Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Purchased in April 2021, Lifted in April 2021 ;)

Modifications: (Click for product)
LP Adventure Lift
225/75R15 Toyo Open Country AT3's
Black Rhino Boxer B's (15x7)
Rek Gen mud flaps
Window Deflectors
VIOFO A139 3 channel

Krylon Stained Glass Canary Yellow fog light painting
De-badged rear end and plasti-dipped grille winglets
Ceramic Tint - 15% front & 5% rear
Pedal Commander - Literally the best investment for the Crosstrek
Auto Start/Stop (AS/S) Eliminator

Coming up: (Click for product)
5th wheel mount
Roof Rack

DD Fog Lights
Sound Dampening and Audio Upgrades - Possible

Pics on the first post will be updated to reflect current status, scroll to find details, feel free to ask any questions

·
Registered
2019 Canadian Sport trim (6MT // 2.0 )
475 Posts
Welcome - looks fabulous. You're courageous to have gotten a white car for muddy trails (reminds me of urban snapchatters hiking in pristine white shoes...)

Maintenance - I'm in the camp that doesn't care much, my local shop uses castrol syntec. I did the 1st oil change quite rapidly though, around 4 000 km. Might be switching to 0W30, it allegedly offers a better protection (and makes the engine run more silently).

Suggestion for a (cheap) mod: cargo lighting. Stock one sucks, and there have been quite a few nifty ideas floating around this forum to add LEDs to the trunk.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
13,260 Posts
Welcome - looks fabulous. You're courageous to have gotten a white car for muddy trails (reminds me of urban snapchatters hiking in pristine white shoes...)
I'm a fan of greyscale cars. White cars for muddy trails will better display the badge of honor!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

Maintenance - I'm in the camp that doesn't care much, my local shop uses castrol syntec. I did the 1st oil change quite rapidly though, around 4 000 km. Might be switching to 0W30, it allegedly offers a better protection (and makes the engine run more silently).

Suggestion for a (cheap) mod: cargo lighting. Stock one sucks, and there have been quite a few nifty ideas floating around this forum to add LEDs to the trunk.
Thank you! I came from a 5.4L FORD, and the best advice I can give you is stick to the 0w-20. Engine tolerances are no joke and not to be messed with using thicker engine oil on modern engines. Just don't do it. You will only starve certain parts of the engine for oil. Better brands offer better protections and detergents. Use "additives" sparingly. The best thing you can do is change the oil often. Also, you put more strain on the pump. It's just shitty advice from people online who don't know **** about engines. Don't do it!

As for the trunk LED's... it's a possibility. I do like the idea.

As for the white color, shows less flaws in the long run. Montana roads are hellish. Probably the worst I have ever experienced. Paired with zero accountability requiring things like mud flaps and state inspections (both good and bad in many ways) and constantly dirty roads, it's definitely the route to go for showing the least damage. I had a silver F150 and before that a black Dodge Ram. Nothing I did helped. At least this one is new and I can catch most of it by using things like ceramic coatings and such. I will try my best, but out here, it's pretty much the drive through car wash all the time and call it good with a simple wipe down, because it'll be destroyed by the drive home. Drives me nuts really. No garage, well water, and too busy to make a whole day out of cleaning my baby... which also drives me nuts. I try. I do my best.

If you drive highway a lot I would advise against the spare tire on a roof rack. Wind noise is atrocious.
Awesome advice. I will most likely take the "cheaper" route then, by adding a hitch and a hitch carrier from Offbeat Overland. Here Plus, I have noticed people seem to think they can ride my *** or get closer in the crosstrek than in my F150, either that, or I just didn't notice them as much in the truck. One reason I hate being lower to the ground. Tons of trucks up here in Montana and they all want to drive like idiots.

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
4,621 Posts
Welcome, from one Montanan to another! I spend a good part of my summers up your way, so look for a Subaru wave from me ... ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi all, I got this a couple weeks ago and decided to lurk on the forums for some information about mods. Well, here it is:

View attachment 305326

2" front, 1.5" rear
225/75R15 Toyo Open Country AT3's
Black Rhino Boxer B's (15x7)
Rek Gen mud flaps

Not so important things:
A new VIOFO A139 3 channel (I would have waited for the pro - 4k - version but this'll do)

Coming up:
LED conversions all around
Diode Dynamic fog lights
Rear bumper reflector covers
Darker than dark window tint all around

I don't plan on doing much else, because I can't afford to do most of the cool stuff, but a 5th wheel mount will be a must for me. I have not decided if that means a rear mount or a roof rack. I can't afford both, but I sure do want both. I truly wish I could afford the underbody protection too, but I know that'll never happen. I think a roof rack would be more practical and better for weight distribution, so that's probably the route I will go. That will come after window tine (next mod) and the lights. if anyone knows of a good quality spare tire cover and mount for a roof rack I am open to suggestions. The roof rack I am looking at is here: Roof Rack

Overall, happy so far. Coming from a 5.4L Ford (yea... the notorious 5.4 - nuff said), so it's definitely different. But the lift has helped me not hitting my head everytime I climb in and out and the smaller interior I have managed to make due with although the cup holder situation is pretty terrible tbh, and the glossy bezel around the dash screen is more than likely going to be ripped out and painted matte because it shows every single spec of dirt. Other than that, I love the $40 fuel up and still getting 400+ miles per tank, where as my old truck got an $80 fill up and 340 (if I was lucky) to the tank. Mmmm... savings.

So, everything is under warranty meaning they want to see proof of oil changes, and will change my oil the first time and want it back every 5th time to do inspections and such, but I am just curious what oil everyone is rocking? I am pretty picky. I will only use WIX (or nappa gold) filters and I was also wondering if anyone has a magnetic drain plug or knows what size fits.

Nice to meet you all!
Nice car. Do you have any photos of how much the tires stick out?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can take some for you tomorrow!

I'll take front and rear and try for some top down angles. It's not much though. Well under 1". I can even show you the spread on the mudflaps where it stops. My flaps are about 70 percent all the way out in the front, and 60% out on the rear. I thought they looked goofy all the way out.

This also depends on your rim offset, and the Boxer B's are +15. I like the aggressive look without going overboard. Moderation is key ;)

Pics will follow.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek / 1968 VW Beetle
15 Posts
Congrats and welcome! I just picked up a white 2021 as well, and have methods and BFG's ready to go on from my previous lifted Forester. Loving how yours is looking so far!

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
4,621 Posts
Will do! In the flathead daily! Tons of subies up here, but I'll keep my eyes open. Isn't there a thread for just pics? I swear I found it once but can't seem to navigate here very well yet.
There's a whole sub-forum just for pictures ... no shortage of places to post them!

I'm mostly in the backcountry, out towards the Bob, but I do need to get into town once in a while for supplies. ;)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There's a whole sub-forum just for pictures ... no shortage of places to post them!

I'm mostly in the backcountry, out towards the Bob, but I do need to get into town once in a while for supplies. ;)
Thanks, I found it!

...and I forgot to take pics of how much the wheel protrude. Raining today and had a busy day at work. I will get them though... soon.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Did some undercoating today. Nothing too fancy, just rattle can.

I also bought some yellow spray to coat the fog lights, which I will do next oil change when I have it on the ramps. Maybe then I will do some more undercoating too. Just FYI, for all you 2021 owners, there is no way to remove the fog light covers without going from behind and under the bumper anymore. The videos I watched covered 18-20 models, and now they added a screw to hold it in. One of those plastic clips. But you have to remove the plastic liners in the bottom and then you can access it easily.

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrid
641 Posts
Back to your original post for oil, I've been using Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra Platinum 0W-20. Depends on pricing and if it's in stock. I've been using it since 2015 in my Subaru Legacy and I haven't had any issues with consumption.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Back to your original post for oil, I've been using Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra Platinum 0W-20. Depends on pricing and if it's in stock. I've been using it since 2015 in my Subaru Legacy and I haven't had any issues with consumption.
Perfect. I love that oil especially for the price. Ultra plat seems to be only available online now days. I still have some 0w-20 left over from my FORD that I stocked up on for winter changes. Only 2 gallons, but I saw the price going crazy and it going out of stock so I figured wth... why not.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Today I put the Subie emblems on my Boxer B's.

I do like them, but not sure if I will keep them on there. I may end up selling the stock rims and tires and since I am honest, I'll play nice and include the hub center caps ;)

I also installed my coin holder where the fuse box is, a rubber mat above the onscreen dash portion, and a two tier system in the arm rest storage.

Little subtle details. It keeps me busy.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts