Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SUBARU CROSSTREK MANUAL TRANSMISSION

It may not be the most powerful crossover around, but the Crosstrek is a practical choice thanks to its spacious interior and solid off-road capability. Add to that impressive fuel economy. When paired with a manual transmission, the Crosstrek achieves a Real MPG score of 25.9/38.9/30.5 mpg, significantly higher than its EPA rating of 23/29/25 mpg. The CVT automatic-equipped Crosstrek is still efficient but doesn't quite live up to its high EPA estimate. Its Real MPG score is 24.5/35.1/28.3 mpg, compared to its EPA rating of 27/33/29 mpg.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I can verify that. Around town I come in a bit worse than the published figures, but most of my drives are highway miles and according to Fuely I can exceed the EPA figures easily.

Jake

·
Registered
161 Posts
This pisses me off to no end, considering that I bought the CVT in large part due to the higher mileage. Sigh.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I know I usually drive very conservatively in my manual, as of this morning Fuelly say's I'm averaging 7.5L/100 km (31.3 mpg).
The exaggerometer says 6.8 (34.5 mpg).

·
Registered
831 Posts
This pisses me off to no end, considering that I bought the CVT in large part due to the higher mileage. Sigh.

That was a piece of my decision making process as well. That and sore knees.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'm suspecting CR was using the Exaggerometer.

artosa

·
Registered
25 Posts
I highly doubt they would do that. I believe they have specific methods they use for testing, and using the display to get MPG isn’t any way to get real data. Doing that would have burned them long before this. I could certainly be wrong.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are not wrong. From Consumer Reports' website:

Fuel Economy
We perform our own fuel-economy tests, independent of the government’s often quoted EPA figures and the manufacturers’ claims. Using a precise fuel-flow measuring device spliced into the fuel line, we run two separate circuits. One is on a public highway at a steady 65 mph. That course is run in both directions to counteract any terrain and wind effects. A second is a simulated urban/suburban-driving test done at our track. It consists of predetermined acceleration and deceleration rates, as well as idle time. Consumer Reports’ overall fuel-economy numbers are derived from those fuel-consumption tests.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I stand corrected! In my defense, one of the articles I read on their website or magazine mentioned the cars' mpg readout, (it may have been an Outback), which lead me to wonder whether they were using the vehicle's display in mpg figures. On one of my fills, the Exaggerometer was off by almost six mpg.

artosa

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
If CR were using the Exaggerometer, they would have reported 23mpg around town, which is what our car says. I cannot imagine they would not have a very sophisticated method of calculating actual consumption.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I know I usually drive very conservatively in my manual, as of this morning Fuelly say's I'm averaging 7.5L/100 km (31.3 mpg).
The exaggerometer says 6.8 (34.5 mpg).
Thats A LOT better than what ive been getting.

log.JPG

(The 19 MPG average was a trip up to tahoe for snowboarding with the full basket setup on the roof).

I am also lifted and much larger tires.. so I know thats a large part of it haha.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Thats A LOT better than what ive been getting.
Thirsty chickenmobile.

I do very little city driving; typically one day on the weekend, if we go into town and if we take my car. However, I annoy others by setting cruise to the highway speed limit. It's much better on gas and travelling 10-20 kph faster only saves 1-2 minutes of travel time from Ottawa to home.

One tip I've gotten from this forum is to leave it in gear when coasting.
Someone had said that the engine doesn't really drink when doing that but if you let it coast in neutral, the engine needs more gas to stay at idle.
My consumption has dropped since I started doing that.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Thirsty chickenmobile.

I do very little city driving; typically one day on the weekend, if we go into town and if we take my car. However, I annoy others by setting cruise to the highway speed limit. It's much better on gas and travelling 10-20 kph faster only saves 1-2 minutes of travel time from Ottawa to home.

One tip I've gotten from this forum is to leave it in gear when coasting.
Someone had said that the engine doesn't really drink when doing that but if you let it coast in neutral, the engine needs more gas to stay at idle.
My consumption has dropped since I started doing that.
My commute is about 33 miles each way, about 30 of it is freeway, but it's not all flat. I know it takes more going into work than it does coming home (but it averages out right?? lol).

Correct! Engine decel will "cut off" the injectors down to a certain RPM, thus saving gas over throwing it in neutral and coasting. Ive been doing this for years since my first Subaru.

Currently on one of my best tanks that I can remember in a long while. Car is showing 29.9.. so its really still more like 26.X in real life.

Also, Fuelly does not account for the difference in tire size.

My last fill up was 361 miles and filled 14.551 gallon. My correction is 361*1.05 = 379.05/14.551 = 26.05 average compared to Fuelly's 24.81

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I can verify that. Around town I come in a bit worse than the published figures, but most of my drives are highway miles and according to Fuely I can exceed the EPA figures easily.

Jake
Agree with Jake

MY 18 6 MT yes it is not a stop go city car, but in my home town I take the hwy to get to where I need to be, so mileage isn't as bad as it might otherwise be.. I too am happy to report on the highway Tigger does better than posted figures.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been logging my mileage manually and have consistently hitting 32 mpg over the course of a tank of gas - 2019 Premium 6MT.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Drove my 2018 Limited from Maine to Florida and pinned the mpg at 39.9 (to include driving different speeds to break in the engine).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts