Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 385 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've logged just over 1800 miles since I bought the crosstrek on Aug 19. My mpg at this point in time is reading 35.6. About 1200 miles has been on the freeway with the remaining as city driving. I've used the AC maybe 1/3 of the time. The highest reading I have is 41 mpg on strictly freeway. I'm easy on the gas pedal but have no power issues whatsoever.:grin:

How are y'all doing?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
:thumbs_up:

I'm getting much better than Subaru's advertised mileage. 28.8 mixed driving. 35 on the interstate. I've seen it as high as 40 but that's just for short stretches. This is over about 2000 miles.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The real question is: is this what the car is reporting, or are you keeping track separately? I've always found the onboard computer's idea of fuel economy to be quite optimistic. My 2018 tells me I'm averaging about 36 mpg, my computed results have it more like 33.5, combined driving including a daily 80 mile round trip commute with mixed highway and stop-and-go traffic. I've got just over 3600 miles on the car in just over 4 weeks. I anticipate as it wears in a bit more the economy will creep up just a bit more. In any case, I'm satisfied as this number is higher than the high-end economy numbers and is well on the way to what the Impreza wagon is rated.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
What the car reports and actual typically differ.
Mine reports 32.8. Actual is 30

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I have not put too many miles on the car since I got it (under 200) and have not filled it up yet, but these numbers are sounding good to me! Hoping to have the car back by this weekend (been in the shop getting clear bra).

Another thing I would like to know from those who have reported already, are you in the CVT or 6-speed?

Agreed that almost all on board systems inflate the actual MPG. I always reset the trip ODO every time I fill up, then divide that number of miles by the number of gallons I put in.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Actually a very easy way to track your mileage is through Fuelly or similar site. Takes maybe five minutes at most to set up. After that, each time you fuel up, just write your odometer reading on your receipt and next time your on the web, enter your odometer reading and gallons used from the receipt. You can track it on forums like this automatically. Easy peasy :)

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Using Fuelly (Gas Buddy) as well Pastor Passum. Great app. You can also use it on your pc.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Calculating by manually is also subject to error, since there is variability when the gas pump stops. On the other hand the car's processor knows how much gas goes through the fuel injectors and the amount of miles traveled. I suppose the firmware could be "fudging" the number.

·
Registered
34 Posts
my18 XV CVT, my readout is a tad optimistic as well.
My calcs from last fill show 8.25 l / 100km ( 28.5 US mpg ) and the car shows 7.9 ( 29.8 US mpg ), so about 5% optimistic,
mainly city with some hilly sections, I'll have to keep a closer track of this. 4000Km / 2500 Mi

·
Registered
69 Posts
In terms of displayed/actual..first two tanks were slower back roads and some easy going trails with a roof box, the second two were mostly 80+ freeway runs, also with the roof box.

Tank 1: 30.9/31.8
Tank 2: 37.8/31.9
Tank 3: 31.2/27.9
Tank 4: 31.1/28.0

·
Registered
11 Posts
I live in a hilly area, but combined is about 29 mpg. Highway is more like 35. On a fresh tank of gas, I did a 121 mile roadtrip and did not even use a quarter tank of gas by a decent margin including about 20 mins of stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Ive had mine since July.
I get ... around 8L/100km on the freeway .. which I think is fairly poor.
That's 35mpg according to unit converter on the internet.

That's with G012 Yokos and no further mods.

·
Registered
481 Posts
With 20K+ miles on the clock Fuelly app says my best was 32.7 mpg and I'm averaging 29.4 (60/40 city/hiway). I gave up on the dash readout. Always 2+/- off.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
My new Crosstrek (on order) will be replacing my 29L/100km (avg city driving) Chevy Avalanche (8.1L engine). So am very much looking forward to 8, 9 or whatever L/100km with the Crosstrek!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Calculating by manually is also subject to error, since there is variability when the gas pump stops. On the other hand the car's processor knows how much gas goes through the fuel injectors and the amount of miles traveled. I suppose the firmware could be "fudging" the number.
That would explain singular irregularities but the average over many fill-ups will tend to diminish the effect of individual pumps shutting off at different points.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, this morning I validated the mpg's reading on the car computer. Over 355 miles mixed driving (2/3 freeway, few inclines, smooth roads, easy gas pedal) the computer read 36.6 mpg. Actual calculated to be 32.2 mpg. But according the XTrekin study above, it wouldn't be accurate to automatically subtract 4 mpg from whatever the computer read. I'll just occasionally do spot checks.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Does it not also depend on if or how much ethanol is in the gasoline? My understanding is that more alcohol will decrease fuel mileage. Maybe the Subaru spec is based on straight gasoline.

1 - 20 of 385 Posts