Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Seems like lots of balls are being dropped globally and locally for all kinds of goods and services.
With any luck we will have "Trabant wait times" to get a new vehicle in the near future. (/S)

·
Super-Duper Moderator
1,408 Posts
The size of the EA oil filter is mond boggling knowing how small in displacement this engines were.

·
Registered
Bone stock 2015
17 Posts
My wife has a 1962 Studebaker which was the first year that oil filters became standard equipment for that brand. She used to have a 1961 that had no oil filter, some vehicles even came with filters that would only partially filter the oil. I suppose an oil filter element can’t be too dense or else the oil won’t flow. Funny stuff.

·
Butchin' Moderator
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,631 Posts
"Purolater" comes from "Pure Oil Later." The weirdest was what appeared to be a a homemade aftermarket MJB coffee cans full of a fresh roll of toilet paper. I doubt using an aftermarket oil filter will prevent earth from continuing to turn (well, rotate actually.) Not changing your oil because you don't have the exact right filter might contribute to your engine refusing to rotate though. Thinking back to the stuff we put in our crankcases, includes gobs of stuff called STP, it was a miracle our engines worked at all.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Premium 6MT
6 Posts
That's funny ... Autozone has both the short and long blue OEM Subaru filters in stock. Maybe Autozone has more buying power than Subaru. LOL

I bought a 15208AA15A filter at my local Autozone last week for $10.99. Apparently they've been carrying them for quite a while, although they couldn't remember how long.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Outdoor - "Trekov"
267 Posts
I have no clu what all the fuss is about. Buy an aftermarket filter.
For some reason, people here seem to love to obsess about OIL and oil filters.
No worse than the fussing/obsessing about Auto Stop/Start, Apple CarPlay, tires, lift kits, aftermarket LED lighting or all-weather floor mats. And other folks are obsessed about keep-everything-OEM or with dirt-cheapest "gud-e-nuff".

So?

Reactions: Arthur

·
Butchin' Moderator
1,631 Posts
It just occurred to me that perhaps a reason for the small volume of the Subaru oil filter is that it is vertical and some oil tends to drain when the engine is shut off. Ask anyone and you will find that "bigger is not always better." Perhaps the small volume of the present Subaru oil filter is simply recognizing that it is quickly and easily filled as the engine starts up. I dunno. Can't believe I came to this forum four years ago and found that (by my estimate) 25% of the posts seem to revolve around oil/filters. I've learned a lot though.:popcorn:

·
Registered
21 Sport
2,429 Posts
It just occurred to me that perhaps a reason for the small volume of the Subaru oil filter is that it is vertical and some oil tends to drain when the engine is shut off. Ask anyone and you will find that "bigger is not always better." Perhaps the small volume of the present Subaru oil filter is simply recognizing that it is quickly and easily filled as the engine starts up. I dunno. Can't believe I came to this forum four years ago and found that (by my estimate) 25% of the posts seem to revolve around oil/filters. I've learned a lot though.:popcorn:
you may have just stumbled upon a "profound revelation"

·
Butchin' Moderator
1,631 Posts
you may have just stumbled upon a "profound revelation"
Operative word here: "stumbled." I had a Mazda knock off Ford once with a tiny filter that hung properly like a bat from the bottom of engine, but don't know if that adds to the discussion. One presumes that while smaller the filter is completely able, when changed at proper intervals, to maintain the engine.

·
Registered
2015 XV Crosstrek Premium CVT, 2019 Impreza Sport MT, 2001 Forester S 4EAT, 2013 Outback Premium CVT
333 Posts
Seeing he mentioned WIX. Apparently, some WIX filters are now being made in China.
I saw that too. Very interested since that's what I've been using on all my subaru's for a while now. But if you look at the video, they seem the same after he opens them up. I was happy to see that.

Also, I have to say. Since I work for a manufacturing facility. The global supply shortage is a real big deal, everywhere. Raw materials are hard to get and also hard to transport. It is not just Subaru but world wide.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts