Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

321 - 340 of 367 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just download the map update from the computer and plug that USB to your car. I found that updating through Wi-Fi it doesn't really work. It's okay if you want to update the head units firmware, but to update a map over Wi-Fi isn't worth it.
I would like to give the USB method a try, but it appears that my VIN # has not been submitted to the Subaru/Harman Kandon site where the firmware+maps bundles reside. I was able to download and install the Windows software downloader application, but it also requires a "valid" (registered) VIN #. I believe it takes a little while after the dealer submit the a new VIN # for some Subaru systems to be updated. I just picked up my limited this past Monday. Hopefully, I will be able to download the latest bundle soon.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would like to give the USB method a try, but it appears that my VIN # has not been submitted to the Subaru/Harman Kandon site where the firmware+maps bundles reside. I was able to download and install the software downloader windows application, but it also requires a "valid" (registered) VIN #. I believe it takes a little while after the dealer submit the a new VIN # for some Subaru systems to be updated. I just picked up my limited this past Monday. Hopefully, I will be able to download the latest bundle soon.
I uploaded my ownership paper’s on Subaru Canada and I was able to have access to MySubaru. I’m not sure how it works in the States, but see you can do something like that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Actually the car just turned itself off so I did start the car, backed it out of the garage, and fortunately the wifi stayed connected...still downloading.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I uploaded my ownership paper’s on Subaru Canada and I was able to have access to MySubaru. I’m not sure how it works in the States, but see you can do something like that.
The details including the VIN # of my Crosstrek are already in the MySubaru site, but when I enter the VIN # to add a vehicle to the Subaru/HK site the VIN # is flagged as invalid.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The details including the VIN # of my Crosstrek are already in the MySubaru site, but when I enter the VIN # to add a vehicle to the Subaru/HK site the VIN # is flagged as invalid.
I see. Hopefully they process your stuff quickly.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #328
Actually the car just turned itself off so I did start the car, backed it out of the garage, and fortunately the wifi stayed connected...still downloading.
Probably why the TSB wants you to have the engine running...

Btw, I didn't think you could download maps over Wi-Fi. Maybe it's just later models. I don't see that option on our '18 but we don't use the onbard, we use Google Maps.

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Liimited, 2018 Outback Touring, 2005 WRX
67 Posts
I was able to choose up to 8 states to update the maps via wifi in my 2019 Crosstrek limited with Nav.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #330
In the manual for the '18, it only says:

Maps can be updated using a USB memory device.
For details, contact your SUBARU dealer.

So maybe the Wi-Fi update option was added in the Gen 3.1 HU for the '19+

·
Registered
5 Posts
Aha! I see now why you don't consider it a problem, as you want the radio to always be on when you're in the car.

Our Honda, for example, has a radio with a push on/off radio power button and a separate volume control. If I turn off the radio while I'm driving, then stop the car, the next time I start the car the radio is off. If I push the power button, the radio comes back on at the same volume it was previously. If the radio is left on when the car is stopped then when started again, the radio comes on, at the same volume it was left when the car was stopped. This behavior would work for you too - every time you turned on the car, it would be as you left it with the radio at the volume you like. This seems to be normal and very common behavior with car audio systems even going back to radios with a mechanical knob you turned until it clicked off. Not the Crosstrek, however...

For someone like me who doesn't always want the radio on, the only solution is to turn the volume all the way down. I don't want to have to shut off the entire system to not hear the radio (I may want to make a phone call, or use nav). So, even with the change in the latest firmware, despite being a small move in the right direction, in my opinion, it's still not functioning properly.
it escalated quickly in here :D

·
Registered
356 Posts
It’s nice if you want to update a select amount of states/provinces. However, if you update via USB you can update the entire system at once and save yourself a bit of time. :)
FYI - It takes over an hour via an USB stick. This includes downloading it to the stick and loading it into the car.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #334
FYI - It takes over an hour via an USB stick. This includes downloading it to the stick and loading it into the car.
I think what's relevant is the time it takes in the car, especially since they tell you to leave the engine running...

Reactions: DAG

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm assuming it will take less if you select one or two states and the firmware when you first update. Then... subsequently, you can add more states at your leisure or when needed... right?

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #336
I'm assuming it will take less if you select one or two states and the firmware when you first update. Then... subsequently, you can add more states at your leisure or when needed... right?
That's my understanding...

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think what's relevant is the time it takes in the car, especially since they tell you to leave the engine running...
If you have a decent Wi-Fi connection, it shouldn't take too long to download the file to the USB. Sure, it may take about 45 min for the car to upload the software. But I'd rather do that because over-the-air Wi-Fi could crash in the process, then you'd have to start all over again...

Side note: I meant to reply to Sheldon, not Astrokats...

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #338
If you have a decent Wi-Fi connection, it shouldn't take too long to download the file to the USB. Sure, it may take about 45 min for the car to upload the software. But I'd rather do that because over-the-air Wi-Fi could crash in the process, then you'd have to start all over again...

Side note: I meant to reply to Sheldon, not Astokats...
Yeah, or brick the HU...

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
If you don't mind to explain, what do you mean by "brick" the HU?
Bricking is when an electronic device gets messed up so badly, it can't be restored.
In other words, its now a brick to use as a paperweight, door stop or in a cool wall design.

A normal wifi update shouldn't brick it. I'd only done it once but it downloaded the entire package before installing.
However, if the power is shut off during the installation process, you do run the risk becasue it won't know what to do with itself.

321 - 340 of 367 Posts