Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Was curious if anyone has ever done this before. I've looked and have yet to find, so if anyone has links to examples they can provide that would be great.

First of, I just upgraded from stock aerobars to Thule Aeroblades 53" in Black. Has anyone ever installed the 60" versions, I wasnt user if they were compatible.

Anyways, I have a Thule Force Large cargo box that I use when I go camping or on long road trips. I wanted to expand the capabilities of the crosstrek and added aditional gear to the Aeroblades, such as the following:
- Maxtrax
- Shovel and Axe
- Awning
- Rotopax

I was planning on using the following items to do this (not yet set in stone, still planning how I will do this):
Multi Track for Jigs and Custom Fences-Multi Track - Rockler Woodworking Tools
Rockler Easy-to-Grip T-Knobs, Female Threading | Rockler Woodworking and Hardware
T-Slot Bolts, Pack of Five-1/4" - 20 Thread - Rockler Woodworking Tools
ARB AWNING BRACKET UNIVERSAL (813402)

I will be attaching all this through the T-Rail section of the Aeroblade, where the Plastic mold is attached.
Now my issue is that I am trying to attach this to the sides with a cargo box in the middle, but I can't yet envision how to get the rotopax and the maxtrax on the same side, attached back to back. I might just set up the Maxtrax on the same side as the awning.

Another option I was considering was upgrading to the 60" bar for the extra 3" on each side and laying them horizontaly instead of verticaly to the bars. I am just unsure if they will fit. And my issue wis this is that I dont want people to hit their head while getting out.

I have considered getting a cargo box and attaching that all there, but at the moment I want to resolve this. As I enjoy the cargo box more for the ability of being able to secure everything away from rain or thieves.

Any suggestions, recommendations, ideas, or anything of that nature will be greatly appreciated.

If I have placed this in the wrong location I apologize, this is my first post but i've been around seeing all the great stuff people have posted.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
10,194 Posts
Welcome from SM!

Sorry, I can't answer any of your questions and have more of the same, LOL! One of which I wonder if you've considered, which is the max weight on the roof. There has been an ongoing discussion about this.

We're thinking of getting a rooftop tent and all that that entails. The manual says:

Cargo can be carried on the roof after
securing the crossbars to the roof rails and
installing an appropriate carrying attachment.
When installing crossbars and a
carrying attachment, follow the manufacturer’s
instructions. The roof rail system is
designed to carry loads (cargo, crossbars
and carrying attachment) of no more than
150 lbs (68 kg).

I assume this is the running weight and some of the tents we're looking at are over 100lbs without crossbars. Can't seem to find anything definitive about the static weight, though.

Btw, this may not be the best section to post this and get lots of replies as it's mostly about trails, etc. Rather that reposting, you could could post an intro in the Welcome section and include a link here.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I have a large cargo box as well as large cooler that I take for long camping trips. I use a hitch mounted carrier rather than mount it to the roof. Dunno if that might be an option for you.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Astrokats:
I have seen images of crosstreks with a Tent on top, haven't heard of anyone having issues. But don't quote me on that. You should consider your weight into the equation and everyone else that will be sleeping in. I would probably not go over 200lbs when driving. I think when it's just sitting by you can probably get away with more

amx304:
I considered that, in fact I was considering doing the following:
https://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchgate-solo/

I wanted to cary a full size tire (since I am running a hybrid no tire is available) and with this attach a rotopax. Now an issue I had with this was the weight.
That hitgate weights 30lbs and the hitch attachment is an extra 30lbs. So I was looking at an additional 80lbs just to attach a tire and rotopax.

Currently I carry the following inside the crosstrek:
- Tire
- Yeti
- Snacks
This makes it easier for me when I just want to pull over and sleep in the car. everything else is just in the box.
Thanks for the option though, I appreciate it. I just wanted to lay it out in case someone else was considering such things.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Astrokats:
I have seen images of crosstreks with a Tent on top, haven't heard of anyone having issues. But don't quote me on that. You should consider your weight into the equation and everyone else that will be sleeping in. I would probably not go over 200lbs when driving. I think when it's just sitting by you can probably get away with more

amx304:

I wanted to cary a full size tire (since I am running a hybrid no tire is available) and with this attach a rotopax. Now an issue I had with this was the weight.
That hitgate weights 30lbs and the hitch attachment is an extra 30lbs. So I was looking at an additional 80lbs just to attach a tire and rotopax.

- Tire
- Yeti
- Snacks
This makes it easier for me when I just want to pull over and sleep in the car. everything else is just in the box.
Thanks for the option though, I appreciate it. I just wanted to lay it out in case someone else was considering such things.
Something like this is what I use. You can put anything on it.

https://www.amazon.com/ARKSEN-Foldi...6&refinements=p_n_format_browse-bin:491459011

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
10,194 Posts
Astrokats:

amx304:

- Tire
- Yeti
- Snacks
We're average, for Santa Monicans - I'm 170lbs, and other AstroKat is less than that. So, around 300lbs of tent occupants, plus smartphones and snacks in the tent. Although, that's almost 500lbs on the roof, including the tent, rails, etc.

What snacks are you carrying that they need to figure into the load weight? :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AstroKats: you should be fine, I see all these forums of people using those roof tents but no one mentions if they have issues with them. Plus given your weight I am sure you will be fine. but don't quote me this is just an assumption. Probably be best to contact the Tent manufacturers. Check with Yakima.

amx304: I'll Consider it, at the moment I think I will go with a roof mount consider that this wont add much volume. I'll probable repost on a DIY section and post a link here if anyone is interested. I have yet to find a solution for the rotopax, but I will go ahead and add the ARB awning in the future, I figured I can always add the rotopax to the inside of the cargo box.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Astrokats:

amx304:

- Tire
- Yeti
- Snacks
I have a roof top tent mounted to Thule aero blades. I do not have a awning mounted, but I think there is room. My aeroblades are the 53”. I also have the Wilco hitchgate solo with rotopax mount. I’ll post some pictures of the whole setup next time I get it out.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a roof top tent mounted to Thule aero blades. I do not have a awning mounted, but I think there is room. My aeroblades are the 53”. I also have the Wilco hitchgate solo with rotopax mount. I’ll post some pictures of the whole setup next time I get it out.
Thanks Avi80r. Some Pics would be great. Did you get the a lift kit too?

An update: I got the traction pads installed on the top and side of my CrossX, I also have the Awning installed. Everything was able to fit in the 53" aeroblades with enough room for additional addons. I think I will also have the Rotopax installed up here once I figure out how to do it.

IMG_1435 (12).jpg
Excuse quality, max was apparently like 97kb.

I think I will skip the hitchgate as this entire setup adds an additional 80+ lbs in gear weight (not including the spare tire). figured it would be best to shed some weight to improve performance when needed until the necessity arrives. I also heard that crosstrek has "saggy" butt issue when loaded. I have the hybrid which supposedly comes with improved suspensions and have not seen a ridiculous amount of "sagging."
I do like that addition but at the moment I think I will have to pass until I find a better suspension for the CrossX or get a lift kit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts