Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in my pursuit of ultimate paint protection... what's everyone's thoughts on using mud flaps on the front side of the rear wheel well? I don't even know if there's any way to attach something there, but if there were, would you? Do you think it would look "dumb"?

Why would you want to do that, you ask?

Think of your rotating tire while you drive.......... sure the rear mud flap protects whatever is behind you, that's great... but stuff is rotating off the tire towards the front the car... all down the lower rear door panel........ maybe that's why the guy that did my XPEL on my wife's new car said sometimes he does a strip on the rear door.

A mud flap there would go a long way for protecting that area.

I've already got my RokBlokz ready to go for when I pick up my Crosstrek tomorrow, but I'm thinking it's not enough!

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I've wondered the same. Everything flings off the tire to the front before it goes up and over to the rear. Makes perfect sense to me, Though I have never seen them.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,020 Posts
Unless you are going to replace the stock tires with wider rubber, I think that the wheel well is going to catch 90% of what does not fly off to the rear. Go play in the snow or mud and see how much accumulates in front of the rear wheel before you go installing mud flaps there.

BTW, my 2010 Forester came from the factory with an XPEL-like protector on the lower rear corner of the rear doors. I assumed that was to protect that area from rocks thrown from the front tires that the skinny OEM front mud guards didn't catch, not from the rear tires throwing something forward.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts