Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrid
544 Posts
Perfect. I love that oil especially for the price. Ultra plat seems to be only available online now days. I still have some 0w-20 left over from my FORD that I stocked up on for winter changes. Only 2 gallons, but I saw the price going crazy and it going out of stock so I figured wth... why not.
Yeah, I just picked up a 5L jug on Amazon for $22. Couldn't get ultra platinum in time for when I wanted to do my oil change in May.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I've heard good things about chemical guys. I have some of their towels. I primarily used Griot's Garage products since 2003 and their polish and wax products. Before I got my 2019 Hybrid, I started using Hydrosilex products for prep and ceramic. Takes a quarter of the time as waxing a car with an orbital. Definitely want to do other prep work before ceramic though (iron remover, degreaser, clay bar, and any polish for rough spots from factory). I layered my ceramic (two coats, a week apart) and it's extra slick. It's holding up great since I did it back in November (though my car is constantly garage kept). They also have other products, like a tire shine that works great, though nothing looks as great as those rugged tires you have. My stock tires aren't as good looking!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Yep! I'll move this thread into the Members Journal sub-forum, and if you want me to change the thread title, just let me know!
I tried changing the title and it looked like it would allow me to, I am just not creative enough to think of anything worthy of changing it to. I'll think of something later, maybe. But than you very much for all your help. Almost like you moderate here or something...

I've heard good things about chemical guys. I have some of their towels. I primarily used Griot's Garage products since 2003 and their polish and wax products. Before I got my 2019 Hybrid, I started using Hydrosilex products for prep and ceramic. Takes a quarter of the time as waxing a car with an orbital. Definitely want to do other prep work before ceramic though (iron remover, degreaser, clay bar, and any polish for rough spots from factory). I layered my ceramic (two coats, a week apart) and it's extra slick. It's holding up great since I did it back in November (though my car is constantly garage kept). They also have other products, like a tire shine that works great, though nothing looks as great as those rugged tires you have. My stock tires aren't as good looking!

Thanks! I chose the Toyo's because they were not overly rugged looking. Plenty of beef, but nice and lean. I never got into CG products before, because I never owned a new vehicle, but if you want to preserve something you are going to end up paying for it, and investing in good products that actually last is worth the price. All things considered, comparing some of the CG products to the lifespan of other products, it's actually saving money. As for the Ceramic coating, I picked up a spray bottle at wal-mart and it's more along the lines of a quick wax variant with small amounts of ceramic in it. I did use dish soap to clean first, then clay barred everything including the glass, but I didn't polish - well, because it's white lol. It still looks great and I noticed a difference right away, even from a bit further back. Today I parked next to a white Outback and mine was noticeably whiter lol. I was actually surprised. As for the rim and tire stuff, nothing special, but it's definitely a much better coating than crap like Black Magic or 90% of other tire and rim shines. I was surprised by that too, and didn't expect much being armor all brand, but next I will invest in some CG products for that too. The armor all bottles just won't last long enough. I do know I will be taking the rims and tires off to clean them pretty regularly. It's so easy on this CT. On my F150, nope... Too heavy, too big, and too much work. Plus, the truck just wasn't worth it tbh. Anyways, thanks for the input and good luck on your swap to rugged tires ;)

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limted
118 Posts
Those mods/upgrades are really tastefully done and that is one nice CT!
I'm considering going with the Toyo OCs, but on the stock 18" rims..... I've used those tires exclusively for must be 35 years [know they have changed somewhat] first on my FJ40 and then on my Cherokee. They always did well offroad and on a lasted well.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Thanks! I chose the Toyo's because they were not overly rugged looking. Plenty of beef, but nice and lean. I never got into CG products before, because I never owned a new vehicle, but if you want to preserve something you are going to end up paying for it, and investing in good products that actually last is worth the price. All things considered, comparing some of the CG products to the lifespan of other products, it's actually saving money. As for the Ceramic coating, I picked up a spray bottle at wal-mart and it's more along the lines of a quick wax variant with small amounts of ceramic in it. I did use dish soap to clean first, then clay barred everything including the glass, but I didn't polish - well, because it's white lol. It still looks great and I noticed a difference right away, even from a bit further back. Today I parked next to a white Outback and mine was noticeably whiter lol. I was actually surprised. As for the rim and tire stuff, nothing special, but it's definitely a much better coating than crap like Black Magic or 90% of other tire and rim shines. I was surprised by that too, and didn't expect much being armor all brand, but next I will invest in some CG products for that too. The armor all bottles just won't last long enough. I do know I will be taking the rims and tires off to clean them pretty regularly. It's so easy on this CT. On my F150, nope... Too heavy, too big, and too much work. Plus, the truck just wasn't worth it tbh. Anyways, thanks for the input and good luck on your swap to rugged tires ;)
How do you like the ride and noise of the Toyos? I was thinking of getting Falken Wildpeak Trails when my stock tires wear down so I'm curious about these as well. I'll keep the stock wheels, so I'll be going 18", but do wish for more sidewall.

When you jack up the car are you just using the center point under the front and rear and jack stands under the corners? Do you use the locations where you would use the spare jack for the stands? Curious about that because i mainly use race ramps and need to return recalled stands from harbor freight and debating whether to get 2 more stands to do tire rotations/take them off for deep cleaning.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
How do you like the ride and noise of the Toyos? I was thinking of getting Falken Wildpeak Trails when my stock tires wear down so I'm curious about these as well. I'll keep the stock wheels, so I'll be going 18", but do wish for more sidewall.

When you jack up the car are you just using the center point under the front and rear and jack stands under the corners? Do you use the locations where you would use the spare jack for the stands? Curious about that because i mainly use race ramps and need to return recalled stands from harbor freight and debating whether to get 2 more stands to do tire rotations/take them off for deep cleaning.
If I was keeping stock rims, it would most definitely be Falken Wildpeak. For the extra flair on the sidewall. They would look much better with the smaller sidewalls on 18's than the OC's I think, but I also like the OC's. I dunno. As far as noise, I don't notice a difference. In fact, it might actually be quieter because of the lift. Adds a little more space between the tires and wheel wells.

For the jack and stands, I used the rear dif and put the stands on the frame in front of the rears. Same with the front - the metal plate and the side of the frame. I also did a recall for my jack and stands from HF about a year ago. Seems like they have one every year, smh... But hey, at least they recall them. I'd just hate to be that one to have it fail when I am under the vehicle. I always take both tires off at the same time and place them in front of the jack stands under the side of the car, just in case... but since I was cleaning rims and tires, I used wood blocks instead.

It's a bit odd with the CT, because there is TONS of suspension travel. I only have one spot where I can jack the vehicle up so I can only do front or back - not at the same time. I do miss the clearance of my lifted F150 in that aspect.

I am not even sure the spare tire jack would work with my lift. I carry a bottle jack that works though, and I plan on mounting a 5th wheel because trying to use that spare with these rims and tires would surely be one hell of an interesting drive, lol.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Yeah, it's crazy how much travel it has. I was hoping i could use the stands without extending the arms to the first notch (safest), but of course it doesn't work that way. My plan was to use the pinch welds where the emergency jack would go and I think that's what you're talking about. And yeah, rear diff and the front crossmember are the 2 jack spots to get the half of the car up in the air.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,412 Posts
Nice AS/S!

Reactions: Montana Actual

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Got the grille done! All black and loving it. It didn't look bad stock, but I just wasn't excited about the silver being something you see on every other CT. This is probably the best I will do for the grille, because doing a mesh setup is a lot of work and very time consuming. If I was going to do a mesh setup, I'd buy a whole new grille just in case I screwed it up. We'll see, for now though, here it is:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
I found some dirt today. Doesn't look like much, and didn't do anything crazy, just scouting out a couple of the usual shooting spots. Mudflaps took the brunt of it. I had to turn around about a quarter way down two of trails due to heavy snow - not worth trekking just yet, but the one closest to my house was clear-ish. The small pic on the forum doesn't show a whole lot of dirt. I've hit the same trails in my old F150 and everything was covered by the end of it, so I'm pretty impressed with the CT keeping most of it under the wheel wells and on the mud flaps.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Attribute part of the cleanliness to the ceramic coating you put on!
lol, didn't even make it to the second coat yet. Man, it was so caked on there. The road I went down to get to the trail was worse than the trail itself. I spent a half hour today just rinsing it off at the wash bay, then decided to take it to the drive through wash after. Tomorrow I will do a propper clean but with the weather being back and forth right now, no idea when I will have time to wax.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
I got my custom plates today. Not sure if I should spoil the surprise here, and I don't exactly like the idea of sharing my plates online, but I do get comments, lol. I was never one to customize plates before, but I though "why not" this time. I know it's "public information" every time I drive it, but I don't feel the need to dox myself to a bunch of randoms on the interwebs. I am super happy though. It's kind of a philosophy of mine I have learned to live by, and part of the reason I went from a truck to a CT in the first place. I've been told the plates suite me perfectly.

Also have a date of Jun 23rd for my tint.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I got my custom plates today. Not sure if I should spoil the surprise here, and I don't exactly like the idea of sharing my plates online, but I do get comments, lol. I was never one to customize plates before, but I though "why not" this time.
So not posting the Actual photo then???
Random info re customised plates ...
Way way back there was a singer and TV talk show host named Dinah Shore. She loved to play tennis and her custom plates were 10SNE1

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
So not posting the Actual photo then???
Random info re customised plates ...
Way way back there was a singer and TV talk show host named Dinah Shore. She loved to play tennis and her custom plates were 10SNE1
Yea, no image. It's one thing to have someone get personal info locally, it's another to piss someone off online and have them stalk you for some random comment.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts