Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

341 - 360 of 367 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Bricking is when an electronic device gets messed up so badly, it can't be restored.
In other words, its now a brick to use as a paperweight, door stop or in a cool wall design.

A normal wifi update shouldn't brick it. I'd only done it once but it downloaded the entire package before installing.
However, if the power is shut off during the installation process, you do run the risk becasue it won't know what to do with itself.
I've tried to update over Wi-Fi and it didn't update at all. So I'll be updating via USB which is fine with me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Bricking is when an electronic device gets messed up so badly, it can't be restored.
In other words, its now a brick to use as a paperweight, door stop or in a cool wall design.

A normal wifi update shouldn't brick it. I'd only done it once but it downloaded the entire package before installing.
However, if the power is shut off during the installation process, you do run the risk becasue it won't know what to do with itself.
I feel like the HU is smart enough to turn itself off and protect the system if the power was disconnected for whatever reason.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #343
I feel like the HU is smart enough to turn itself off and protect the system if the power was disconnected for whatever reason.
Don't count on it...

·
Registered
2017 and 2021 CrossTrek Limited
159 Posts
After six weeks, still no vin recognition for maps, but, as posted by others, I was able to update OtA eight states/territories. In this situation, how can one get the latest firmware update? I seem to be a release behind. OtA reports “current”....

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #345
After six weeks, still no vin recognition for maps, but, as posted by others, I was able to update OtA eight states/territories. In this situation, how can one get the latest firmware update? I seem to be a release behind. OtA reports “current”....
What version do you have? The latest one is maps only (via USB), so if you're on the one before, the firmware is up to date.

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Liimited, 2018 Outback Touring, 2005 WRX
67 Posts
I'm assuming it will take less if you select one or two states and the firmware when you first update. Then... subsequently, you can add more states at your leisure or when needed... right?
To clarify, when you update via USB, you don't get a choice of which states you want. You get them all and with that bundle comes the lengthy process to do the update.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #348
I've never experienced an issue with the HU.
Past performance is no guarantee of future results... 😸

Check out this Wikipedia article, especially this paragraph (emphasis added):

"Bricking a device is usually a result of interrupting an attempt to update the device. Many devices have an update procedure which must not be interrupted before completion; if interrupted by a power failure, user intervention, or any other reason, the existing firmware may be partially overwritten and unusable. The risk of corruption can be minimized by taking all possible precautions against interruption."

·
Registered
69 Posts
Past performance is no guarantee of future results... 😸

Check out this Wikipedia article, especially this paragraph (emphasis added):

"Bricking a device is usually a result of interrupting an attempt to update the device. Many devices have an update procedure which must not be interrupted before completion; if interrupted by a power failure, user intervention, or any other reason, the existing firmware may be partially overwritten and unusable. The risk of corruption can be minimized by taking all possible precautions against interruption."

Okay, bud... I had my engine running when I was updating the HU. I'm not stupid to run the system in the ACC/ON mode.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #350
I read back a bit and I see what you mean now. If the download was interrupted (not the power) it would probably be OK. But with this HU, who the heck knows... 😸

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was finally able to connect my 2021 Crosstrek Limited with the HK sound system to a WiFi network to check for software updates. Given that I was not getting a WiFi signal at my sister's garage, I brought my GL-iNet AR750S-Ext Travel Router to her house and configured it in "Repeater" mode to extend the signal of her WiFi router so it could reach her garage. It worked perfectly... I would recommend this little router to anyone needing to increase the reach of a WiFi signal temporarely. I mostly use it as a "compact" Travel Router that allows me to share the WiFi signal with several devices from sites with Captive WiFi Portals like hotels and airports. It allows my devices to communicate with each other via WiFi in public places including using my Chromecast dongle with hotel TVs. It also protects your WiFi signal in public places via its built-in VPN capabilities.

Back to the topic of firmware + maps updates. After connecting to WiFi the HU reported that its software was up to date. As I reported earlier the current versions installed in my Crosstrek are Rel_UA.19.36.70 and Navi Database Version: North America_2017.03_7006_28/12545/272294/18208 which are earlier releases than the latest releases (Rel_UF.20.28.70 Maps Version: North America_2017.03_7482_28/12545/272294/40658) mentioned in the first post of this thread. Of course, assuming that my 2021 has a Gen 3.1 HU.

A couple questions.

Did all those currently running the latest release mentioned in the 1st post updated their HUs via USB after downloading the bundle from the Subaru/HK maps site or did you get this update via OTA (WiFi connection).

How long did it take for your VIN# to be listed in the maps+firmware (Subaru/HK) download site? I called the Subaru Customer Advocacy Department at 1-800-782-2783 to find out what was causing the VIN# not being valid, but wasn't given much info. Other than telling me to wait.. for how long?... they didn't know. Is there some other Subaru department that I should be contacting to try to get a more detailed answer?

Btw, I used the native infotaiment navigation system for a little while, but I'm not too impressed. Leaning towards using Google Maps and/or Waze. I'm very confortable using Gmaps with Android Auto. Yesterday I tried using Waze, but without much success. Sometimes the HU would warn me that I needed to finish configuring Waze in the phone. After doing so, it would work... but after disconnecting and reconnecting the phone it would give the same warning message. It appear that Gmaps is better integrated than Waze at this point. What's the consensus with these two Android apps in the community?

Having lots of fun... Very happy with my Crosstrek Limited... 221 miles, so far.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #352
Yes, your '21 is Gen 3.1

I haven't done the USB update for a while, only Wi-Fi, as we don't use the onboard nav. Google Maps is way better. Remember to download maps to Google Maps if you're going somewhere you won't have a cellular signal. With the 3.1 you should be able to download local areas over Wi-Fi if you want.

Can't help with the VIN. I don't recall there being a delay with ours but I've read here of folks waiting several days.

We've both tried Waze a few times and don't like that it will take us on a back street to save a minute, then expect us to cross a busy six lane street with no stop light. OAK (Other AstroKat) has an iPhone and prefers Google Maps over Apple Maps, although Google Maps, not surprisingly, is less integrated on the iPhone. So definitely Google Maps wins in this household!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Google Maps wins in our house too. I use it on an Android with Android Auto, the wife uses it on an iPhone with CarPlay. I tried Waze exactly once - detested it and deleted the app immediately. Both work well. Both cars have built-in Nav systems - mine is the 2018 Crosstrek, the wife's is the 2019 Forester.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #354
Google Maps wins in our house too. I use it on an Android with Android Auto, the wife uses it on an iPhone with CarPlay. I tried Waze exactly once - detested it and deleted the app immediately. Both work well. Both cars have built-in Nav systems - mine is the 2018 Crosstrek, the wife's is the 2019 Forester.
Our situation exactly... 😸

Reactions: chuck-ob

·
Registered
20 Posts
A couple quick questions for those with US 2021 Crosstrek Limited with option Package Code 33 installed (HK Sound System). My Crosstrek has Software Version: Rel_UA.19.36.70 an Navi Database Version: North America_2017.03_7006_28/12545/272294/18208 - What are the current versions on your 2021 Crosstrek Limited Head Unit? For some reason I'm unable to register my 2021 Crosstrek VIN# at subaru.maps.com to double-check that I have the latest. Anyone else with a 2021 still getting an "Invalid VIN#" message when trying to register your vehicle at maps.subaru.com? Could it be that the Subaru maps site is meant for earlier year models? Thanks...

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
234 Posts
A couple quick questions for those with US 2021 Crosstrek Limited with option Package Code 33 installed (HK Sound System). My Crosstrek has Software Version: Rel_UA.19.36.70 an Navi Database Version: North America_2017.03_7006_28/12545/272294/18208 - What are the current versions on your 2021 Crosstrek Limited Head Unit? For some reason I'm unable to register my 2021 Crosstrek VIN# at subaru.maps.com to double-check that I have the latest. Anyone else with a 2021 still getting an "Invalid VIN#" message when trying to register your vehicle at maps.subaru.com? Could it be that the Subaru maps site is meant for earlier year models? Thanks...
To my knowledge, the 19.36.70 update is the most recent for the non-nav 3.1HU.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #357
From what I understand, the latest map update was just that, a map update. The firmware for other stuff didn't change.

I wish Subaru and Harman would be more open about this but here we are.

You should keep pressing your dealer and SOA to get your VIN registered...

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #359
Thanks for your reply. My 3.1HU has Navigation enabled for 3 years
Yep, if you have the HK/nav package you should get three years of maps updates, then they'll harass you for a subscription...

Reactions: tamanaco

·
Registered
20 Posts
I wish Subaru and Harman would be more open about this but here we are.

You should keep pressing your dealer and SOA to get your VIN registered...
I contacted someone at SoA Advocacy and was told to give it a couple weeks. I will contact them again next week. I also emailed them via the SoA Resources page and submitted a copy of the Bill of Sale as required. Hopefully, I will get some clarification next week. Just wanted to double-check with folks here to make sure that the current release in my 2021 Limited with Nav and HK sound system is the same for all the members here that recently purchase the same specific year, trim and options package..

341 - 360 of 367 Posts