Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited - Magnetite Gray Metalic
64 Posts
Picked up my 2021 Crosstrek Limited in NYC on Monday and the HU is running Software Version Rel_UA.19.36.70 and Navi Database Version: North America_2017.03_7006_28/12545/272294/18208 Are these the latest releases available?

I tried downloading the latest Firmware/Maps bundle from subaru-maps.com, but the VIN# of my Crosstrek appears as invalid. While at the dealer I setup MySubaru App and had assumed that my VIN# would have been submitted to all SOA systems including subaru-maps.com. I emailed my dealer to make sure that the VIN#was submitted to all the SOA that require it, but have yet to hear back. I'm wondering if I need to wait for some time before all the SOA systems are updated. What's everyone else experience with SOA system that require a Valid VIN#?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I keep the first post updated with new versions as we become aware of them. That's an older version than the most recent ones we've seen here. And, yes, it may take a few days for your VIN to be recognized.
Thanks for the your response, I appreciate it. From now on I will look at the first post on this thread before asking.

A couple more questions. MySubaru vs STARLINK Apps. My dealer told me that MySubaru App now supersedes the STARTLINK App and that all the functionality in STARTLINK is now in MySubaru. Is this correct? Is there any functionality left behind in STARLINK that I should know about?

Once I found out that the software in the HU of 2021 Crosstrek Limited is outdated, I drove up to my sister house to try to get WiFi signal from her garage to update the software+maps in the HU, but the signal was too weak. She wasn't in the mood for me to run wires to move the router (I installed for her) closer to the garage. I can't do if from my place because I live on a 7th floor apartment. Believe me... I tried to connect to my router from the street, but my building is too far off the curb. Next, I plan to use the Aha! app, but I couldn't find a way to download the software+maps updates to the phone via WiFi "ahead" of time. My assumption is that I will have to use my cell phone data service to download the software+maps updates to my phone while the phone is connected to the HU. Am I right? How big are these update files? I guess I will have to find a place where I can get great cell data service or park next to a Starbucks or Public WiFi with a signal strong enough to reach my car. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just download the map update from the computer and plug that USB to your car. I found that updating through Wi-Fi it doesn't really work. It's okay if you want to update the head units firmware, but to update a map over Wi-Fi isn't worth it.
I would like to give the USB method a try, but it appears that my VIN # has not been submitted to the Subaru/Harman Kandon site where the firmware+maps bundles reside. I was able to download and install the Windows software downloader application, but it also requires a "valid" (registered) VIN #. I believe it takes a little while after the dealer submit the a new VIN # for some Subaru systems to be updated. I just picked up my limited this past Monday. Hopefully, I will be able to download the latest bundle soon.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I uploaded my ownership paper’s on Subaru Canada and I was able to have access to MySubaru. I’m not sure how it works in the States, but see you can do something like that.
The details including the VIN # of my Crosstrek are already in the MySubaru site, but when I enter the VIN # to add a vehicle to the Subaru/HK site the VIN # is flagged as invalid.

·
Registered
64 Posts
FYI - It takes over an hour via an USB stick. This includes downloading it to the stick and loading it into the car.
I'm assuming it will take less if you select one or two states and the firmware when you first update. Then... subsequently, you can add more states at your leisure or when needed... right?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was finally able to connect my 2021 Crosstrek Limited with the HK sound system to a WiFi network to check for software updates. Given that I was not getting a WiFi signal at my sister's garage, I brought my GL-iNet AR750S-Ext Travel Router to her house and configured it in "Repeater" mode to extend the signal of her WiFi router so it could reach her garage. It worked perfectly... I would recommend this little router to anyone needing to increase the reach of a WiFi signal temporarely. I mostly use it as a "compact" Travel Router that allows me to share the WiFi signal with several devices from sites with Captive WiFi Portals like hotels and airports. It allows my devices to communicate with each other via WiFi in public places including using my Chromecast dongle with hotel TVs. It also protects your WiFi signal in public places via its built-in VPN capabilities.

Back to the topic of firmware + maps updates. After connecting to WiFi the HU reported that its software was up to date. As I reported earlier the current versions installed in my Crosstrek are Rel_UA.19.36.70 and Navi Database Version: North America_2017.03_7006_28/12545/272294/18208 which are earlier releases than the latest releases (Rel_UF.20.28.70 Maps Version: North America_2017.03_7482_28/12545/272294/40658) mentioned in the first post of this thread. Of course, assuming that my 2021 has a Gen 3.1 HU.

A couple questions.

Did all those currently running the latest release mentioned in the 1st post updated their HUs via USB after downloading the bundle from the Subaru/HK maps site or did you get this update via OTA (WiFi connection).

How long did it take for your VIN# to be listed in the maps+firmware (Subaru/HK) download site? I called the Subaru Customer Advocacy Department at 1-800-782-2783 to find out what was causing the VIN# not being valid, but wasn't given much info. Other than telling me to wait.. for how long?... they didn't know. Is there some other Subaru department that I should be contacting to try to get a more detailed answer?

Btw, I used the native infotaiment navigation system for a little while, but I'm not too impressed. Leaning towards using Google Maps and/or Waze. I'm very confortable using Gmaps with Android Auto. Yesterday I tried using Waze, but without much success. Sometimes the HU would warn me that I needed to finish configuring Waze in the phone. After doing so, it would work... but after disconnecting and reconnecting the phone it would give the same warning message. It appear that Gmaps is better integrated than Waze at this point. What's the consensus with these two Android apps in the community?

Having lots of fun... Very happy with my Crosstrek Limited... 221 miles, so far.

·
Registered
64 Posts
A couple quick questions for those with US 2021 Crosstrek Limited with option Package Code 33 installed (HK Sound System). My Crosstrek has Software Version: Rel_UA.19.36.70 an Navi Database Version: North America_2017.03_7006_28/12545/272294/18208 - What are the current versions on your 2021 Crosstrek Limited Head Unit? For some reason I'm unable to register my 2021 Crosstrek VIN# at subaru.maps.com to double-check that I have the latest. Anyone else with a 2021 still getting an "Invalid VIN#" message when trying to register your vehicle at maps.subaru.com? Could it be that the Subaru maps site is meant for earlier year models? Thanks...

·
Registered
64 Posts
I wish Subaru and Harman would be more open about this but here we are.

You should keep pressing your dealer and SOA to get your VIN registered...
I contacted someone at SoA Advocacy and was told to give it a couple weeks. I will contact them again next week. I also emailed them via the SoA Resources page and submitted a copy of the Bill of Sale as required. Hopefully, I will get some clarification next week. Just wanted to double-check with folks here to make sure that the current release in my 2021 Limited with Nav and HK sound system is the same for all the members here that recently purchase the same specific year, trim and options package..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thank you! Please update this post - it's the only way we get info about what they're doing...
Today I was finally able to add my 2021 Crosstrek Limited VIN# to the subaru.maps.com. It took 7 weeks from the day I took possession of the car for the VIN# to be validated. I downloaded the map Rel_UF.20.28.70 NAFTA dated 08/26/20 and created an update image on a USB stick. I will probably install it over the weekend. Based on the image date, this update was already available when I took possession of the car, so I guess the VIN# needed to be entered by someone at Subaru. I was told by support several times that the reason I was unable to register my VIN# on the site was because there were no updates available for my year/model. I guess that info was incorrect, given that the update was released in August... a month before I got the car. Anyway, I'm a happy camper.

Only thing remaining is to get the Vehicle Resources Web Site (Equipment Features) section to display the details of my Crosstrek Limited. (Info currently unavailable) The VIN# is listed correctly on the page. I'm still waiting for a reply from SoA Support regarding this, not so critical, issue.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Why do you care about this site? I know the features of my car.
As I mentioned in my post, it's not a "critical" issue. When I started having the issue with the VIN# there was no way for me to know if the VIN# issue was related to "both" maps and resources sites. Now I know that they're separated issues. I also know the features of my car, but I don't know if "notices" of issues related to said features would show up under that tab. I just bought the car and would like all the info associated with its features listed on their official web site. Just in case this info is also used by Subaru Support folks. One "might" have a question/issue related to an OEM feature installed in the car that "might" be impacted by one or more of the other installed OEM features.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Obvously the site is broken since it doesn't work for two cars (one I now own -'21 and one I traded in - '18) plus your car. I am sure Subaru has another database with that info. They created the "sticker" with all the options listed. The site you want is "mysubaru".
I also use MySubaru, but at one point I was re-directed to the Resources and Map sites and found that they were not working. Someone in Subaru support is supposed to get back to me with an answer related to these sites not working. At no point, after several emails exchanges, did the support person mentioned that the Resources site was discontinued. But... who knows.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Took almost the full hour it threatened to, but so errors were encountered. Don't notice much different, but i haven't mucked about in the dealer/factory menu settings, so there's likely lots that I'm not seeing because I'm afraid of frelling something up and turning the Whitestar into a brick. :D
I updated my 2021 Limited to UF.20.28.70 over the weekend via USB stick and it only took 25 minutes in the car. I timed it. I guess if you start the process via WiFi from the car you need to take into account the download time, the time to verify the downloaded image (Cyclic Redundancy Check - CRC) and the installation process time. If you download the firmware to your computer and create the image on a USB stick with the Map Downloader it will save you time + gas and avoid download (disconnect) errors and file verification issues. Also keep in mind that the download and file verification process should be a lot faster given the processing power and network download speed of of a PC vs the 2.4Ghz WiFi and processing power of the HU in the car.

·
Registered
64 Posts
So, does anyone know yet if this is a firmware update, or just new maps?
This was my first update of a HU ever. But, what I can tell you is that the process was in done in 9 sections each with its own description and 1-100% progress bar. I noticed Section 8 "The Map Update" during the update as it was taking the longest time. I did not pay attention to the name of the other 8 sections as I was hosing the car during the update process. "Maybe" some of those other section had updates (patches) for the HU firmware.

·
Registered
64 Posts
One of the reasons that, I suspect, my update took almost the hour is that I had previously manually downloaded six different states worth of maps. I have done this through the navigation settings menu, while connected to a Wi-Fi. One of the things that I do for my job requires some travel, so I made sure to have maps downloaded For off-line use already. I’m wondering if the long update time, even while using a USB thumb drive, could be accounted for the system having to either compare and over right as needed, or slipstream the newer maps into the update that I was installing…
I guess this will depend on the deltas between the new and already installed maps. "Most" firmware updates compare CRCs of the new and existing images before over writing anything.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Doesn't make sense. The Rel_A2.20.40.20 NAFTA, USA Canada and Mexico_1056_7522_10469 is now in my Crosstrek with the most recent download and install.
Can you clarify the Year/Trim of the Crosstrek where you installed this version? What HU version and if you have a Navigation subscription + Harman Kardon sound system.

·
Registered
64 Posts
This version is for the '18 with nav (i.e. the Gen 3.0 HU with nav and HK) and it seems that subscriptions are good until August next year.
Interesting... I have a 2021 Crosstrek Limited with HU 3.1, Nav + HK, but I only get Rel_UF.20.28.70 available for download at subaru-maps.com and when I check via WiFi there's no update available.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I updated my 2021 Limited with the HK upgrade via USB to Rel_UA.20.41.70 yesterday. As others have mentioned, it appears to be a small update to the maps. It only took 20 minutes to complete from the moment I inserted the USB stick. The previous update, that I also installed via USB. took longer. After reading the Outback post link above, I noticed that the firmware version number for the releases installed by the dealer are different from the same release downloaded from subaru-maps.com. I assume the one installed via WiFi is the same version number as the one from subaru-maps.

A little off topic - I was hopping that the combination of this HU update with the recent update to Android Auto to version 5.9.604634 was going to solve the Android Auto night (dark) mode issue I'm experiencing. - Last night I drove under heavy rain and having Google Maps or Waze glaring fom the HU was annoying. Folks in the Android Auto community say that downgrading to Android Auto to 5.5 solves the night mode issue, but I have not tried it. The release notes from Android Auto 5.9 mentions that this release makes Android Auto night mode "independent" of Google Map/Waze, but I found no setting on GMaps/Waze via Android Auto on the HU to activate night mode. This is the first time that I've driven this car at night where I needed to use navigation. Is anyone out there getting automatic/manual dark mode with Android Auto with these most recent updates? In the 2021 Crosstrek Limited, does navigation require that the headlights be turned on for night mode to be engaged or is there a light sensor in the car that trigger night mode?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Apple Car Play won’t shift into “night mode.” Once I dropped the brightness setting by one increment it solved the problem.

I’m surprised that the update took you 20 min...
Did Car Play ever worked in night mode for anyone? - Never tried the native HU map navigation at night... does have it have night mode and if so, how is it enabled (light sensor/Headlights On) Will give the brightness setting a try next time.

I was surprised also - I timed it The full update (2:14PM to 2:35PM) The maps update section took 2 minutes (2:33PM to 2:35PM)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts