Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Premium 6 speed
28 Posts
I have a 2019 premium manual, 38,000 miles on the odo. We live at 5100 feet altitude. We get 25.5-26.5 on the, as Lonelydriver so eloquently put it, exaggerometer. We also take a once a week trip to our other house (260 miles round trip) in the lowlands (700 ft) and get about 31.5 MPG with the majority of the trip at 75+ on the interstate.

·
Banned
2021 Crosstrek Premium 2.0 CVT
475 Posts
You must be driving about 99% highway/1% city.

In city-only, very low miles per trip (frequently only about a mile each way), I'm getting about 20-ish mpg calculated by hand. Mostly highway per tank and I'm getting as much as 34-ish, same method. I live at about 3,000' altitude. 2019 Limited. And I do use hypermiling tricks as much as possible. I have noticed that AC use in the summer and heater use in the winter really do have a noticeable negative effect on mileage, especially the AC.
I’m driving about 40% of the time over 55mph. The other 60% is city stop and go or winding hilly country roads under 55 because of hills and turns.

I hypermile, don’t rush to getup to the speed limit, and coast a lot, even if it means losing 5-10mph of speed.

I do use windows over AC often in the summer but I also do utilize the heat in the winter. I’ve only seen about a 1.3mpg difference between using AC and not.

I live and drive in areas ranging from 300ft to 4,000ft above sea level, here in the mountains.

it’s usually my wife and I in the car - so not just the driver, and I weigh 300lbs alone, so it’s not like the car is empty.

I think everyone has different ideas of what conservative driving methods look like… I’m probably more thorough than the majority it would seem, seeing as I have no trouble getting over 40mpg in the summer months. With 8k on the odometer trip A and one year of seasons (entering into its second winter now) the lifetime fuel economy average is 37.6mpg.

fuel economy has a lot more to do with driver habits than anything else. The right driver can make a f350 get 20mpg.

·
Registered
7 Posts
According to Car and Driver magazine... [2023 models tested]

"The Crosstrek is among the most fuel efficient subcompact crossovers, with not only great EPA fuel-economy ratings but also some of the best results in our real-world testing. The Crosstrek's 2.0-liter engine and continuously variable automatic transmission (CVT) may be lethargic, but they’re easy on fuel, with an EPA rating 28 mpg city and 33 mpg highway. The manual-transmission comes with sizable drops to 22 and 29 mpg, respectively. The 2.5-liter engine-and- CVT are rated at 27 mpg city and 34 highway. On our 75-mph fuel-economy route, which is part of our extensive testing regimen, the automatic-equipped 2.0-liter delivered an impressive 32 mpg; the manual also impressed with a 31 mpg result. The hybrid model is rated at up to 90 MPGe combined and 35 mpg on the highway, but we managed only 30 mpg in our testing"

Have you ever done the math on what mpg's your Crosstrek is ACTUALLY getting?
[and not relying on the car's computer readout]

What are you getting? [Please let me know if it's a CVT of 6MT]

I have a 2016 5 speed manual and I drive about 25k miles per year. I get 27 mpg and I typically drive at about 75-80 mph on the freeway.
I do not think it’s fair to call a Crosstrek a SUV. It should be compared with hatchbacks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
According to Car and Driver magazine... [2023 models tested]

"The Crosstrek is among the most fuel efficient subcompact crossovers, with not only great EPA fuel-economy ratings but also some of the best results in our real-world testing. The Crosstrek's 2.0-liter engine and continuously variable automatic transmission (CVT) may be lethargic, but they’re easy on fuel, with an EPA rating 28 mpg city and 33 mpg highway. The manual-transmission comes with sizable drops to 22 and 29 mpg, respectively. The 2.5-liter engine-and- CVT are rated at 27 mpg city and 34 highway. On our 75-mph fuel-economy route, which is part of our extensive testing regimen, the automatic-equipped 2.0-liter delivered an impressive 32 mpg; the manual also impressed with a 31 mpg result. The hybrid model is rated at up to 90 MPGe combined and 35 mpg on the highway, but we managed only 30 mpg in our testing"

Have you ever done the math on what mpg's your Crosstrek is ACTUALLY getting?
[and not relying on the car's computer readout]

What are you getting? [Please let me know if it's a CVT of 6MT]

My 18 Limited when I drive in the winter to and from work over a small mountain it says 17 mpg on the computer. Same trip in the summer is 25 mpg. Driving around say driving on the interstate I usually get around 31-32. When I get to southern PA, and into Delaware it flattens out, and I saw the highest ever at 37.8 mpg. The 2.0 liter isn't powerful enough on big hills / mountains, and really hurts my mileage. My older Acura V6 with a 3.2 liter I averaged 19 on the same mountain areas in the winter.

·
Three-pedal evangelist
2020 Premium 6MT
1,574 Posts
OK, I'll play!

When my 2020 6MT Crosstrek was fairly new and broken in, I logged info for about 5000 miles. It was a mix of highway and rural/suburban roads daily driving. I averaged 29.0mpg actual while my "exaggerometer" averaged 29.5mpg, so the computer was only 0.5mpg high.

I really don't like the categorization of highway and city. What defines "highway" or "city" driving? Not sure what the EPA uses in their tests now, but I know that back in the 1970's, they came under fire for the highly elevated highway figures because they were using 48mph for their highway testing.

As evidenced in this weekend's Thanksgiving weekend traffic slowing down flow in general, I had the best overall mileage ever - around 31-32mpg for the last two tankfulls which I credit being forced to drive around 60-65mph for most of the trip with occasional slowdowns to 30-40mph. And this was with snow tires installed! Kayak racks have been removed for the winter.

On trips where I can set cruise between 70 and 75mph, I usually average 28-29mpg. On rural roads where my speed is anywhere between 40 and 60, I can usually get into the low 30's.

Kayak racks reduce my gas mileage a bit. Kayaks on those rack reduce my gas mileage by A LOT where I'm lucky to get 25mpg highway! I remove the racks from October to April.

As the saying goes..............YMMV.

Reactions: CanadaCraig
21 - 27 of 27 Posts