Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

341 - 360 of 385 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
As a daily driver in the suburbs, I spend little to no time in the city (Philly) but there’s a some traffic on the main roads to work (202 & 95) into Delaware. I don’t track city/highway on the app.

I get 1-2mpg bumps on a tank when I take trips to the shore.

I probably could squeeze more out of my average but I’m happy with it:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
133 Posts
By the way, I've noticed on my road trips, mpg is worse with the ACC. When I've used it, I get about 29-30 mpg. With it's off, I get 31-33 mpg on the trip.

I think it's because I'll coast when going downhill...even slight declines.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
By the way, I've noticed on my road trips, mpg is worse with the ACC. When I've used it, I get about 29-30 mpg. With it's off, I get 31-33 mpg on the trip.

I think it's because I'll coast when going downhill...even slight declines.
Interesting...

I think I'll take that hit for the convenience of using ACC. We don't put a lot of miles on our cars (it will be a year next month and we're only just over 7K) so one or two mpg isn't a major problem.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Interesting...

I think I'll take that hit for the convenience of using ACC. We don't put a lot of miles on our cars (it will be a year next month and we're only just over 7K) so one or two mpg isn't a major problem.

7k in 11 months... damn that's a lot of miles.... :sarcasm:

I'm under 15k in 26 months. And 20% of that happened in the past 3 weeks.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Interesting...

Yeah....it hasn't stopped me from using the ACC, which I also enjoy using. Especially on that long stretch of the 5 where it's nearly straight for about 3.5 hrs.

·
Registered
217 Posts
That's amazing over such a long distance. I'm not interested in hypermiling but I'm really puzzled why the mileage reports are so vastly different. As I wrote in the previous paragraph said:
I think the elevation through the Rockies has something to do with the great numbers...all confirmed by grade three arithmetic with pencil on paper. Almost all the trip is above 2000ft with the highest elevation being Banff at 4500ft. Also it was summer with the AC on while on the ACC at 115kph but there was lots of construction that slowed the pace down to 50kph and even 30kph in some spots. With that said I was amazed at the numbers.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I hit 23k miles at the one year mark!

Some people do. I have a stunningly short commute to work. So the miles add up slowly. Nearly half the miles on the car have been the 3 vacations I've taken with it. And it is used almost every day.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I think the elevation through the Rockies has something to do with the great numbers...all confirmed by grade three arithmetic with pencil on paper. Almost all the trip is above 2000ft with the highest elevation being Banff at 4500ft. Also it was summer with the AC on while on the ACC at 115kph but there was lots of construction that slowed the pace down to 50kph and even 30kph in some spots. With that said I was amazed at the numbers.
I guess if a lot of the driving was at a high elevation and engine was running lean, and not too much up and down, it could account for the better mileage. The figures I quoted for the flat highway driving were both in the California Central Valley, around 300ft MSL.

Our average for the trip, calculated, was 27.0 mpg and the Exaggerometer said 29.8...

·
Registered
217 Posts
The figures I quoted for the flat highway driving were both in the California Central Valley, around 300ft MSL.
Mean sea level (MSL) (often shortened to sea level) is an average level of the surface of one or more of Earth's oceans from which heights such as elevation may be measured. MSL is a type of vertical datum – a standardised geodetic reference system – that is used, for example, as a chart datum in cartography and marine navigation, or, in aviation, as the standard sea level at which atmospheric pressure is measured to calibrate altitude and, consequently, aircraft flight levels. A common and relatively straightforward mean sea-level standard is the midpoint between a mean low and mean high tide at a particular location.[1]

You can get a pilot or sailor out of the cockpit but you can't get.....
I also spent time with my brother in his ancient 150 but his gauges were never "flaky". Quite the opposite...he made sure of that. He was also a sailor.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Mean sea level (MSL) (often shortened to sea level) is an average level of the surface of one or more of Earth's oceans from which heights such as elevation may be measured. MSL is a type of vertical datum – a standardised geodetic reference system – that is used, for example, as a chart datum in cartography and marine navigation, or, in aviation, as the standard sea level at which atmospheric pressure is measured to calibrate altitude and, consequently, aircraft flight levels. A common and relatively straightforward mean sea-level standard is the midpoint between a mean low and mean high tide at a particular location.[1]

You can get a pilot or sailor out of the cockpit but you can't get.....
I also spent time with my brother in his ancient 150 but his gauges were never "flaky". Quite the opposite...he made sure of that. He was also a sailor.
Not sure what points you're making. By "300ft MSL" I meant that most of the valley floor is about 300ft above sea level. AGL would make no sense in this context (until there's a flying Crosstrek, LOL).

When I was racking up hours I didn't have the luxury of my own 150 and had to rent one. It was a good deal at $10/hr dry but spartan.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Greetings from Latvia!

We tend to think in litres/100km and XVs, rather than MPGs and Crosstreks, and my wife and I have only had the car for about 2.5 months, but...

Before switching to winter tyres, we got 33.6 MPG (computer) and 32.2 (actual). After switching to winter tyres we get 30.5 (computer) and 29 (actual). So, in our case the discrepancy between what the car says and what the engine actually consumes is roughly 1.5 MPG. I reckon it's 75% highway and 25% city.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #353 (Edited)
^^^^^^WELCOME by golly!! I noticed how you spelled "tyre" for "tire". How do you spell "color" and "labor"? Is your spelling Americanized or do you camp with our beloved Canadians? :eek::wink:

:eek:ccasion14:

BTW I think that it's great that you used an existing thread for your issue rather than starting a new one. We encourage thread subject continuity. :eusa_clap:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Greetings from Latvia!

Before switching to winter tyres, we got 33.6 MPG (computer) and 32.2 (actual). After switching to winter tyres we get 30.5 (computer) and 29 (actual). So, in our case the discrepancy between what the car says and what the engine actually consumes is roughly 1.5 MPG. I reckon it's 75% highway and 25% city.
We get so-called winter fuel here, in the Northeastern US, which has a higher content of ethanol and that makes my MPG go way low on cold, wintry days. When I use my '18 Premium on a short 10-15 miles stretches the avg is about 24MPG, that's what a cold engine does. I'm trying to warm-up the engine faster by partially blocking the bottom grille and I think it helps plus, it does help maintaining an optimal engine temperature for better fuel combustion. I use Torque app on my phone to see what's going on in the engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
^^^^^^WELCOME by golly!! I noticed how you spelled "tyre" for "tire". How do you spell "color" and "labor"? Is your spelling Americanized or do you camp with our beloved Canadians? :eek::wink:

:eek:ccasion14:

BTW I think that it's great that you used an existing thread for your issue rather than starting a new one. We encourage thread subject continuity. :eusa_clap:
Really depends on where you studied. Technically, we are taught British English, though most Latvians probably learn English by watching TV shows.

Also, I was quite surprised to find out that US-made Crosstreks get worse fuel economy than Japanese-made XVs. Well, officially at least. If I understand correctly, you get 33 highway MPG. In Latvia, for example, we get ~33.5 MPG combined and ~39 MPG highway. We got 37.9 (computer) on one of our trips. I'm assuming that 1 mile = 1.609km and 1 gallon = 3.785l.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Perhaps our pollution controls on the vehicle are different. I've gotten as high as 42.3 mpg on the Exaggerometer (computer), but actual was 35.5. The difference between computer and actual on my car ranges from 2.5 to about 6.8 mpg.

artosa

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Really depends on where you studied. Technically, we are taught British English, though most Latvians probably learn English by watching TV shows.

Also, I was quite surprised to find out that US-made Crosstreks get worse fuel economy than Japanese-made XVs. Well, officially at least. If I understand correctly, you get 33 highway MPG. In Latvia, for example, we get ~33.5 MPG combined and ~39 MPG highway. We got 37.9 (computer) on one of our trips. I'm assuming that 1 mile = 1.609km and 1 gallon = 3.785l.
Which engine do you have? I know that EU also sells the 1.6 in the Crosstrek.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the 2.0. The dealer said that we would probably get around 32-30 mpg, which turned out to be true.
The 1.6 is supposed to be even more efficient (36.7 mpg combined), but my car-savvy friends were adamant that the smaller engine is simply not adequate for driving on highways on a regular basis.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Update: on our 2018 Limited now around 4000 mi (total); we're seeing 30.1 mpg on 85-90% interstate miles. I toot around town only a few miles at a time, walk mostly, so the mileage reflects that.

341 - 360 of 385 Posts