Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
7,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
How to properly un-pair your iPhone and re-pair it with 3.0 and 3.1 HU

After 2 weeks of issues with my iPhone XR being unable to accept commands issued to it following a long press of the steering wheel phone button, I finally figured how to properly un-pair and re-pair my phone from the HU. I've been plagued this problem before in my 2019 Crosstrek Limited and although it works perfectly when connected via cable for Carplay, that is not as convenient to use when I just hop in the car to head 2 miles away to my office. I had restarted the HU multiple times with a >10 second press of the volume knob, opened and closed doors, "forgot" the Bluetooth device on my phone, etc., all to no avail. Today, to determine if the problem was my phone or the HU, I paired my wife's iPhone XR to my HU and it worked perfectly. We have the same iOS version (most recent) and all the settings were the same, so the problem was most likely my phone. What I finally did was the following:

• Delete the phone from the device list in the HU and then re-start the HU with a greater than 10 second push on the volume button, waiting until the Starlink splash screen appears before you release the button.
  • "Forget" the HU in your BT device list on the iPhone
  • Restart the phone. This was the trick. I had not been restarting my phone after deleting the HU BT device. Clearly some setting was being left behind that only got cleared when the phone was re-booted after deleting the HU from the iPhone BT device list.
Hope this helps out someone.
OAK hasn't had any issues with her iPhone 8 Plus but she hasn't installed the latest iOS yet (she tends to wait a while and see if there are any major issues). If this continues to work for you I'll add it to the intro post.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just returned from my dealer for the 10K Kilometer checkup and oil change. I mentioned that my head unit was still glitching and an update was found and applied. The version went from 19.22.70 to now 19.36.70. This is in a Non-Nav 8"HU on my 2019 Sport.

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
Just returned from my dealer for the 10K Kilometer checkup and oil change. I mentioned that my head unit was still glitching and an update was found and applied. The version went from 19.22.70 to now 19.36.70. This is in a Non-Nav 8"HU on my 2019 Sport.
Aha! That's a new one and closer to the 19.45 that the nav units got. So, I'll bet it's the non-nav version of the nav version from last November...

Thanks!

Edit: looks like someone else got 19.36.70 with a non-nav in January, so that pretty much confirms it...

·
Registered
256 Posts
I just had my 2018 8" non nav flashed and they gave me _A1.19.12.20

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I just had my 2018 8" non nav flashed and they gave me _A1.19.12.20
I'm surprised they don't have a more recent one that that (April 2019) since they have a much newer one for the '18 Limited with nav...

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm surprised they don't have a more recent one that that (April 2019) since they have a much newer one for the '18 Limited with nav...
I'm just happy they didn't brick my HU like they did the first time they upgraded me. I treid to find the most up to date version for Non -nav and could not find it.

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I'm just happy they didn't brick my HU like they did the first time they upgraded me. I treid to find the most up to date version for Non -nav and could not find it.
If it's going to get bricked, I'd rather they did it than me, LOL!

There have been a couple of posts about getting a newer version for the Gen 3.1 without nav (19.36.70) but not the Gen 3 without nav. Of course, it's possible that the 19.45.20 for the nav versions like ours is the exact same firmware but just bundled with the nav update in December. It drives me batty that we have to hunt around in the dark for this information and can't just go to a Subaru or Harman site, see the change logs and download latest firmware if we want to...

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
21 Posts
My 2020 Limited (non-nav) just downloaded and installed the 19.36.70 update using its WiFi connection.
-steve

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
My 2020 Limited (non-nav) just downloaded and installed the 19.36.70 update using its WiFi connection.
-steve
So, the cars with Wi-Fi can get the latest updates! Thank you for posting this!

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
hmmm. I have 19.22.70. I wonder what fixes are in 19.36.70 from 19.22.70.
If you can find out, please let us know!

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
21 Posts
The following info was gleaned from TSB 15-236-18R; referring to firmware update 19.36.70.

Update #4, 12/18/19 Rel_UA.19.36.70 Rel_UA.19.42.70** Revised 15-236-18R, INCLUDES updates #1, #2 and #3 above and addresses these additional conditions: - Navigation Route Calculation takes too much time. - SXM Preset Program List is lost. - Enhanced CD (e-CD) does not play. - Voice recognition (VR) does not operate correctly. - When the ignition switch is turned on, music in USB memory goes back to track #1. - Phonebook cannot be downloaded from a connected smart phone. - When the ignition switch is turned on, a message of ‘Invalid Destination Code’ is displayed. - When using voice recognition for route searching, the state name is recognized wrong. - When MOTA (Map update Over The Air) is conducted, the map display goes blank (white) temporarily. In case the customer terminates the MOTA when in this condition, the map stays blank (white). See NOTE 1 below. - Hands Free conversation volume not loud enough compared to the audio volume (unfavorable balance). See NOTE 2 below. -Added function for SXM Weather Alert setup4 12/18/19 Rel_UA.19.36.70 Rel_UA.19.42.70** Revised 15-236-18R, INCLUDES updates #1, #2 and #3 above and addresses these additional conditions: - Navigation Route Calculation takes too much time. - SXM Preset Program List is lost. - Enhanced CD (e-CD) does not play. - Voice recognition (VR) does not operate correctly. - When the ignition switch is turned on, music in USB memory goes back to track #1. - Phonebook cannot be downloaded from a connected smart phone. - When the ignition switch is turned on, a message of ‘Invalid Destination Code’ is displayed. - When using voice recognition for route searching, the state name is recognized wrong. - When MOTA (Map update Over The Air) is conducted, the map display goes blank (white) temporarily. In case the customer terminates the MOTA when in this condition, the map stays blank (white). See NOTE 1 below. - Hands Free conversation volume not loud enough compared to the audio volume (unfavorable balance). See NOTE 2 below. -Added function for SXM Weather Alert setup

Conditions Addressed By Update #4: 1) Navigation Route Calculation takes too much time. 2) SXM Preset Program List is lost. 3) Enhanced CD (e-CD) does not play. 4) Voice recognition (VR) does not operate correctly.
Bulletin Number: 15-236-18R; Revised: 12/30/19 Page 15 of 17 Continued...
5) When the ignition switch is turned on, music in USB memory goes back to track #1. 6) Phonebook cannot be downloaded from a connected smart phone. 7) When the ignition switch is turned on, a message of ‘Invalid Destination Code’ is displayed. 8) When using voice recognition for route searching, the state name is recognized wrong. 9) When MOTA (Map update Over The Air) is conducted, the map display goes blank (white) temporarily. In case the customer terminates the MOTA when in this condition, the map stays blank (white). See NOTE 1 below. 10) Hands Free conversation volume not loud enough compared to the audio volume (unfavorable balance). See NOTE 2 below. 11) Added function for SXM Weather Alert setup NOTE 1: The MOTA operation is performed in two steps, i.e., Downloading (download the map data to the H/U via Wi-Fi) and Overwriting (replace the map data to new one inside the H/U.) Before updating the software to Ver. 6, the map screen turns blank (white) during the Downloading process until it is completed. If the customer stops (by turning off the H/U,) during the Downloading process, the map display will stay in blank condition. The MOTA operation can be restarted even in this condition. After the Ver. 6 software is installed, the map does not turn to blank (white) during Downloading. However, the map still turns to blank (white) during the Overwriting process, which is a normal operating characteristic.
NOTE 2: To meet with customer expectations, Ver. 6 software will increase the Hands-Free conversation volume by 6dB against the base audio volume. Customers will now be able to hear Hands Free conversation volume which used to be at audio volume level 30 at level 22 after installing this update. If the customer prefers the original Hands-Free conversation volume setting, it can be manually adjusted by following: Home >> Settings >> Sound Tab >> Phone Volume >> then lowering the volume 6 - 8 steps. The base audio volume setting chosen at the Factory Data Reset is at level 22 compared to the previous setting, which is level 30. (This means customers will no longer have to adjust the base audio volume to get comfortable Hands-Free conversation volume.)

Hope this helps.
-steve

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's a lot of fixes in an update by software standards. I have 19.36.70 on my 8" NON-Nav and initially Android auto refused to work but after some poking around it works well now. I've only had this firmware for 8 days now but the audio issues I was having before, channels becoming distorted, volume control activating by itself and others have not reappeared.....so far.

·
Registered
2018 XV 2.0iS CVT in Dark Blue
186 Posts
So, the cars with Wi-Fi can get the latest updates! Thank you for posting this!
Yes. I connected ours to the home WiFi right away and selected Update Automatically in the HU Settings. Just recently I started getting screen messages that the "Update has failed. Try again?". I mentioned to my husband that the car updates had begun failing and he says "Oh yeah ..." It turned out he'd changed back to the old home modem and hadn't told me. 🐨

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Yes. I connected ours to the home WiFi right away and selected Update Automatically in the HU Settings. Just recently I started getting screen messages that the "Update has failed. Try again?". I mentioned to my husband that the car updates had begun failing and he says "Oh yeah ..." It turned out he'd changed back to the old home modem and hadn't told me. 🐨
Darn husbands, LOL!

·
Registered
2018 Subaru XV Premium SE
18 Posts
Just downloaded the latest update on my 2018 xv via the aha apm (only just downloaded that into my mobile too) and connecting to Wi-Fi by creating a hotspot on my phone.

Seems to have gone well and took about five minutes in total from the start of the process.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Dear Scoobynoob,

I am living in Germany and I am driving the same model as you do. May I know your procedure of update via the aha apm (?) in detail? I want to try it as well. Contacting my dealer is not possible these days due to the Corona lock down here in Bavaria. Thank you very much.

Mens sana in corpore sano

Thomas

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Thomas,

I really didn't have to do much at all,it pretty much did it itself..

My procedure was to download the aha app on the Google play store,then open it and enroll in there by setting it up with my email and a password.

I then added the social networks I wanted to add to the app etc.

In the car,I then went to settings and WiFi and after turning on my phone's WiFi hotspot,added it as the subarus WiFi source.

Also in the cars settings you need to turn on auto update and download.

Upon pressing on the aha app in the cars infotainment screen,it connects to my phone and vegan to automatically download the update file,I just had to authorize it a few times as I recall.

Throughout the procedure,I didn't touch the phone or the infotainment other than for authorization.

I also kept the car running until it had completely finished (the screen will turn off and come back on again,don't panic!

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Hi Thomas,

I really didn't have to do much at all,it pretty much did it itself..

My procedure was to download the aha app on the Google play store,then open it and enroll in there by setting it up with my email and a password.

I then added the social networks I wanted to add to the app etc.

In the car,I then went to settings and WiFi and after turning on my phone's WiFi hotspot,added it as the subarus WiFi source.

Also in the cars settings you need to turn on auto update and download.

Upon pressing on the aha app in the cars infotainment screen,it connects to my phone and vegan to automatically download the update file,I just had to authorize it a few times as I recall.

Throughout the procedure,I didn't touch the phone or the infotainment other than for authorization.

I also kept the car running until it had completely finished (the screen will turn off and come back on again,don't panic!
These are actually two separate updates. If your car has Wi-Fi update capability you shouldn't need to use the Aha app for firmware updates. Just connect the car to Wi-Fi and turn on updates. The car should do the rest. Personally, I don't leave it set to auto update because I find the prompt every time I start the car telling me that there are no updates is annoying.

It's also not necessary to have the car running the entire time. Having the ignition on is fine. They may suggest that in case you have a really low battery.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Astro,cheers for that...it may well have been that it updated straight from my hotspot then,rather than aha,I just assumed it has because it was also running.

Good to know!

61 - 80 of 87 Posts