Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here done the 130-140 mile Mojave Road run? We were contemplating a multi-day run across there but I haven't been able to find too much solid information about what to expect.

Reactions: GeneralRap

·
Registered
699 Posts
I've been thinking about it since I went to Utah last year.

So far, this $30 book seems like it'd be the best source for solid info. Probably not a bad investment if you choose to do it.

Mojave Road Guide - Dennis G Casebier - DesertUSA Store

I mostly haven't planned a trip for the wife and I since I wouldn't want to do it solo; with a trail that long, it'd be unwise to go without a second vehicle.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree, that's too long to go as a solo run. And it would probably be more fun with a group. I've been eyeing that book as well. Seems like it's "the" source for the trip. Hmm..that could be an epic subie group ride!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Heck yeah!

I'd be totally down to do it. Maybe in the fall when the temperatures start dropping?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like something to consider. My largest concern is the terrain. I'm not sure what parts would be okay and not. It's hard to find a start-to-finish assessment of the road.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I think it'll be a relatively simple trail for a XV, with maybe 1-5% of the terrain falling under the "creative driving" category.

Or at least, that's what I'm gathering from reading up on it right now.

If I ever do get serious about wanting to do it, I'd happily drop that 30 bucks.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My research seems to jive with yours.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, that's the kind of good info I've been looking for. Thanks, azxtrek.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Nice! Did you do it on a bike?

Sounds like a fun trip on an enduro.
No, I have an adventure riding group, big bike though, like BMW 1200GS's or KTM 950/1190's, anything bigger than a 650. I was thinking of doing it for the group but the 2 buddies went out in the Jeep and Xterra scouting it and said it was too sandy for the big bikes (for average riders), and then a buddy with a KLR650 went out right after that and said the same. Not BBF (big bike friendly). But I want to get out there I heard the government is wanting to shut that area down for off road travel. I've been through Joshua tree on Geology Tour Rd down through Berdoo Canyon Rd to Indio area but that's too rough for a Subaroo, some drop offs lots of water damage through the canyon. Really want to go out to Borrego.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this post is a little old now, but wanted to chime in. I've spent a good amount of time on the Mojave Rd. It's a great trail. It can be done start to finish in 2 days, but really best to give yourself 3, so you can take in all the sights.

I would definitely not do this drive solo in a Crosstrek. With a couple other vehicles, you would probably be ok. There will be a few sections that the Crosstrek will be challenged. If the weather has been wet out there at all before you go, check in with the rangers before attempting. Sections can get washed out and tricky even for well built offroaders. Also, don't cross Soda Lake after any precipitation, no matter what you're driving. After that you get into deep sand that may cause some havoc too. And of course, at the end there are a pair of water crossings.

Personally I wouldn't go past Kelbaker Rd in my Crosstrek, but for everything prior to that, it should perform well.

I'm sure it goes without saying, but make sure you have plenty of food, water, and recovery gear. You may not need it, but someone else might.

If you decide to go I'd love to hear how it went. If you need a second vehicle to go along, just say the word.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I think this trail would be a blast. Might take some coaxing of the wife, but let me know if you guys decide to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am planning on doing a 3 day trip in my Brat down this road late Sept with a buddy that has a Toyota truck. Anyone is welcome to join us. Right now both he and I are working on our Overlanding set ups as well as making some more modifications to our vehicles. I don't want any crazy issues out there I can trail fix.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Provided my college classes allow it, I think we're down for this. Could use whatever details you've got handy.

Reactions: iluvdrt

·
Registered
90 Posts
We got a date. Oct 7-9 (10) is what we are planning. So far I have 1 Toyota truck, and a International scout signed up. 3 days and 2 nights leaving early Friday the 7th returning on Sunday evening the 9th....possibly the 10th (extra day for ins). We will travel it West to East starting off at the Afton Canyon campground and ending up at 95.

Anyone that wants to go is welcomed. From what I have read a full size spare is very necessary as flats regularly occur. Other items like recovery gear, skids, shovels, sand ramps, tools, and parts are recommended aside from your normal desert camping things (water, tent, whiskey, etc). Based off interest and as time gets closer Ill make an official thread outlining all of the details.

·
Registered
7 Posts
bumping an old post I had checked out before setting out on this road. I just completed the Mojave road from Barstow to the Colorado river just outside Laughlin over 3 nights, 2 days of driving. Did some off trail exploring, only got sketchy in one place on a rocky downhill decent that had some signs of water washing out the trail. We just filled in crevasses with some 2x6s and some firewood and I made it through the toughest part of the trail relatively easily. It was a little stressful on that one descent and there was sign right before the descent that said it was a hard part for 4x4s, proceed with caution or use a detour. I would definitely not recommend going down that stretch alone or as a less experienced driver and bypass with the detour.

My Crosstrek is stock ride height with general grabber tires on sparco terras. I never got stuck, never backed up, and had a fully loaded car with the roof rack piled up as I had my wife and dog with me and dog gets most of the folded down back seat. Alot of times I just had to ride the sidewall and the spot that passes between most lifted cars tires. The car handled amazingly on the sand and rocks, just pressured down to about 20 psi and the rest was gravy. I have a pop tent that extends off the tailgate while I leave it open and sleep on an air mattress in the back of the Crosstrek.

Gotta plug Luno air mattresses here, by far the most comfortable and relaxing sleep I've gotten on the road in some harsh weather. The night before we started the trail we camped out at Afton Canyon Campground but there was no real wind cover so keeping a tent up in the high wind i wasn't even going to bother playing with. The Luno mattress makes it so you can lay flat with the tailgate closed completely eliminating the wind (I'm just under 6' 3"). The wife and I hunkered down in the back with the dog and despite mother nature telling us to kindle f**k off with her wind greeting, we slept great and hit the trail with plenty of daylight and drive time to find a camp site with more wind protection. There's loads of spots to just pull off the road and camp, but also a bunch of places with hill/mountain cover which make the camping experience both comfortable and beautiful.

Our group consisted of my Crosstrek, a pretty modded jeep, and a stock GMC truck with 4WD and some larger tires. Definitely going to do the trail again with another added day for more exploring/sight seeing. Could not recommend this drive enough with a group.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts