Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrid
544 Posts
I didn't get the rest of my tint redone, but I got the front windows done with ceramic at a shop that does high-end cars. Figured they would do it right. I paid $180 for both windows and not sure of the percentage but it closely matches the rest of the windows and the ceramic is great to keep the UV rays out and keep my arms from burning up in the sun. I noticed it from day 1 that it sucked and I had never gotten aftermarket tint done on any of my cars. My legacy had solar glass so I never noticed the heat from the sun through the glass. It's a bummer they cheaped out on the CT.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I didn't get the rest of my tint redone, but I got the front windows done with ceramic at a shop that does high-end cars. Figured they would do it right. I paid $180 for both windows and not sure of the percentage but it closely matches the rest of the windows and the ceramic is great to keep the UV rays out and keep my arms from burning up in the sun. I noticed it from day 1 that it sucked and I had never gotten aftermarket tint done on any of my cars. My legacy had solar glass so I never noticed the heat from the sun through the glass. It's a bummer they cheaped out on the CT.
Same with my F150. I never noticed it then either. But first time in the sun with the CT I did. I have never been this low to the ground either, so that is a huge factor. The amount of trucks on the road up here in MT is crazy, and most are lifted without making adjustments to their headlights. Pretty selfish IMHO. As soon as I lifted the CT I adjusted the headlights, and same with my previous trucks. But my biggest concern is privacy, and doubley so while driving due to being so low. I do miss being able to see through peoples windshields while driving and being slightly wider too, lol. Makes me keep some extra distance while driving - thus decreasing the distance of the idiot behind me ;)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Well, the pics don't do it justice, but I painted my fog lights with Krylon Stained Glass in Canary Yellow. Perfect match for those "JDM" fog lights. I am just really not fond of vinyl anything because I just don't trust myself with it. I did get in some vinyl covers, but they were pretty dark and I didn't like the way they looked, so I went the painted route. At first, I tried some Rustoleum Peel Coat Yellow Lens Tint, and it was TERRIBLE! Avoid that stuff at all costs. I watched one video of it where they showed it being done but the guy doing it never restored the lenses first, so I assumed the crappiness was from his half assed efforts. Wrong. That stuff was foggy, thick, and the color was way off. Luckily, it was peel coat, so it came right off. Anyways, here is the finished result of the Stained Glass paint. Like I said, the pics just don't do it justice. It looks so much better in person. Hopefully I can take some better pictures here soon and I'll update when I do, but for now:

Terrible pics. Maybe when it gets darker I can try again. Right now it doesn't get dark until after 2000 and the sun is coming up at 0500 here. Since I leave the house at 0430 maybe tomorrow morning will provide a better detail.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well, the pics don't do it justice, but I painted my fog lights with Krylon Stained Glass in Canary Yellow. Perfect match for those "JDM" fog lights. I am just really not fond of vinyl anything because I just don't trust myself with it. I did get in some vinyl covers, but they were pretty dark and I didn't like the way they looked, so I went the painted route. At first, I tried some Rustoleum Peel Coat Yellow Lens Tint, and it was TERRIBLE! Avoid that stuff at all costs. I watched one video of it where they showed it being done but the guy doing it never restored the lenses first, so I assumed the crappiness was from his half assed efforts. Wrong. That stuff was foggy, thick, and the color was way off. Luckily, it was peel coat, so it came right off. Anyways, here is the finished result of the Stained Glass paint. Like I said, the pics just don't do it justice. It looks so much better in person. Hopefully I can take some better pictures here soon and I'll update when I do, but for now:

View attachment 306140

View attachment 306141

Terrible pics. Maybe when it gets darker I can try again. Right now it doesn't get dark until after 2000 and the sun is coming up at 0500 here. Since I leave the house at 0430 maybe tomorrow morning will provide a better detail.
I am really curious about the process you used to "paint" the fog lights yellow. Is it permanent? Does it obfuscate the light output very much? Other thoughts after using them?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I am really curious about the process you used to "paint" the fog lights yellow. Is it permanent? Does it obfuscate the light output very much? Other thoughts after using them?
It's basically a yellow clear coat. Zero noticeable dimming and these are just stock bulbs. TBH, for fog lights, I don't want very bright lights. I want just a hint of yellow light for the rare occasion I use them in fog. It would be easy to remove too. Just like "restoring" headlights. The vinyl everyone uses is MUCH thicker and definitely dims the light. Most likely, still not enough to worry about though. The picture I have with them on makes them look darker than they are. I will try to take some pics when it's darker here soon. I guess I should have taken some before and after shots too. There are tons of paints out there, but the stained glass only required 3 light coats about a minute apart from each other. I used a 1200 grit first, then a 2000 grit, polished, then applied the stained glass. TBH, that was all probably unnecessary, and you could easily just paint them as is. I did UV clear coat over them too. After they dried, I used a ceramic wax (it's a quick ceramic wax from CG) and a microfiber towel to seal the deal. When it comes to painting, the method I have learned is also another life principal I live by: K.I.S.S. - Keep it simple, stupid. Same steps every time. Agitate, smooth, shine, protect ;)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
I got a chip in my plasti-dipped grille. Dangit! Pretty sure I hit a Pterodactyl on the way home yesterday. Of course it's the one spot I had a flaw on during painting. So, probably just going to wait until it's bad enough to remove and re-do it and ignore it in the mean time. Ugh... Still not interested in wrapping anything. I have even given up my thoughts of getting wraps for headlights and taillights. I think too much off that stuff is just gaudy and tasteless. TBH, I'd be fine with the silver back in the grille. It did give a nice contrast.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Tint going on next Wednesday, the 23rd. Super stoked. Going to get a custom sun strip on the front windshield that is "eyesight compatible". Roasting in this thing and summer is still technically 2 days away, lol. Going to try for some new photos to update the front page "welcome to my journal" pics ;)

I have so much going on right now. I need to take it to the dealer and have them test drive it because the tranny just does not feel right at all.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Thank you! I came from a 5.4L FORD, and the best advice I can give you is stick to the 0w-20. Engine tolerances are no joke and not to be messed with using thicker engine oil on modern engines. Just don't do it. You will only starve certain parts of the engine for oil. Better brands offer better protections and detergents. Use "additives" sparingly. The best thing you can do is change the oil often. Also, you put more strain on the pump. It's just shitty advice from people online who don't know **** about engines. Don't do it!

As for the trunk LED's... it's a possibility. I do like the idea.

As for the white color, shows less flaws in the long run. Montana roads are hellish. Probably the worst I have ever experienced. Paired with zero accountability requiring things like mud flaps and state inspections (both good and bad in many ways) and constantly dirty roads, it's definitely the route to go for showing the least damage. I had a silver F150 and before that a black Dodge Ram. Nothing I did helped. At least this one is new and I can catch most of it by using things like ceramic coatings and such. I will try my best, but out here, it's pretty much the drive through car wash all the time and call it good with a simple wipe down, because it'll be destroyed by the drive home. Drives me nuts really. No garage, well water, and too busy to make a whole day out of cleaning my baby... which also drives me nuts. I try. I do my best.

Awesome advice. I will most likely take the "cheaper" route then, by adding a hitch and a hitch carrier from Offbeat Overland. Here Plus, I have noticed people seem to think they can ride my *** or get closer in the crosstrek than in my F150, either that, or I just didn't notice them as much in the truck. One reason I hate being lower to the ground. Tons of trucks up here in Montana and they all want to drive like idiots.
Well most of them are idiots, excepting you of course.:alien:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Well most of them are idiots, excepting you of course.:alien:
I check the dashcam footage often, and have gotten used to it actually, but the way the rear end is and the rear hatch window make them seem waaaay too close. TBH, if I can't see your hood, you are too close. Even at a stop light. It's just Montana... they don't drive safe here.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Got the tint done today. Looks GREAT! I can't roll down the windows for the next couple days, and I won't clean it because there is a tiny, very tiny seal leak in the front drivers side window that allows a slight drip in when the pressure washer hits it at the right angle, so I will upload a couple pics here in a couple days when it's all clean. All I can say is... wow! It's dark. 15% fronts are perfect, and 5% rear is a bit hard to see out of with the rear view mirror, but I don't care. Privacy was my desire, and I achieved it. I have not driven at night and rarely do, mostly early morning stuff, but I'll be just fine with it the way it is. If someone wants to ride my *** at least I won't be bothered by their headlights ;) - or lack thereof because in Montana nobody uses lights in any weather including turn signals and brakes. smh...

Pics soon.

·
Registered
2021 ISM Crosstrek Ltd
183 Posts
Got the tint done today. Looks GREAT! I can't roll down the windows for the next couple days, and I won't clean it because there is a tiny, very tiny seal leak in the front drivers side window that allows a slight drip in when the pressure washer hits it at the right angle, so I will upload a couple pics here in a couple days when it's all clean. All I can say is... wow! It's dark. 15% fronts are perfect, and 5% rear is a bit hard to see out of with the rear view mirror, but I don't care. Privacy was my desire, and I achieved it. I have not driven at night and rarely do, mostly early morning stuff, but I'll be just fine with it the way it is. If someone wants to ride my *** at least I won't be bothered by their headlights ;) - or lack thereof because in Montana nobody uses lights in any weather including turn signals and brakes. smh...

Pics soon.
About that seal leak - would the old Suby trick of shimming the seal take care of that??

Montana sounds like a tough place to be a LEO, and a good place for open carry. :)

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrid
544 Posts

Pics soon.
Yeah, when I had my front windows done, I thought they were pretty dark, but they closely match the stock tint of the rest of the car. I went with ceramic and it's amazing how much cooler my arm feels in the sunlight not getting toasted. Driving at night can be a bit interesting if you drive with the windows down, then put them up (makes it harder for your eyes to keep the same focus). Only noticed this once or twice while backing up into my garage. It went from okay to very dark so I don't put the windows up while backing up anymore.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
Updated pics on the front page with all overall mods.

About that seal leak - would the old Suby trick of shimming the seal take care of that??

Montana sounds like a tough place to be a LEO, and a good place for open carry. :)
Can you explain shimming? It's funny because since the tint, I have washed it a couple times already and not noticed any leaking. I'll have to check after tomorrows wash.

·
Registered
2021 ISM Crosstrek Ltd
183 Posts
Updated pics on the front page with all overall mods.

Can you explain shimming? It's funny because since the tint, I have washed it a couple times already and not noticed any leaking. I'll have to check after tomorrows wash.
I was a little hasty with my advice... shimming leaking window seals was a common solution for wind noise and leaking rain in earlier Subarus with frameless windows. But with the newer framed windows leaking of either water or wind shouldn't be an issue.

Glad your problem seems to have disappeared? In any case I'm sure you'll solve it quickly.

The only times I've had rain come in is when I haven't shut my window completely... which in my case is done reluctantly as I like my front windows to always be partially open. I'd install the little window "awnings" but don't like the look. Could an incompletely closed window have been your issue also?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I was a little hasty with my advice... shimming leaking window seals was a common solution for wind noise and leaking rain in earlier Subarus with frameless windows. But with the newer framed windows leaking of either water or wind shouldn't be an issue.

Glad your problem seems to have disappeared? In any case I'm sure you'll solve it quickly.

The only times I've had rain come in is when I haven't shut my window completely... which in my case is done reluctantly as I like my front windows to always be partially open. I'd install the little window "awnings" but don't like the look. Could an incompletely closed window have been your issue also?
No, I always close the windows all the way when washing and I also have the deflectors. Had to be from just the right angle or something. I'll keep an eye out.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I have an appointment on the 8th to get a diagnosis on my transmission. Sometimes, it's very tempermental. Of course, on the entire drive today, not one issue. But I find that occasionally it will violently downshift to the point of not even needing brakes until the last second, which is never good for the person behind me expecting brake lights, and worst of all - the "slippage" from stop and go. It goes from stop through 1st in a millisecond, lags drastically and clunks back into "gear". I can't explain it any better. The times it does this are when I have left work. I find that it doesn't do it on the way to work, because I leave the house and get right up to 70mph, that turns into 60, and so on. I honestly cannot remember it causing an issue on the way into work or town, just when I am leaving like it doesn't enjoy warming up. But the other day was the worst. Construction everywhere around town and even downhill rolling into acceleration it "slipped" and clunked into "gear". I wish I could figure out why it does this. At first it wasn't so bad but it seems to be getting worse. I also suspected that it was my driving habits, but that's not possible if it does it on certain times. So, hopefully they can figure out whats up and recreate the issue. Like I said though, the CT knew I was driving it to Subaru today so of course it drove perfectly. I almost felt bad, lol.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts