Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a manual tranmission in my car. This car only has a bit over 300 miles on it, all put on by me and the person I share the car with. The car is stalling or near stalling in the first two gears. I've had manual trans cars in the past and never had this kind of problem. Does anyone know why this is happening? Is there some adjustment that can be done to it? It's so frustrating and it's only getting 19mpg probably because I have to give it high rpm every time I want to start from a stop. I don't see how I'm going to be able to drive this car in winter under this condition, or to tow a small trailer like I wanted. The car can't even get itself going with just 1 or 2 people in the car. Not happy. Advice welcomed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
6MT here also. I have not experienced the problem you report, but I find that I have to goose the throttle a bit to take off without stalling. It seems that the idle speed is really low, and the engine has so little torque down there. Just my experience.
BTW, if you have not already done so, I recommend you do the rev hang delete offered by Mike at RalliSport. Awesome improvement in 6MT drivability.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would a tune like that affect the warranty if you needed it? Would they be able to tell you did that? I really hate driving this car and would like to make it more pleasurable to drive if at all possible but also don't want to affect the warranty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, I think they could deny warranty coverage if they have a plausible connection between the tune and the engine problem. I think it's very unlikely that the tune could actually damage the engine, but proving that would be difficult.

But, Mike gives you the tune, and a copy of your original software. So, if you need to bring it in for service, you could remove the tune from RalliSport, restoring your original configuration. After the dealer service, you could re-install the Rallisport tune. It's kind of a PITA, but it's a workaround.

All of that being said, Subaru may be able to tell that the ECU has been flashed. I don't know.

BTW, I get 32 mpg if I drive in my normal style, and almost 34 mpg if I am super-gentle with the throttle, coast down every hill, and anticipate stops.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
7,109 Posts
BTW, I get 32 mpg if I drive in my normal style, and almost 34 mpg if I am super-gentle with the throttle, coast down every hill, and anticipate stops.
Calculated, or what the car claims?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry, I should have been more clear... that's the "car claim" value. I have been meaning to cross-check it with a calculation.

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Sorry, I should have been more clear... that's the "car claim" value. I have been meaning to cross-check it with a calculation.
Most of us have noticed that the car overreports by up to 15%...

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Dup...

·
Registered
13 Posts
@ianm @AstroKats
Well, I checked it, and my actual mileage does not match the value from the car. I was careful to reset things before the test fill up. Here are the results:

Miles driven: 351.9
Gallons at fill up: 11.912

Calculated MPG = 29.54 mpg
Indicated MPG = 33.7 mpg

My car computer gives a 14% overestimate of MPG. Bogus!

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
That’s about average, just as AK said. Mine has a difference of 13.5%.

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
I've given up tracking it. The worst was about 15% better but usually about 12% or so.

The fact that no one has reported that it's worse than the actual leads me to believe that its intentional, to falsely present to consumers that the car is getting better fuel economy than it actually is...

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Good morning, AK. Must be a really late night or very early morning.

Given the recent issues at Subaru Corp, I wouldn’t be too surprised but I remember someone mentioning that it uses the mass airflow sensor to make the calculation. That would only give a rough estimate but it would be heavily affected by how one uses the throttle.

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
LOL, yes, late night.

We've had some discussions about this before. If it were just an inability to get a more accurate reading, I would expect more distribution of the variance, with some owners saying it over reports and some saying it under reports. Or different variances between tanks of gas. It's very suspicious that everyone who has tracked it finds that it reports 12-15% better than it actually is.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Throwing out the welcome mat for you from Gettysburg.Penna!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
You will find that most (if not all) manufacturer’s fuel economy gauges report higher than actual, I am assuming this is so they don’t get complaints about low fuel economy from the vast majority of people who just look at the gauge and never calculate the mileage.

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
You will find that most (if not all) manufacturer’s fuel economy gauges report higher than actual, I am assuming this is so they don’t get complaints about low fuel economy from the vast majority of people who just look at the gauge and never calculate the mileage.
If it is intentional, for whatever reason, I'm surprised they're allowed to get away with it. As you say, the vast majority of people don't calculate their mileage and are being misled. An analogy is misleading price comparisons in retail and there are heavy penalties for that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Didn’t say it was right, but they also used to ( maybe still do) make the gas gauge drop slower when the tank was full to give the impression that you weren’t using fuel as quickly in some cars. I agree it should be closer to the actual mileage (and I have had at least one car that was pretty close). I would think with 5% would be more acceptable, but most seem to be around the 15% mark for some reason.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts