhone took over and the HU never saw the thumb drive when both devices were plugged in. I was hoping to use a iPod Classic (160GB) but that never got recognized.

#41 ·
I'm not sure about all iPods but I've seen others report that the iPhone will take over. Same as when I have my Android plugged in - even if it's set to a higher priority, an iPhone will always take over. We have a separate iPhone cable plugged into the cig port just for charging. If you have room on your phone you're probably better off having all the music on there.

#44 ·
I have a 19 no NAV unit. On I believe is the latest firmware 19.22.70. I had all of the early issues of radio presets disappearing, AA disconnects to the point I would not use it and every once in a while when I would start the car the band would change from FM to AM. And I had the unit completely lock up to where I had to wait about an hour for the radio to reset. That only happened once. Since the last update I only have the change from FM to AM when I start the car happen maybe two or three times. AA still glitches every once in a great while. No where near as bad as it used to. Still all in all a pathetic HU that should have it's firmware updates extended for free or made available for us techie types to do our own updates via USB. Why I should have to pay to fix someone else's pathetic coding after the warranty period really burns my @ss.

#48 ·
Haven't received the postcard yet but I've read about it. Doesn't affect us much as we have the 10yr/100K extended warranty. Although I understand there's some compensation for how many times you had to visit the dealer for it.