Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Crosstrek Premium 6MT
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently hit the one thousand mile mark on my 2020 Crosstrek Premium 6MT. I have been happy with this car to say the least. Here is a list of things I have noticed about the car:
  • The Crosstrek is not as under-powered as many people believe. Matter of fact, I am finding it to be quite peppy in the city. No, it is not an M edition BMW but it does about the same as my old Kia Soul with the larger 2.0L engine. I am quite happy with my ability to zip around town.
  • The gear ratios on the 6MT are not like most cars. I find first gear to be quite low for the city. When performing rapid acceleration, I am finding myself throwing it into second right about the time I have fully let off the clutch. However, I have plans on taking this beast off road so the lower gear is quite welcome. Sixth gear is barely any different from fifth. I haven't taken the car into the mountains yet but I can see fifth coming into play on those long 6% grade runs while keeping highway speeds.
  • Speaking of highway speeds, it seems like the Boxer likes to run higher RPMs than all the other inline four cylinder cars I have owned. Running 80ish MPH on the SoCal freeways tachs my engine at 3500 RPMs. I am used to only seeing about 3000 normally. Not a problem, just an observation.
  • The hill assist took me some time to appreciate. I found myself stalling the car when first taking-off up a hill due to a combination of hill assist and quiet exhaust. I figured out a way to always get the assist to activate and now wait a second after releasing the brake to start letting out the clutch. I also have a Nameless exhaust that I will be putting on tomorrow to deal with the quiet problem.
  • The manual shifter is sloppy. From what I have read, this is normal with the cable design in all Subarus. Luckily, I also have a Kartman short throw kit and the fist gate limiter to fix the design flaw. That will also get installed tomorrow.
  • The throttle pedal sits about an inch closer to the floor than the brake. This is perfect for those of us that operate the brake and throttle with one foot while off roading. I learned this technique while driving a big rig on mountain roads. I also used this trick quite heavily while rock crawling in my Hummer H3 (yes, the Hummer had a manual transmission available!).
  • StarLink . . . . . bleh. I could never get the Star Link infrastructure to work right. It took too much attention away from the road to operate. Fortunately, I have an Samsung S10 and loaded Android Auto. Google got everything right. Occasionally my radio gets glitched and the volume locks. I can turn the knob and see feedback on the screen with the volume number going up and down but with no actual volume change. Unplugging the phone and reconnecting fixes the issue immediately. Also, if the radio is off and I stall the engine, the radio will come back on on restart. I believe my driving ability improving will remedy the issue but it is still annoying that it forgets that it was off. The main feature I like about the radio is the volume knob. I can reach for it without looking away from the road. I had several radios in the past with touchscreen controls only. I am not a fan.
  • I really miss having gauges. I didn't realize what I was missing until I sat in a coworkers Limited model. I wish there were more options available with the manual transmission. I found a great place to mount a ScanGauge II and got most of the feedback I wanted. I would still like to see the oil pressure but apparently it is not available on the CAN bus on the OBDII port.
  • Oil filter on TOP! The is a awesome, especially with all the burns I have had on the back of my hand from doing oil changes on Hondas. Why did engineers put the filter behind the exhaust manifold and directly above the steering rack where oil drips right on the tie rod boot? Thank you Subaru!
I look forward to hearing your opinions.

·
Registered
498 Posts
[*]Speaking of highway speeds, it seems like the Boxer likes to run higher RPMs than all the other inline four cylinder cars I have owned. Running 80ish MPH on the SoCal freeways tachs my engine at 3500 RPMs. I am used to only seeing about 3000 normally. Not a problem, just an observation.
[
This is the main difference with cvt, we barely hit 2k rpm for this speed

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
3600 rpm at this speed is absurd. Agree that the 2.0 is not slow. I would guess the CVT will be quicker overall than manual. It shifts shifts first about 47 mph at 6K rpm. RPM's drop to about 5100 rpm and it just keeps doing that in subsequent shifts. You need to keep this engine at 5000+rpm. Thats where it is happy making power. And this is from someone (me) who also has the Forester XT.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
3600 rpm at this speed is absurd. Agree that the 2.0 is not slow. I would guess the CVT will be quicker overall than manual. It shifts shifts first about 47 mph at 6K rpm. RPM's drop to about 5100 rpm and it just keeps doing that in subsequent shifts. You need to keep this engine at 5000+rpm. Thats where it is happy making power. And this is from someone (me) who also has the Forester XT.
Yeah, taking me some time to get used to the high torque curve. I had a 2004 Pontiac Vibe GT with the Toyota 2ZZ motor that didn't build up power until around 7000 RPM (redline was 8200!). It seems wrong sometimes to push an engine like that.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium; 2010 LGT stage 2+
340 Posts
Idk that doesn't sound that absurd to me. My 1zz 5 speed was at 4k rpm at 80mph. It's just a different design for the power/torque curve. Truck engines tend to go the opposite way and have low redlines and shift lower in the rpm range.

·
Registered
681 Posts
"Speaking of highway speeds, it seems like the Boxer likes to run higher RPMs than all the other inline four cylinder cars I have owned. Running 80ish MPH on the SoCal freeways tachs my engine at 3500 RPMs. I am used to only seeing about 3000 normally. Not a problem, just an observation."

that's one reason the 6-speed doesn't get the same gas mileage as the CVT.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Yeah, taking me some time to get used to the high torque curve. I had a 2004 Pontiac Vibe GT with the Toyota 2ZZ motor that didn't build up power until around 7000 RPM (redline was 8200!). It seems wrong sometimes to push an engine like that.
I have now like 13,000. I redline it every day since it had 100 miles on it. Uses no oil. Don't be afraid to get on it...It has a RL limiter.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I threw in a Kartboy shortstroke shifter. The shifter now feels tight. If nothing else, I recommend at least the shift cable bushing and shifter block. These two alone will take most of the slop out of the shifter. The Nameless exhaust is also awesome! Loud enough to be heard with no droning in the cockpit. It can be a little obnoxious when first firing it off early in the morning with the high-idle mode engages but my neighbors have not complained about it . . . . . yet.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have now like 13,000. I redline it every day since it had 100 miles on it. Uses no oil. Don't be afraid to get on it...It has a RL limiter.
Keep doing this and you won’t be enjoying your Crosstrek well into it’s advanced years, at least not without dropping some money. Sure, it can handle it, but it’s not made to be abused this way everyday.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why do car manufactures insist on putting shiny parts on the dash? Had the sun reflect off the radio bezel and distracted me a bit while driving. Time to find some kind of overlay.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Do you have these darker windshields over the sidewindows? i can only recommend this stuff, it helps with rain and sunlight… i would allways order this extra again. And yes i can imagine, if the sun is low and from right angle... not funny.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you have these darker windshields over the sidewindows? i can only recommend this stuff, it helps with rain and sunlight… i would allways order this extra again. And yes i can imagine, if the sun is low and from right angle... not funny.
If I lived in the desert, I would consider it. I normally drive with the windows open.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If I lived in the desert, I would consider it. I normally drive with the windows open.
I live in Norway and i took it because i can have the sidewindows open a little bit without getting water inside. And the darker plastic give a little bit extra sunprotection too. Thats what i meant.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
520 Posts
13,000 isn't a lot of miles. Continue redlining it every day and watch the engine problems start at around 50K. Cars don't get to 200K driving them like this.

Reactions: BADATE2D

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
520 Posts
Hey Cbetts,

I too have a 2020 6MT Premium which I bought in March and now have 2200 miles on. I will comment on your observations below

I too have no issues with the "lack of power" many complain about. Granted I am 57 and have driven underpowered cars like a 4000+lb 1989 Nissan Pathfinder V6 with 142 hp (a real slug!) as well as a few 2500 lb 100 hp cars of the 1980's. I have also had two Outbacks - a 97 and an 09. The 2020 Crosstrek feels about on par with the 97 and peppier than the 09. It's definitely not on par with my 2500 lb 98 Acura Integra GSR with 170 hp, but that's a car with a different purpose. Verdict on the 2.0L Crosstrek's power - it's not a rocket, but it's no slug either.

Gear ratios - My complaint about the 09 Outback was that 1st gear seemed too high and combined with the low clutch pedal engagement in that car, it was quite easy to stall. I like the lower 1st gear in the Crosstrek and the higher clutch pedal engagement. As far as 6th gear, I only use it on the highway when travelling at 65 or faster. If the road is very flat, I may use 6th sooner than that. If very hilly, I may just keep it in 5th. I can't say I find the final rpm high. It runs around 3000 rpm in 6th at 75 mph. My 09 Outback ran 3100 in 5th, my 97 Outback ran 3300 in 5th, my 98 Integra runs around 3500 - all 5-speeds. I doubt you could maintain a highway speed without lugging if the final gearing were any lower in the Crosstrek.

Hill assist - It was a freaky disturbing feeling at first and felt like a disconnect with the car. Sort of like a surreal dream state. I didn't like it at first and was seriously considering turning it off. However, I am now used to the feel and it is very convenient if starting on a steep grade with loose gravel! So I have learned to appreciate this. Maybe the purist in me was what first rejected the technology, but I suppose 1950's driving purists rejected the idea of syncromesh too. ;) I'm not old enough to have ever driven a car without syncromesh.

Sloppy shifter - I wouldn't call it sloppy, but it does have a longer throw than any of my other cars. Noisier too. Ever drive a 1980's or earlier American car with a manual tranny? THAT is what sloppy feels like! Or maybe you are describing the more "buttery" feel as opposed to a crisp feel going into the gears?

Gauges - I agree! Especially I miss a temperature gauge which every car I've ever owned before this one had. The blue and red idiot lights don't cut it. By the time that light turns red, you're already on your way to cooking the engine. Dare I say the only car I've ever owned with an issue regarding cooling is a 1985 Dodge when the thermostat stuck closed. I presume the temperature gauge was eliminated so they could put in that instantaneous fuel consumption gauge. Idiot lights take up less space than gauges.

Oil filter on top - A great idea for sure! Although I rarely do my own oil changes anymore.

Reactions: Gorli and cbetts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Temperature gauge can i activate in the center screen on the dashboard. its the one with your favorites. (dont know how to describe it else, have the stuff in norwegian language…) Have water temperature, oiltemperature and in the last time speedlimit. (because there was nothing else usefull for the moment…)

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Temperature gauge can i activate in the center screen on the dashboard. its the one with your favorites. (dont know how to describe it else, have the stuff in norwegian language…) Have water temperature, oiltemperature and in the last time speedlimit. (because there was nothing else usefull for the moment…)
I don't have the color screens so I am stuck using the ScanGauge for auxiliary gauges.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts