Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to Car and Driver magazine... [2023 models tested]

"The Crosstrek is among the most fuel efficient subcompact crossovers, with not only great EPA fuel-economy ratings but also some of the best results in our real-world testing. The Crosstrek's 2.0-liter engine and continuously variable automatic transmission (CVT) may be lethargic, but they’re easy on fuel, with an EPA rating 28 mpg city and 33 mpg highway. The manual-transmission comes with sizable drops to 22 and 29 mpg, respectively. The 2.5-liter engine-and- CVT are rated at 27 mpg city and 34 highway. On our 75-mph fuel-economy route, which is part of our extensive testing regimen, the automatic-equipped 2.0-liter delivered an impressive 32 mpg; the manual also impressed with a 31 mpg result. The hybrid model is rated at up to 90 MPGe combined and 35 mpg on the highway, but we managed only 30 mpg in our testing"

Have you ever done the math on what mpg's your Crosstrek is ACTUALLY getting?
[and not relying on the car's computer readout]

What are you getting? [Please let me know if it's a CVT of 6MT]

·
Registered
2023 Dark Blue Pearl Crosstrek Sport with Eyesight, CVT
404 Posts
My 2020 Sport with CVT provided an average 7.3 liters per 100 km over the 2 1/2 years and 49000km while I owned it. There is a considerable variation in mileage depending on city or highway driving. This mpg reading was not from the car's computer but by using the Fuelly App.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Highway RPM is at least 1k less with CVT as observed on wife's Outback vs my MT Crosstrek. I average 30 mpg overall on the Crosstrek vs 35mpg on cvt Outback. MT needs 6th gear overdrive since ratio is too close to 5th gear.

·
Registered
2022 Canadian Sport trim (6MT // 2.0 )
1,099 Posts
If you want actual stats, umbiased by the unreliable display readings, check here.
Subaru Crosstrek MPG - Actual MPG from 1,627 Subaru Crosstrek owners

Sincce I got mine in July my overall average is 8.50 l/100km (27.7mpg). 6MT, wildpeak trails (now Nokians), no cargo, mostly highways.

PS: for all those reporting meter readings, you are likely off by up to 10%.

·
Banned
2021 Crosstrek Premium 2.0 CVT
475 Posts
Highway RPM is at least 1k less with CVT as observed on wife's Outback vs my MT Crosstrek. I average 30 mpg overall on the Crosstrek vs 35mpg on cvt Outback. MT needs 6th gear overdrive since ratio is too close to 5th gear.
I believe the Outback cvt is the TR690 not the TR580, different cvt transmissions with different ratios when you have a TR690 mated to the 2.5L versus a TR580 mated to a 2.0L. Comparing the Outback 2.5L with TR590 to your manual (or even a cvt) Crosstrek is not a fair comparison.

·
Banned
2021 Crosstrek Premium 2.0 CVT
475 Posts
I have made mention of my fuel economy fairly often here, but I’m averaging 37.6 on the 8,356 miles on the vehicle so far since day one, this is within .2 mpg accuracy with the dash versus hand calculations. I consistently get 38-40 in the warm weather but as winter fuel is here and temps are below freezing, I’m getting more like 33-35.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you want actual stats, umbiased by the unreliable display readings, check here.
Subaru Crosstrek MPG - Actual MPG from 1,627 Subaru Crosstrek owners

Sincce I got mine in July my overall average is 8.50 l/100km (27.7mpg). 6MT, wildpeak trails (now Nokians), no cargo, mostly highways.

PS: for all those reporting meter readings, you are likely off by up to 10%.
Wow. 8.53 l/100km is the lifetime average for my 2010 VW GTI. And that’s Stage 1, with 250-ish HP and me mashing the throttle every chance I get.

I’ll be trading the GTI for a 6MT Crosstrek and was expecting at least somewhat of an improvement. Oh well, at least I won’t be buying premium anymore.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My 2020 Sport with CVT provided an average 7.3 liters per 100 km over the 2 1/2 years and 49000km while I owned it. There is a considerable variation in mileage depending on city or highway driving. This mpg reading was not from the car's computer but by using the Fuelly App.
In US gallons that's 32.22 mpg. In Imperial gallons [the kind I relate to] it's 38.70 mpg's. 👍

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
872 Posts
I've done it a few times, especially when the car was running in a poor state of tune. Early on it was in the low 20's. Now it's gone up to the upper twenties and better with highway mileage. Seemingly here in the PNW, the MPG can be quite weather dependent(IE warmer = better mpg). It's no Toyota Corolla or Nissan Sentra, but mpg is ok.

·
Registered
2023 Crosstrek Sport (Canadian) in Magnetite Gray Metallic
81 Posts
Just hit 9.2L/100km again. I got the '23 Sport (Canadian w/ the 2.0) in October, used the stock tires for mostly stop and go highway commute. Got as low as 7.9L/100km when I took a 1.5 hour highway trip. I then put on winter tires (Nokian R3s), when back to the stop and go commute (worse now cause no one remembered how to drive in the snow), and it's crept back up to 9.2L/100km.

Thing is, I make a point not to accelerate using more than 2500RPM if I can help it, and I drive slower than most when not on the highway. It's only got 2000km though, so maybe it's till slowly getting better. Driving 45 minutes into a 40-60km/h gusty wind on the weekend really didn't help.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
414 Posts
2020 6MT used primarily for road trips from AZ to MN. Once in MN, I drive the car on a mixture of country and small town roads with some occasional highways for nearly five months before heading back to AZ. I get around 31-32 MPG calculated by hand. I've noticed it gets the best mileage at speeds around 60 MPH. When I'm on the Interstate in states with 80 MPH as the speed limit, my mileage suffers but still stays respectable.

On a side-note: the onboard MPG gauge is only about 1 mpg higher than my manual calculations.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru XV 2.0 CVT
5 Posts
I’ve got same cars both CVT and find Outback is slightly more fuel efficient on highways. Especially when I have four people in the car.

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Limited
447 Posts
I have made mention of my fuel economy fairly often here, but I’m averaging 37.6 on the 8,356 miles on the vehicle so far since day one, this is within .2 mpg accuracy with the dash versus hand calculations. I consistently get 38-40 in the warm weather but as winter fuel is here and temps are below freezing, I’m getting more like 33-35.
You must be driving about 99% highway/1% city.

In city-only, very low miles per trip (frequently only about a mile each way), I'm getting about 20-ish mpg calculated by hand. Mostly highway per tank and I'm getting as much as 34-ish, same method. I live at about 3,000' altitude. 2019 Limited. And I do use hypermiling tricks as much as possible. I have noticed that AC use in the summer and heater use in the winter really do have a noticeable negative effect on mileage, especially the AC.

·
Registered
21' Premuim manual Ice Silver Metallic
92 Posts
I've got a 21' manual and according to the admittedly optimistic exaggerometer I've been getting 28.4 MPG over the life of the car so far (11K odd miles)

(edit) this is without really trying. I idle the car for a few minutes in winter, I always have my climate control on Auto so the AC is on 95% of the time and I don't go out of my way to hypermile, the only thing I do that hypermilers do is leave my car in gear until the engine is just over idle speed when stopping, but that's just a habit.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts