Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
Speaking of highway speeds, it seems like the Boxer likes to run higher RPMs than all the other inline four cylinder cars I have owned. Running 80ish MPH on the SoCal freeways tachs my engine at 3500 RPMs. I am used to only seeing about 3000 normally. Not a problem, just an observation.
That's interesting. Because of this post, I just checked my 2020 6MT going 80 MPH on a flat with no head or tail wind and the RPM's were right at 3100. Of course, you said "80ish" so perhaps you were going faster than 80. Mine has just under 6000 miles on it so maybe that is a factor (when compared to your brand new engine)?

Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
Mine has just under 6000 miles on it so maybe that is a factor (when compared to your brand new engine)?
Why would this make any difference. It an MT, so no slippage. The only way the rpms at a particular speed could be any different is if the gear ratios were different.

Premium Member
2020 Crosstrek Premium 6MT
Discussion Starter #23
Why would this make any difference. It an MT, so no slippage. The only way the rpms at a particular speed could be any different is if the gear ratios were different.
Or different tire sizes.

Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
Or different tire sizes.
This is true, though stock tire size on new 2020 Crosstreks are all 225/60 R17. Not sure if Subaru has used any different brands/models of tires on 2020 Crosstreks which could have a slightly different circumference. Probably too little to notice a difference in final drive rpm.

Registered
Hi there. As an owner of a 2018 Crosstrek with a MT, I really appreciate your views on this. Something that has always bothered me about so many reviews on this car is the complaint about being underpowered. Part of my commute has involved accelerating onto the highway uphill. And I have no problem overtaking traffic and passing on the left while getting up to speed. But so many professional reviews would throw it under the bus with scary stories of how underpowered it is. To the point that I was genuinely concerned with the power until I finally got some test drives under my belt. But after driving both MT and CVT version, I can attest that a lot of the complaints are a direct result of the CVT.

As noted the CVT is programmed for fuel economy and as such tends to hover around 2000 rpm all the time. One distinctive aspect of the engine I have noticed is the weird, S-shaped power curve. The car really jumps off the line in first, but just as quickly the power smoothes out. It's not a power loss, but acceleration definitely slows. Then, at right about 2500, the power noticeably jumps up. This is especially noticeable when accelerating in 2nd uphill. I often have to tell passengers that I did not do anything when they get knocked back.

Now, this is a guess on my part, but I think the engine is designed to use less power at cruising speed to save gas. And since the CVT tries to keep it at around 2000 for the same reason, less acceleration feel overall. Having test driving a CVT I can attest that the pick-and-go in it feels more sluggish than the MT. And since the power seems to climb steadily thereafter, this is definitely a high revving engine. And since this is designed for going off-road, having the good low-end torque makes a lot of sense. I don't consider it underpowered. I consider it low-powered.

I agree that the 5th and 6th gears feel really close together. But on a trip out west, I was on a highway that was up a steep hill and I started to lose power. I half-heartedly threw it into 5th, and suddenly I was climbing with the best of them. I don't know if some smart person in Japan thought this out or if it was just a coincidence, but it is appreciated.

Oh, and I LOVE Hill Assist. I live in a hilly area and even pulling out of my driveway has me pointed uphill. Usually, I would have to bring the clutch halfway up to hold the car. But now I just move my foot from the brake to the accelerator and drive away normally. That is such a spoiler. I am hooked.

My only real complaint is the lack of a god damned temperature gauge. Seriously, an idiot light does not tell me anything. How fast did it overheat? Can I see it starting to overheat? Is it cooling off right now? This is vital information that I have needed to know in the past. Instead, I got this f***ing dial that tells me if my current load is fuel economical. AARRGGGHH

But otherwise, I agree with your sentiments. I love the placement of the filter. And since I don't have a data plan, Starlink is just a radio for me. Though I was unhappy with the lack of a cd player at first, throwing my stuff onto a flash drive has been great. Now I can tell the car what to play without taking my eyes off the road.

The last thing I will mention is how much I and my passenger appreciate how comfortable the seats are. Go Subaru.

Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
Hi there. As an owner of a 2018 Crosstrek with a MT, I really appreciate your views on this. Something that has always bothered me about so many reviews on this car is the complaint about being underpowered. Part of my commute has involved accelerating onto the highway uphill. And I have no problem overtaking traffic and passing on the left while getting up to speed. But so many professional reviews would throw it under the bus with scary stories of how underpowered it is. To the point that I was genuinely concerned with the power until I finally got some test drives under my belt. But after driving both MT and CVT version, I can attest that a lot of the complaints are a direct result of the CVT.

As noted the CVT is programmed for fuel economy and as such tends to hover around 2000 rpm all the time. One distinctive aspect of the engine I have noticed is the weird, S-shaped power curve. The car really jumps off the line in first, but just as quickly the power smoothes out. It's not a power loss, but acceleration definitely slows. Then, at right about 2500, the power noticeably jumps up. This is especially noticeable when accelerating in 2nd uphill. I often have to tell passengers that I did not do anything when they get knocked back.

Now, this is a guess on my part, but I think the engine is designed to use less power at cruising speed to save gas. And since the CVT tries to keep it at around 2000 for the same reason, less acceleration feel overall. Having test driving a CVT I can attest that the pick-and-go in it feels more sluggish than the MT. And since the power seems to climb steadily thereafter, this is definitely a high revving engine. And since this is designed for going off-road, having the good low-end torque makes a lot of sense. I don't consider it underpowered. I consider it low-powered.

I agree that the 5th and 6th gears feel really close together. But on a trip out west, I was on a highway that was up a steep hill and I started to lose power. I half-heartedly threw it into 5th, and suddenly I was climbing with the best of them. I don't know if some smart person in Japan thought this out or if it was just a coincidence, but it is appreciated.

Oh, and I LOVE Hill Assist. I live in a hilly area and even pulling out of my driveway has me pointed uphill. Usually, I would have to bring the clutch halfway up to hold the car. But now I just move my foot from the brake to the accelerator and drive away normally. That is such a spoiler. I am hooked.

My only real complaint is the lack of a god damned temperature gauge. Seriously, an idiot light does not tell me anything. How fast did it overheat? Can I see it starting to overheat? Is it cooling off right now? This is vital information that I have needed to know in the past. Instead, I got this f***ing dial that tells me if my current load is fuel economical. AARRGGGHH

But otherwise, I agree with your sentiments. I love the placement of the filter. And since I don't have a data plan, Starlink is just a radio for me. Though I was unhappy with the lack of a cd player at first, throwing my stuff onto a flash drive has been great. Now I can tell the car what to play without taking my eyes off the road.

The last thing I will mention is how much I and my passenger appreciate how comfortable the seats are. Go Subaru.
I love this write up and it's our experience after almost three years...

I installed a Pedal Commander a while ago, initially to to improve the MPG but now it's used to make the car feel peppier... 馃樃

Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited

Agree with the complaint about no digital readout of coolant temp, I would certainly like to have one too. My Limited trim model does have the ability to show a coolant gauge- sort of a low-normal-high swept dial. And it also offers a digital readout of the 'oil' temperature- go figure.
The no CD player surprised me; then I saw that only the Premium and Limited trims get the CD player.
If I feel the need for a more peppy feel (almost never), I just press the 'sport' switch and it re-maps the accelerator pedal to bring the power on sooner and makes the CVT shift like an 8 speed automatic.

Registered
Hi guys, which package was you ordering? i have the norwegian (european??) highest package with sunroof and all the gimmicks in the 2020 eboxer. And this one have temperature as a line from blue to red and the oiltemperatur in numbers鈥. i am allways wondeirng when you write you dont have the temperature鈥. :oops:

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #30
I do not have the deluxe version of the dash that has the color digital gauges.

Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
I was just going off some other posts I鈥檝e read about the engine 鈥渓oosening up鈥 as it gets more miles on it - that鈥檚 all. I have no idea if it does.

Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
My only real complaint is the lack of a god damned temperature gauge. Seriously, an idiot light does not tell me anything. How fast did it overheat? Can I see it starting to overheat? Is it cooling off right now? This is vital information that I have needed to know in the past.
At least it is a two stage idiot light for overheat - blinking red for close to overheating and solid red for overheating...but I hear ya'.

Registered
@cbetts,

at least i recognice a oiltemperature shown? oiltemp in my eboxer was at 93 degrees already without problems, that was in the norwegian mountains. normal temperature is 70-80 if i am not mistaking now鈥 i drive almost all with cruise control set on speed limit. so the engine rpm is normally between 1200-1500 rpm. only going uphill or accelerating up to 3000-4500 (that just when i step manually, cruise control is on eco mode so keep the rpm little bit lower than i)

Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
At least it is a two stage idiot light for overheat - blinking red for close to overheating and solid red for overheating...but I hear ya'.
Yep. So you know when you're about to step off the cliff and then when you already stepped off the cliff, LOL!

I'll have to say one nice things they did with the idiot lights is the two stage oil level/pressure lights - one comes on if your level is low, the other when your pressure is low. Personally I would still prefer and oil pressure gauge, but those haven't come stock on cars since the early 1970's.

I was just going off some other posts I鈥檝e read about the engine 鈥渓oosening up鈥 as it gets more miles on it - that鈥檚 all. I have no idea if it does.
Loosening up?? Not sure what that is referring to, but it won't change engine rpm. :rolleyes:

Registered
2020 Premium 6MT

This is an excellent write-up, thank you!

No CD player? You must have the base model as my Premium MT has a CD player. Though to be truthful, I have never used the CD player as I have a portable MP3 player. And what a surprise that was when I plugged it in via the USB port - all the info on the player came up on my screen with the ability to select albums and songs using the touch screen! Mind you this is a 15 year old MP3 player!

Where in New England are you?

Reactions: cbetts and Gorli

Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
Loosening up?? Not sure what that is referring to, but it won't change engine rpm. :rolleyes:
Yeah, it really didn't make much sense to me either but I've read about it several times here and on other sites. I was just trying to come up with some ideas to maybe explain the discrepancy in RPM's at 80 MPH between the OP and my car (3500 vs. 3100 respectively). It's most likely due to other variables such as wind or the incline of the road. How about your 6MT - what RPM's are you seeing at 80 MPH?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #37
Yeah, it really didn't make much sense to me either but I've read about it several times here and on other sites. I was just trying to come up with some ideas to maybe explain the discrepancy in RPM's at 80 MPH between the OP and my car (3500 vs. 3100 respectively). It's most likely due to other variables such as wind or the incline of the road. How about your 6MT - what RPM's are you seeing at 80 MPH?
I need to take pics next time I get on the open road. I may be having a senior moment . . . .

Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
Not sure about 80 as I haven't pushed it that far yet. I've been more into seeing how good gas mileage I can get on trips. Yeah, I know I'm getting older, LOL! That's not to say I don't push speed limits, but I generally follow the 5-10 mph over the speed limit rule until I get to 75 where I just go the speed limit. At 75 mph, I'm right on 3000 rpm in 6th gear.

The only discrepancy I can think of that would change final drive rpm on an MT would be a difference in tire circumference or if one transmission had different gear ratios than another which I would believe if the cars were manufactured in different model years, but not the same production year. Not impossible, but unlikely.

Wind or road incline will make absolutely no difference in rpm on an MT because an MT has no slippage like an automatic does - unless your clutch is slipping which is highly unlikely on a new vehicle. On an MT, your engine can only turn at a particular speed based on where your drivetrain is - no more, no less.

Reactions: Gorli

Registered
No CD player? You must have the base model as my Premium MT has a CD player. Though to be truthful, I have never used the CD player as I have a portable MP3 player. And what a surprise that was when I plugged it in via the USB port - all the info on the player came up on my screen with the ability to select albums and songs using the touch screen! Mind you this is a 15 year old MP3 player!
Actualy, I have the Premium. But...the 2018 was the ONLY year without a cd player. They added it back to the 2019 due to complaints. 2019 was also when they added satalite raido to the premium. Which would get rid of the tangle of wires for my current setup. So, lucky me.

Oh, and to answer your question, southern NE.

And to address some comments about the the idots light, I do have a rason for my...bithiness on the subject. Years ago I was driving my old 2000 Outback in Boston, when the car overheated. Rather quickly. But by watching how fast it heated and equaly suddenly cooled down I was able to tell that it was probaly an air bubble in the system After limping her home it turns out I was right. While the blinky (your over heating) to solid (yur ded) is appreciated, having compleate information will help me make proper descision instaed of just pulling over and calling for help.

Registered
Today the only thing we shall do is to pull over and call for help鈥 they want make money鈥 and somehow are all the systems that complex that normal people should not work on it... :confused:

21 - 40 of 40 Posts