Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

361 - 380 of 385 Posts

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
Just got home from Big Bear. We filled up after descending down the mountain (from 6,700ft to 1,300ft) and got the 900 mile range, LOL. Then two hours of gradual descent on the freeways to Santa Monica. The Exaggerometer almost got to 40 mpg but we hit some traffic at the end and it finished about 38 mpg. So that's probably the 33mpg highway, in reality, as advertised.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Just got home from Big Bear. We filled up after descending down the mountain (from 6,700ft to 1,300ft) and got the 900 mile range, LOL. Then two hours of gradual descent on the freeways to Santa Monica. The Exaggerometer almost got to 40 mpg but we hit some traffic at the end and it finished about 38 mpg. So that's probably the 33mpg highway, in reality, as advertised.
Go fill up! Curious what the real numbers are with all that downhill. I’m averaging 29.x on my commute, but it’s a climb going home where the tac sits at 3K for miles and miles.

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
Go fill up! Curious what the real numbers are with all that downhill. I’m averaging 29.x on my commute, but it’s a climb going home where the tac sits at 3K for miles and miles.
Ha, ha, it did cross my mind. Maybe I will today when I go get the battery tested... :icon_rolleyes:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I keep track of actual mpg myself and after ~21k miles since buying the car in April my numbers are:

Min: 29
Avg: 33
Max: 36

As many have already pointed out, the on-board mpg is always higher. I mainly drive highway (90 mi/day).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 CVT, with 24,000 miles and averaging 26.0 MPG.
Most of my driving in in town, with occasional Interstate driving.
I've found that the car really needs to be in its sweet spot of 45 to 60 MPH to get good mileage (it will do mid 30s, sometimes upper 30s, in that range).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Based on my experience, my Trek’s computer mpg readout averages 12% higher than actual / manually calculated mpg.

That’s notably worse / higher than our Forester’s computer mpg readout which overstates mpg by an average of 7%.

I now understand the reference to the Crosstrek’s “exaggometer” (sp.?) I first read about in this forum.

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
Based on my experience, my Trek’s computer mpg readout averages 12% higher than actual / manually calculated mpg.

That’s notably worse / higher than our Forester’s computer mpg readout which overstates mpg by an average of 7%.

I now understand the reference to the Crosstrek’s “exaggometer” (sp.?) I first read about in this forum.
Yeah, 12-15% is normal. I can't believe that's accidental...

·
Registered
598 Posts
Filled up on Saturday with premium gas before driving to Madison and back w/light load. Exaggerometer hit 46.9 @ 76*F (~24*C) and coming home into pneumonia front head wind @ 57*F (~14*C) got 42.4, at 70 mph (~112 km/hr), which is definitely above my norm with regular gas. Didn't get on it to check for any difference in performance though. Will have to see how tank ends up when I hand calc it at fill up. Wanted to see if it would make any difference in total miles on a tank for longer trips.

artosa

·
Registered
830 Posts
Took a trip to Maine couple weeks ago with a return through New Hampshire and Vermont. 30mpg average. Still not loving the mpg on this car.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #371
The warmer weather is kind to my gas mileage. For the past 2 months I have been getting a calculated 28-30 mpg with the AC on and 90% city driving. During winter months i get 2-3 mpg less than that. So no gripes at my end!.....

:smileyvault-img:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
The warmer weather is kind to my gas mileage. For the past 2 months I have been getting a calculated 28-30 mpg with the AC on and 90% city driving. During winter months i get 2-3 mpg less than that. So no gripes at my end!.....
:smileyvault-img:
Obviously you are not using CA gas...:eusa_clap:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Wife just took the new Crosstrek to Phoenix and back today via 1-19 and I-10, mostly at 75mph. When she got home the mpg calculator indicated 35.5 mpg for this 266 mile round trip.

·
Registered
426 Posts
In reality that's maybe 33 mpg at best if you had calculated it.
I haven't done a manual calculation yet on the new Crosstrek, but know from having two Foresters that Subaru's mpg is about 2.0 mpg overstated on the computer calculator. I read somewhere (either here or the Forester forum) that a dealer can adjust, in 5% increments, how the computer calculates mpg.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Up at altitude, I've never seen the really high numbers. I did notice that when my trip odometer rolled over (at 10K miles), the mileage indicator reset itself.

My daily commute involves about half driving 55-65 on a mostly flat divided highway. The numbers have been steadily creeping up and my exaggerometer now reads 30.9.

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
Up at altitude, I've never seen the really high numbers. I did notice that when my trip odometer rolled over (at 10K miles), the mileage indicator reset itself.

My daily commute involves about half driving 55-65 on a mostly flat divided highway. The numbers have been steadily creeping up and my exaggerometer now reads 30.9.
We're taking two Crosstreks to Mammoth at the end of July (a '18 and a '19) where the density altitude will likely be 13K so, if I can remember, I'll do an experiment on both of them... :D

·
Registered
227 Posts
We're taking two Crosstreks to Mammoth at the end of July (a '18 and a '19) where the density altitude will likely be 13K so, if I can remember, I'll do an experiment on both of them... :D
I have driven out to the low elevation flatlands a couple of times now. I can tell you that my seat-of-the-pants meter does register that it makes a little bit more power at <1,000 ft elevation than it does around 6,000 ft.

361 - 380 of 385 Posts