Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

381 - 385 of 385 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, 12-15% is normal. I can't believe that's accidental...
Same here. Subaru apparently thinks most people don’t know that miles driven divided by gallons put in tank = real mpg. My computer is set to be about 15% higher than reality. I know how to squeeze every mile from a gallon having had 2 hybrids. Thankfully I shop at a grocery store that gives me up to $1.00 off a gallon of gas each month. It takes away some of the pain of the bad mileage my 2019 Crosstrek Limited gets. Otherwise, i really, really like the car!! (enthusiasm exaggerated by 20%)

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Every vehicle I’ve ever owned/driven/been a passenger in that has an MPG readout has been optimistic. It’s not a Subaru thing. My Ford Fiesta often told me I was getting 42, in reality I was getting somewhere between 33 and 36, depending on conditions.

I don’t think it’s nefarious, I just don’t think the computer can accurately simulate the real world conditions. I read somewhere that the instantaneous readouts are basically fancy throttle position gauges, and the average readout just takes an average of that. So it thinks you should be using X amount of gas for a 25% throttle, when in reality, there’s a slight incline, so you are using Y gas to achieve the same acceleration.

I do find the miles to empty to be pretty accurate for me, and that’s good enough for me. I do dumb things with my Crosstrek that kill the mpg anyways. A vehicle rated for 33mpg is getting 23, but it’s entirely my fault. Roof rack, lift, AT’s, bumpers, weight carried, etc. it’s all on me. When I FIRST got the vehicle, I could easily get the rated 33mpg (calculated at the pump) and could SQUEEZE up to 36mpg out of it if I really tried. I can still get 26mpg if I take my roof rack off. But I’m lazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
13 Posts
I get anywhere from 550KM to 600KM (341 - 372 Miles) on a tank of gas. And I should note 99% of this is inner city driving - not highway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What I'm posting here will probably be contentious, but can I ask why there's so much flack against the on-board MPG reading here?

I understand there may be objections as to the accuracy of the vehicle's readout, but is it incorrect to say that most if not all Crosstrek on-board MPG readouts are based the same algorithm?

With all the factors that come into play when we manually calculate MPG (type of nozzle, fuel density, human error, etc), wouldn't it remove alot of variation if we stick with the on-board reading?

Just a curious newbie here.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
If it were a case of so many factors and variation both in the algotirhm and calculating manually, I would expect to see a normal distribution, with some folks calculating more mpg than the reading, some folks less and most around the middle. However, everyone who's done it, using fuelly or whatever (I just used a spreadsheet with mileage and fuel pumped) has found that the car over-reports by 10-15%. Ours is about 12% on average. That's why I think it's intentional, so make us think we're getting better mileage than we actually are.

381 - 385 of 385 Posts