Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Heeeeerrrrreeeeee's Johnnnyyyy! (movie reference anyone?)

Ok well, this is at least my new obsession. I don't have a name. Never been one to name cars.. any suggestions? :icon_lol:

Picked the car up last night, and have already started with a couple basic, simple things...

5/8/19 Installed: Previously used Plate Pocket by BumpTek (front license plate frame).
I've got to take it off again and clean it up a bit but you get the idea. I'm going to look at the OEM Subaru frame and see if it can be used also. Surprised the frame wasn't on the car. Guess that would have been an extra charge.

5/8/19 Installed: Husky WeatherBeater 99661 front/rear floor mat set.
* The rear mat does not fit very well. This will most likely be changing when I find something else.

5/8/19 Installed: Rokblokz (short version, black on black). I didn't fully do the rear ones since it's suggested to remove the wheel to drill a pilot hole to screw one of the screws in, it seems good enough for now with just the two main screws holding it.

Going to have to add a little black paint to those screws. Rokblokz really needs to include black screws.

5/8/19 Installed: OEM roof bars, thanks again bill38jeep!

5/9/19 Installed: SunTek Ultra paint protection film. Full bumper, full hood, full fenders, side mirrors.

I was originally planning on going with X-PEL film, and only a partial wrap, but circumstances lead me to choosing a different product which also ended up being a fuller coverage. The shop where I had the work done did a great job and I'm extremely pleased with the results. It's only the first day but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend these guys to anyone in my area. Very knowledgeable and experienced.

This is the first time I've used film so I'll be interested in seeing how well it holds up through the seasons and if any rock chips or problems with the film develop. My previous vehicle, only a year and a half old, was extremely pitted on the front bumper from rocks. It was disappointing to see so much after such a short time of ownership.

5/10/19 Installed: A couple small "easter eggs". Nothing major. Rainy day.

Door lock covers, seat belt covers (for comfort of course), valve stem caps, rear license plate frame. I was looking forward to the frame, it's all silicone and the entire back of the plate is insulated from touching the paint, but not sure how I feel about it now that it's on.

5/11/19 Installed: A few things today..

OEM trunk protector, OEM vent visors, and emblem overlays and front grill black trim pieces from JDMFV.

5/16/19 Installed: Some rear quarter window bling from JDMFV, Lamin-X yellow fog light film, and a 3rd brake light flasher.

5/17/19 Installed: Map / Dome / Cargo LED lights. An unplanned glove box LED light mod (not mounted yet in the picture), and the Arkon SM488L22 seat rail phone mount. It almost couldn't fit any better with the Husky floor mat right there.

Wasn't sure about the phone mount but it seems to be good. It is at the end of a 22" extension so while driving I'm going to see how much the phone moves around and if it's bothersome. I'm not an avid texting while driving person so this was more to have the phone in an accessible place rather than just on the seat or in the cubby or something if I'm playing music or whatever.

5/19/19 Installed: Got my Lamin-X door cup protectors in place. Easy enough, I'm ready to try an entire car now! (lol) Installed 29mm Festoon vanity mirror LEDs.

5/24/19 Installed: Custom trunk light LEDs

OPT7 Fluxbeam CORE v.2 H11 LED Fog Lights Bulbs with FX-7500 CREE Chip Plug-N-Play Conversion Kit - 6,000LM 6000K Cool White

·
Registered
2020 Pure Red Crosstrek 6-spd, 2019 DGM Crosstrek 6-spd
239 Posts
Heeeeerrrrreeeeee's Johnnnyyyy! (movie reference anyone?)

Ok well, this is at least my new obsession. I don't have a name. Never been one to name cars.. any suggestions? :icon_lol:

Picked the car up last night, and have already started with a couple basic, simple things...

Installed: Previously used Plate Pocket by BumpTek (front license plate frame).
I've got to take it off again and clean it up a bit but you get the idea. I'm going to look at the OEM Subaru frame and see if it can be used also. Surprised the frame wasn't on the car. Guess that would have been an extra charge.

Installed: Husky WeatherBeater 99661 front/rear floor mat set.
* The rear mat does not fit very well. This will most likely be changing when I find something else.

Installed: Rokblokz (short version, black on black). I didn't fully do the rear ones since it's suggested to remove the wheel to drill a pilot hole to screw one of the screws in, it seems good enough for now with just the two main screws holding it.

Going to have to add a little black paint to those screws. Rokblokz really needs to include black screws.

Installed: OEM roof bars, thanks again bill38jeep!

PLANNED

I have a number of things I have sitting here in boxes waiting to go. I won't pollute my thread right now by listing them, but I'll update as I do them.

I know you’re referencing the Jack Nicholson quote, but give some credit to Ed McMahon......that’s the phrase he introduced Johnny Carson with every night for over 30 years.

Jake

·
Registered
6 Posts
Saw your audio thread and dropping in to say hello as a fellow MA CGK'er. I at this point do have a powered JL Sub in the trunk that takes up minimal space (its an ACP110 fyi). If you do end up going the powered amp route, I would recommend selling it all, and buying an Audiocontrol that has DSP integrated (d-series). I will do it eventually, but for now, I take the commuter rail, and wouldn't get to enjoy it :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Saw your audio thread and dropping in to say hello as a fellow MA CGK'er. I at this point do have a powered JL Sub in the trunk that takes up minimal space (its an ACP110 fyi). If you do end up going the powered amp route, I would recommend selling it all, and buying an Audiocontrol that has DSP integrated (d-series). I will do it eventually, but for now, I take the commuter rail, and wouldn't get to enjoy it :)
Yoo!! Yes I wish I had bought the AudioControl in the first place for my old car... now I want it (again). I've been having a hard time lately selling stuff on ebay, so I'm not sure which way I will go. It will depend on what kind of sub I go for... maybe I'll just keep my existing stuff.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't see an edit button to update the original thread.. am I missing it? Hate this new forum software. My participation here is dwindling just because of the **** software. Good for you guys though as generally I'm not going to be "PC" when replying to stupid posts. I won't be missed. ?

Installed 7/27/2019
Over the weekend I got my AudioControl LC-6.1200 installed. Used https://www.autoharnesshouse.com/ wiring harness and 9 conductor speed wire for the install, 4awg wiring (overkill, 8 would of been fine for what I'm running). I'm not overly impressed, as usual. Waste of money here. Still need to tune it a bit but it was a project for no meaningful results.

However, I succeeded in what I set out to do......... the LC-6.1200 is mounted........ or positioned....... under the passenger seat.

Originally I was thinking of some kind of contraption that was dual-level (floor base + amp tray) with sliding drawer hinges so I could slide the amp out for adjustments.... I decided that was too much work and looked to simplify it.

I ended up getting a monitor stand that fit perfectly between the seat rails.. I can pull the whole thing out and make adjustments. The listed size is 14.6 x 9.3 x 3.6 inches

This is what I used Monitor Stand Riser - 3 Height Adjustable Monitor Stand for Laptop, Computer, iMac, PC, Printer, Desktop Ergonomic Metal Monitor Riser Stand with Mesh Platform for Airflow by HUANUO https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H4DMLVH/

I removed the outer height-adjusting legs and then cut the inner legs in half.. and it fits perfectly beneath the seat with the amp mounted on top. I used one existing hole and drilled out the other three to mount the amp with some machine screws and nuts. It's perfect because the extra lengths of wiring can just sit beneath it. Also had ordered the vent extensions from my local parts department, if needed.

The 4 awg power wire was run through the hood release cable grommet. I popped out the rubber grommet to get it going... now that I think of it, I forgot to see if the grommet can be reinstalled. Probably can't. It was still a tight fit. I had Techflex on my power wire and pulling it through scraped the entire length of wire.

I had to loosen the wheel well splash guard to feed the wire through.. it was a tad bit difficult to get access to that hole using the wire worm (https://www.crutchfield.com/S-yM8AALDP2fD/p_042DM4533/Pro-Fit-Wire-Worm.html) since the hole comes through between the fender and some interior piece of metal...... just a real PITA to get access... didn't feel like ripping apart the main wiring boot by the brake booster so this was my solution.

So anyways, that's installed. To recap the LC-6.1200 is running Kicker 44KSC3504 3-1/2" tweeters and Kicker 43DSC69304 6"x9" on channel 1+2 (front), Kicker 43DSC6504 6-1/2" on channel 3+4 (rear), and a Pioneer TS-SWX2502 10" sub bridged on channels 5+6. Not the best system. I need to learn to stop doing audio upgrades for no reason.

Installed 7/29/2019: Rear seat back protectors.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey @JustSubn ,

Awesome mods you've done to the Crosstrek. I just got a 2020 Limited in the same color as yours. The wife and I are loving it. Seeing all the mods you've doing to yours gets me excited for the mods to come with mine.

I had a question, you installed a 3rd brake light flasher? I really wanted to do this to the Crosstrek but came down to the conclusion that the only way to do it is to wore a resistor and a module into the third brake light and that would void warranty. Did you find a way around that?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I don't see an edit button to update the original thread.. am I missing it?
Re EDIT, look for the 3 dots arranged vertically and immediately to top right of your post and click on it to bring up the edit option. It's usually the Site Navigation icon but I've found on my own posts it works this way.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey @JustSubn ,

Awesome mods you've done to the Crosstrek. I just got a 2020 Limited in the same color as yours. The wife and I are loving it. Seeing all the mods you've doing to yours gets me excited for the mods to come with mine.

I had a question, you installed a 3rd brake light flasher? I really wanted to do this to the Crosstrek but came down to the conclusion that the only way to do it is to wore a resistor and a module into the third brake light and that would void warranty. Did you find a way around that?

Yeah you've got to splice your third brake light harness... the only way it could void your warranty is if somehow a problem was caused by that modification. They certainly wouldn't try to say your engine is no longer under warranty because you modified your third brake light.

This is the flasher I used Universal Brake Light Flasher/Strober - S1 model [unvbrkflshr_S1] - $16.95 : 3rd Brake Flasher Web Site

There are possibly other types that might be less invasive than cutting wires but more expensive too... not really sure. I only cut one wire and tapped the ground wire. Pretty easy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts