Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
How did the custom sun visor come out? Interested to see.
NO shops in town would do it. Sucks. I even showed them the pictures and how it would be "compliant". TBH, I might just find someone to tint the whole windshield. I hate eyesight anyways ;)

I am certain someone will do it off the books when I flash some green backs at em.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
794 Posts
I'll be getting a 5th wheel mount here soon. Still unsure if I want the rear hitch version or a roof rack version. Most likely roof rack to keep the rear backup cam available and not have to move anything around.
Does anyone make a streamlined roof box just large enough for a tire/wheel assembly along with a few tools?

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
111 Posts
NO shops in town would do it. Sucks. I even showed them the pictures and how it would be "compliant". TBH, I might just find someone to tint the whole windshield. I hate eyesight anyways ;)

I am certain someone will do it off the books when I flash some green backs at em.
I had the same problem until this local guy (there is no tint shops in my area at all, have to drive 2 hours away for one, small town. Didn’t even know he exists because he doesn’t have a ‘business’ tinting) that does tinting vehicles on the side agreed to do it for me. I was honestly so amazed on how great the tint came out and he don’t even have a business doing it. The guy I first went to that has a business tinting did such a **** job. He was hesitant at first due to Eyesight but I assured him if anything goes wrong it’s on me. I’ve had 4 cars re-tinted because his work is amazing and he uses the best of the best ceramic tint. I’m sure those certain places that declined would do it! They just don’t want to be liable if something goes wrong. Tell them you’ll sign a waiver if need be. You’re right! Money talks. get it done and report back! You’ll love it!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Does anyone make a streamlined roof box just large enough for a tire/wheel assembly along with a few tools?
I found a couple like this:

Not sure if that is the streamline you are looking for, but I want something with a wind deflector up front. I plan on getting a large tuff box and my tire up there. Possibly. At least the tire.

I had the same problem until this local guy (there is no tint shops in my area at all, have to drive 2 hours away for one, small town. Didn’t even know he exists because he doesn’t have a ‘business’ tinting) that does tinting vehicles on the side agreed to do it for me. I was honestly so amazed on how great the tint came out and he don’t even have a business doing it. The guy I first went to that has a business tinting did such a **** job. He was hesitant at first due to Eyesight but I assured him if anything goes wrong it’s on me. I’ve had 4 cars re-tinted because his work is amazing and he uses the best of the best ceramic tint. I’m sure those certain places that declined would do it! They just don’t want to be liable if something goes wrong. Tell them you’ll sign a waiver if need be. You’re right! Money talks. get it done and report back! You’ll love it!
Good point, I never thought to bring up the waiver part. Maybe I'll swing by today.

·
Registered
Subaru XV 2021 2.0i-S CVT (Aust)
338 Posts
You might want to try and run a wind noise test before you throw it in the roof. Try a temp setup. I can’t say I’ve had a wheel on the roof, but similar large items I’ve had and it is a bit noisy on the highway. But the wind sound may not bother you.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
You might want to try and run a wind noise test before you throw it in the roof. Try a temp setup. I can’t say I’ve had a wheel on the roof, but similar large items I’ve had and it is a bit noisy on the highway. But the wind sound may not bother you.
Is it just because there is zero sound dampening up there? Going through the car wash is like someone trying to recreate thunder for a movie scene, is that the kind of wind noise I can expect? Cuz if so.... that's a big no go for me. But even with the "wind deflector" they are still noisy? How would you recommend a temp setup?

·
Registered
Subaru XV 2021 2.0i-S CVT (Aust)
338 Posts
By temporary I just mean strap the tyre securely to roof racks to try it out before you go for any investment in roof top additions.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Unfortunately, between 65/70 hour work weeks I have hit a wall doing any more work to my car, and it's probably going to stay that way for the foreseeable future. TBH, I am looking at trading in for a Tacoma. Main reason: CVT. Not a fan at all. Great car so far, but I miss my truck and I need a "normal" transmission with a bigger engine to handle the routes I take. Might be a year before I trade in, but it will happen.

·
Premium Member
2020 Crosstrek Premium 6MT
220 Posts
Unfortunately, between 65/70 hour work weeks I have hit a wall doing any more work to my car, and it's probably going to stay that way for the foreseeable future. TBH, I am looking at trading in for a Tacoma. Main reason: CVT. Not a fan at all. Great car so far, but I miss my truck and I need a "normal" transmission with a bigger engine to handle the routes I take. Might be a year before I trade in, but it will happen.
I feel your pain! The main reason I chose the Crosstrek was the manual transmission. I was a truck driver for five years and hate automatics. I even ordered my Hummer with a manual!

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrid
644 Posts
I love the car, but I'm kinda in the same boat. I would really like a 6-speed so maybe in a few years depending on the market situation with cars, I might end up getting a WRX or maybe the new Nissan Z. I'm driving under 5,000mi per year at this rate and though it's nice having the hybrid and using electric to get around town, these would be more fun and continue to be garage queens since I have the garage and can avoid driving in bad weather.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I love the car, but I'm kinda in the same boat. I would really like a 6-speed so maybe in a few years depending on the market situation with cars, I might end up getting a WRX or maybe the new Nissan Z. I'm driving under 5,000mi per year at this rate and though it's nice having the hybrid and using electric to get around town, these would be more fun and continue to be garage queens since I have the garage and can avoid driving in bad weather.
I have also cut my trips in half over this year. From the beginning of the year putting 6k miles on to a tank now lasting me almost 3 weeks. But I agree about the WRX. If I go Subaru, it will be an STI variant. At the time when I got the crosstrek, it was above my comfort level for an affordable payment... now, new job, new location, etc etc, not so much. I can afford what I actually want ;)

I do absolutely trust this car in snow though, subaru won me over there.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Premium w/Manual Transmission
9 Posts
Very very well done. Any push back from the dealer about your lift? Every state is different, and I'm in Massachusetts so Montana's opinion may not carry over, but I'm trying to get a good base of knowledge before I make the leap for my 21'.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Very very well done. Any push back from the dealer about your lift? Every state is different, and I'm in Massachusetts so Montana's opinion may not carry over, but I'm trying to get a good base of knowledge before I make the leap for my 21'.
Montana has consumer rights, so no push back. I even cancelled my extended warranty with zero issues ;)

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrid
644 Posts
Montana has consumer rights, so no push back. I even cancelled my extended warranty with zero issues ;)
That's good. Extended warranty wasn't going to help you anyway. You think you're paying for piece of mind, but they're just taking more of your money. If you had a problem, that warranty likely had some sort of exemption to screw you over.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Well, I decided today to get my first set of studded now tires and got some cheap winter rims with them.
Federal Himalayan's @ 225/65R17 and some Raceline Evo 131B's. Cheap and easy. This way I can just swap them easily myself. I also made the decision by buying these tires that I will be keeping the Vanilla Gorilla for at least 3 years. Ya know, to get the most out of the rims and tires I bought, lol. I almost put the winter tires on the stock rims but I decided against it and will most likely just try selling the stock rims? I dunno, I kinda like having them and that way when I go to trade it in or sell it I have summer rims/tires, winter rims/tires, and the stock rims. Plus I like using the stock Subie emblem the rims came with ;)

Since I made that decision over the course of one trip to Les Schwab in 10 minutes, I also decided I'd go ahead and get the DD Fog Lights. So those are on the way too. Other than that, I think if anything is still in the future for the CT it's gonna be sound related. I just don't see the planned 5th tire mount being worth it or the roof rack considering I just never use one. So possibly next summer I will sound dampen and upgrade the audio then call it good for the rest of my time with it before I trade it in. All I know is I keep finding myself building STI's and Tacoma's...

Will update this post with pics next week when the winter rims/tires get put on.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts