Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

121 - 140 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not true - we have a '19 in the family and the non-nav can also update over Wi-Fi. Don't believe everything a dealer tells you... 😸

I'm not sure about this but it may require being brought up to a more recent firmware level to be able to then do OTA.
Just got back from the dealership with the latest firmware upgrade.

Still no update over Wi-Fi option in the menus. 2019 Premium, non-nav and no HK upgrade. Do you have the HK upgrade?

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Just got back from the dealership with the latest firmware upgrade.

Still no update over Wi-Fi option in the menus. 2019 Premium, non-nav and no HK upgrade. Do you have the HK upgrade?
Yes, we have the Limited with HK but I think the nav option only allows us the extra option of downloading firmware updates with maps.

Perhaps others can chime in...

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Did the update over Wi-Fi today and got version A2.20.07.20 which seems rather old.

It took 11 minutes. You don't need to have the engine running, just the ignition in the ACC position.

After the install, I thought I should test Android Auto so l plugged in the USB cable and got a "Welcome to Android Auto" message on my phone as if I was using it for the first time. I dismissed that and got a another prompt about setting up the Google Assistant, which I dismissed, then got the following. So, I guess you need to set up AA and probably CarPlay from scratch with this latest update, which I don't recall having to do before. After I did that it worked fine...

Reactions: SubieSubieDo

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,383 Posts
Yep, just checked mine, and says it has that version ready to download and install. Beats loading down on my PC and onto a USB, then installing in the car, like all my past updates. Will have to try the wifi route.

My previous update was done in early March.

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Yep, just checked mine, and says it has that version ready to download and install. Beats loading down on my PC and onto a USB, then installing in the car, like all my past updates. Will have to try the wifi route.

My previous update was done in early March.
Let us know what version you get...

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
BTW, Hyundai's map update is really archaic. The HU uses an SD card (large size, not the micro like in phones), 32G (very hard to even find one to buy that size). You first load it down on your PC and then need an SD adapter for your USB port to load the new software. It is very slow, and riddled with chances of mistakes (very poor instructions). And they warn you to not turn off your car, etc (sort of like Subaru did with the USB sticks) or you could brick your HU. Then you wait, and wait, and wait, not knowing if it works or not. Lots of guys on the forums screw up and most are afraid to even try it. I gave up trying to advise them (too many stupid luddites). Then they take it to the dealer and get charged for the update. They screw up, too, and some come back, and find they still have the old software in place.

So at least I will say Subaru is way ahead of Hyundai in this regard, and this wifi update should improve it even further.

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
It said A.2.20.07.20. Will verify it after the download and install.
Is that the one you got in March? That's the one I just got! Weird...

I don't have it set to automatically check because the popup that you have to dismiss every time you start the car that it DOESN'T have an update is annoying. How about only telling me when you do? Idiots...

But smarter than the idiots at Hyundai, apparently, LOL!

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Is that the one you got in March? That's the one I just got! Weird...

I don't have it set to automatically check because the popup that you have to dismiss every time you start the car that it DOESN'T have an update is annoying. How about only telling me when you do? Idiots...

But smarter than the idiots at Hyundai, apparently, LOL!
The March update was A1.19.45.20. Just did the new one and verified it afterwards, A2.20.07.20. And yeah, lot simpler and faster than the old way. Also had to do the Android Auto setup again, but no big deal.

I always have my auto updates shut off, so I don't get that nag message. All I had to do now, was check for updates, and went from there. Pretty foolproof...

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
A1.19.45.20 was the nav version for the '18 released in November 2019.

I had a suspicion that the maps don't get updated over Wi-Fi and sure enough, the only way to do that is via the maps site. Our version also changed from A1.19.45.20 to A2.20.07.20 but the map version did not change.

The new version bundled with maps is:

Rel_A2.20.18.20 NAFTA
USA Canada and Mexico_1036_7156_9747

Publication date: 2020-07-10 08:19

I'm not going to bother as we don't use the nav.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru XV Crosstrek
36 Posts
So Ive been having problems with the MySubaru app and the updating of my cars info on there. On June 1st I got a notification on the car saying I needed wiper fluid. No big deal got it filled. Next time I load into the app it is still showing it needing fluid. I check the dates and it is locked on June 1st, and now is showing I need to do the 12 month 12000 mile tune up. I have barely had the car for 6 months, and have 3000 miles on it.

After reading through here I have gone into my settings to see what version of the firmware I have and Im on REL_UA.19.01.70. Ive been working with Subaru corporate about this as the app is unusable at the moment even for remote start because of all of the pop ups about maintenance that isnt needed. When I go to Subaru Maps website it is showing I have no active updates needed for my system. Its a 2020 Premium that I love. Do you think that not having an updated firmware in the car might be the problem? Also is there a way to update the software without going to the dealership when the site isnt showing I need updates...

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
REL_UA.19.01.70 was problematic, I recall. If you have a 2020 you should be able to do the update over Wi-Fi. If you have nav, you should be able to get the latest firmware and maps via the maps site. It certainly does seem that your car is not communicating with the mothership and it's possible that's to do with the firmware you have. Can you post a screenshot of what you see on the maps site? Here's what I see:

·
Registered
608 Posts
Did the update over Wi-Fi today and got version A2.20.07.20 which seems rather old.

It took 11 minutes. You don't need to have the engine running, just the ignition in the ACC position.

After the install, I thought I should test Android Auto so l plugged in the USB cable and got a "Welcome to Android Auto" message on my phone as if I was using it for the first time. I dismissed that and got a another prompt about setting up the Google Assistant, which I dismissed, then got the following. So, I guess you need to set up AA and probably CarPlay from scratch with this latest update, which I don't recall having to do before. After I did that it worked fine...
Thanks Astokats. I set mine Wifi to do the Auto Updates. I've been having some glitches deleted my customised driver profiles, some settings on my phone and got a new USB cable. A bit better but not nearly as good as it was before. I think I'll go back to scratch with AA too now thanks to your post. 🙏🐨

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Thanks Astokats. I set mine Wifi to do the Auto Updates. I've been having some glitches deleted my customised driver profiles, some settings on my phone and got a new USB cable. A bit better but not nearly as good as it was before. I think I'll go back to scratch with AA too now thanks to your post. 🙏🐨
Let us know what you get! 😸

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
A1.19.45.20 was the nav version for the '18 released in November 2019.
I had a suspicion that the maps don't get updated over Wi-Fi and sure enough, the only way to do that is via the maps site. Our version also changed from A1.19.45.20 to A2.20.07.20 but the map version did not change.
The new version bundled with maps is:
Rel_A2.20.18.20 NAFTA
USA Canada and Mexico_1036_7156_9747
Publication date: 2020-07-10 08:19
I'm not going to bother as we don't use the nav.
My maps with the new wifi update also say version 1036_7156_9747, just as the website download site. The only diff is that it says version A2.20.18.20. for the software on the website. So it looks like the maps versions are the same (latest), but the website has a newer software version.

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Thanks but that looks like it's on a phone and very different from mine (Chrome on a PC). Can you try that?

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
My maps with the new wifi update also say version 1036_7156_9747, just as the website download site. The only diff is that it says version A2.20.18.20. for the software on the website. So it looks like the maps versions are the same (latest), but the website has a newer software version.
This is what I was looking at (from my first post here):

Gen 3.0 HU for most '18 cars (November 2019):
Firmware Version: A1.19.45.20 (non-nav, installed by a dealer on 3/4/20 was A1.19.12.20)
Maps Version: USA Canada and Mexico_1036_7156_9747

So the maps were not updated. Of course, what we don't know is what will happen if the maps ARE updated. I'll edit my post with an update. Thanks for pointing that out!

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
This is what I was looking at (from my first post here):

Gen 3.0 HU for most '18 cars (November 2019):
Firmware Version: A1.19.45.20 (non-nav, installed by a dealer on 3/4/20 was A1.19.12.20)
Maps Version: USA Canada and Mexico_1036_7156_9747

So the maps were not updated. Of course, what we don't know is what will happen if the maps ARE updated. I'll edit my post with an update. Thanks for pointing that out!
OK, but that is still the same version maps as on the website download. But why is the software version newer on the website? You'd think the wifi would use the same source site.

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
OK, but that is still the same version maps as on the website download. But why is the software version newer on the website? You'd think the wifi would use the same source site.
That's why I suspect the Wi-Fi update doesn't include maps. For all previous updates, the non-nav firmware and the firmware bundled with maps had a different version number.

121 - 140 of 173 Posts