Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
661 - 680 of 704 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Crosstrek Premium/2020 Subaru Forester Sport
130 Posts
Or look it up on eBay. However, it may not work. We have a 18 crosstrek premium. It had a 6” HU like yours. However, when I put in the 8” in our crosstrek, the original single usb works with android phone BUT will not connect with iPhone. I end up have to get a 2 ports usb for the 19 Subaru (not sure what model) off the ebay with 2.1amp output. Works great now. That also fix the battery drain issue. However, swapping out the usb/aux is not an easy job. You will need to take out the center cup holder section to get to the usb/aux port. I broke the single usb/aux port before i realized I had to take the cup holder section out.
Aye, was hoping it might be otherwise, but afraid it aight so... Trip to the dealer it will be then - will try to get ahold of that double usb port from the limited at the same time.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I'm at a loss. How could my car of been built with such old software? I just did the WiFi update and it installed Rel_UA.20.38.70 which according to the info in the first post came out the end of last year? I took delivery July 5, car was built May '21 per the sticker. The factory installed software was Ref_UA.19.36.70

🤷‍♀️

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #663 ·
I'm at a loss. How could my car of been built with such old software? I just did the WiFi update and it installed Rel_UA.20.38.70 which according to the info in the first post came out the end of last year? I took delivery July 5, car was built May '21 per the sticker. The factory installed software was Ref_UA.19.36.70

🤷‍♀️
Car manufacturers do that, they manufacture cars, not electronics...

·
Registered
930 Posts
Car manufacturers do that, they manufacture cars, not electronics...
Maybe Subaru. My other vehicles over the years have always gotten updated if in the dealer for any reason. When new they had to be updated before delivery. Seems pretty straight forward. Maybe a Subaru thing or this dealer is lazy, not sure. In any event, thanks for the tip on being out of date. I'll see if the update helps.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The other day I was reading about Android Auto and how it can use WiFi (rather than a USB cable) on the latest vehicles. Well.. my 2018 Canada Crosstrek "Sport" model is not a "latest", but I turned on the WiFi to try anyway..

And.. it found and downloaded a firmware update! Wow.. that's the first time the built-in WiFi has ever been useful for anything.

The only thing I've noticed in the new firmware is that sometimes the HU powers up without the volume controls functioning -- I have to reboot it (or power off/on) to get it back when that happens.

As for Android Auto (AA) -- it would require a dual-band WiFi head-unit (AA uses 5GHz) and my Subaru has only 2.4GHz, so no-go with the built-in stuff for now. There are aftermarket items that enable AA WiFi but the USB cable is fine for now.

·
Prefers black cats
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #666 ·
Subaru, AKA Fuji Heavy Industries, Ltd. doesn't only make cars. I doubt that the crappy HU is even on their radar... :rolleyes:

·
Prefers black cats
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #667 ·
Just realized while replying to another post - Subaru AKA Fuji doesn't make the HU, it's made by Harman International Industries.

·
Prefers black cats
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #669 ·
Yeah and I think Malaysia has yet another brand.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
271 Posts
Any word if Subaru will release a new update around the same time as last year? I think it was around mid-December last year.
I just updated my software this past weekend. I decided to check on a whim and there was an update released. So sometime in the last couple months they released an update. I took delivery of my car in the middle of August and I originally had it setup to automatically check for updates via my home WLAN for a few weeks after taking delivery. I got sick of the "no update" message coming up every time I started the car or came home so I disabled it. This past weekend I connected the car to my phones hotspot and checked for updates...and there was one.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
271 Posts
I believe models without GPS don't have the same software version as models with GPS. I think your current version is the latest available but I might be incorrect.
This is what I am assuming as well.

What's weird is why it took so long before It was made available to me. 38th week of 2020 is the update date. It wasn't until sometime after September of '21 before I received notification of it. As between the time I took delivery on August 12th till about the beginning of September I had it checking for updates whenever it connected to my WIFI (every time I started the car or came home).

·
Prefers black cats
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #678 ·
There is no rhyme or reason to it and certainly not a set release schedule. I try to keep the first post updated. There are four versions, Gen 3.0 and 3.1, with or without nav.

The frequency of updates has slowed as they have been fixing most of the bugs.

Reactions: DAG and Arthur

·
Registered
611 Posts
New update for at least version 3.1: REL_UA_21.41.70

·
Prefers black cats
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #680 ·
661 - 680 of 704 Posts