Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter hasn't been driving her Fozzie since the COVID self isolation/study from home began. Of course the battery drained and she had to buy a new one a few weeks ago. I kept reminding her turn it over, take it for a run etc in case it's an alternator issue. Fast forward to two nights ago.

"My battery is dead".
It's late, and cold and dark and I have to head out to work in the XV early in the morning but her dad will be home. I let her know there's jumper leads in the wheel/wet well in the back of the Honda and because the cars are parked in the drive way nose to tail, the jumpers won't reach. Ask Dad to back the Honda out and park it at a right angle with the engine facing the driveway so when she backs her car down they'll be close enough to 'jump'.
"What if it doesn't work?" she says. "Then call the battery service."

Almost 10 hours later after a gruelling day at work I get home and the bottom of our drive is blocked by the 2 cars.
Before I can bring all my work gear in ...
"The jumper leads weren't in the Honda"
"Didn't you check for the leads first?"
"No, because you said they'd be there."
I shoot a glance at her father. He rolls his eyes and responds ...
"She says you're always right."

SIDE NOTE: At least they looked up Youtube and found out about the secret button beside the auto shifter to roll the car down the drive first. "It's good" my husband says brightly "because it'll work the same way in the XV."
Meanwhile the jumper leads are still MIA and the screw driver from my tool box used for the gear shift fix is still in my daughter's Forester. I'm too tired 馃惃

Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
Sorry...

We have one of these in each car after having a battery die up in the mountains one very cold night:

Reactions: SubieSubieDo

Registered
Kids...what are you going to do. We also carry a power station in each Xtrek. Not for us but much easier if someone else needs a jump. Especially on a snowy highway in winter. No fussing with cables.

Registered
Kids...what are you going to do. We also carry a power station in each Xtrek. Not for us but much easier if someone else needs a jump. Especially on a snowy highway in winter. No fussing with cables.
Yep, we've helped more other people than ourselves...

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for your interest. I meant it as an amusing comedy of errors not so much a pity party.
Absolutely yes! I've been wanting to buy a jump box because they've come down dramatically in price and it's always great to be in a position to help others too. Meanwhile, my dearly beloved thought he'd give me a break.

We're now the proud owners of a new set of jumper leads !!!
And he says "They're even better because they have lights so you can see what you're doing at night too."
Anyway, it's wine time now. Yay! 馃惃

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
You don't necessarily need another car / battery to charge it. Seems magical. Never seen one in action though.
Yes. There's a mobile mechanic in our area that rescued me once in our old car. It was truly magical even if it hadn't been a cold wet night. It was a very new bit of very expensive kit back then and you could tell he was really chuffed to have it. I just never realised that's what it was.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
So the Offspring finally checked the Fozzie again. Click, click, click .... .... ....Click, click, click .... .... click, click .... click
I really want to buy a jump box but I'm still ostracized on the cat perch for ordering the Maxpider floor mats. 馃惃

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
The saga continues ...
So HWSBO drove the Honda to work in yesterday's heavy rain. He left the lights on and the new battery I picked up and installed for him last month (and has since also jump started the Offspring's Forester) said enough is enough already.
So I met him after work in the XV to give him a boost with those lovely new jumper cables ("with lights"). The battery refused to play. Getting soaked and tired and cranky we agreed I'll drop him off to work try again this morning.
Guess who just walked into the room with a cup of coffee in hand and said "I've been thinking we should get one of those starter boxes." Thanks Coronavirus. What I said. 馃惃

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
You have self control. I probably would have said something I would have regretted. (What's wrong with the Maxpider liners?)
Oh believe me, my tongue has many holes in it :LOL:
Absolutely nothing wrong with the Maxpider mats ASFIK - just I've been barred from buying stuff for the XV.
It all began with those snazzy, colour coordinated coasters many of us buy from Amazon ...

Registered
Oh believe me, my tongue has many holes in it :LOL:
Absolutely nothing wrong with the Maxpider mats ASFIK - just I've been barred from buying stuff for the XV.
It all began with those snazzy, colour coordinated coasters many of us buy from Amazon ...
Well, there you go, coasters with orange stitching? You should have saved up for something worthwhile like a jumper... 馃樃

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Well, there you go, coasters with orange stitching? You should have saved up for something worthwhile like a jumper... 馃樃
LOL IKR ??? A NOCO GB40 is mysteriously going to arrive via post in the next week or 2. I'll be sleeping on the Offspring's dog's bed for sure then. At which point I may as well order the Yakima Whispbars as well 馃榿

Registered
LOL IKR ??? A NOCO GB40 is mysteriously going to arrive via post in the next week or 2. I'll be sleeping on the Offspring's dog's bed for sure then. At which point I may as well order the Yakima Whispbars as well 馃榿
Clever... sneak them into another order... 馃樃

We're both techies so not much gets past either of us. My ex would buy three outfits in different colors because she couldn't decide, and swear that she'd return the ones she didn't like, then I'd find them in her closet years later with the tags still on... :rolleyes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts