Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2019 Crosstrek (gas engine, 6 speed manual) consumes about a quart of oil if I drive it 1000 miles on the interstate. I broke in the engine very carefully. New cars shouldn't do this. I just switched from 5W 20 to 10W 30 to see if it will help. I'll let you know. I'm reading that I'm not the only one who's experienced this. Next purchase may be a Hyundai.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,441 Posts
I'm not reading anywhere that the latest generation of Subarus (model year 18+ for the Crosstrek) are consuming oil. The engine in your '19 is different from the earlier engines that consumed oil.

Maybe you just have a bad one - it happens in every production line of every manufacturer?

·
Registered
2020 Pearl White Crosstrek Sport with Eyesight, CVT
156 Posts
I've had my Crosstrek for over 2 years now and have never had to add oil between oil changes, which I do (usually myself) every 8000 km. Have you had the dealer check it out?

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
948 Posts
Next purchase may be a Hyundai.
Before you do that google "Hyundai oil consumption" and read similar complains to yours. For those few Subarus that do consume oil, it tends to be ones with a manual transmission. I'm more worried about the oil level rising on my dipstick (from oil dilution) than I am oil consumption.

BTW, you may void your engine warranty not using the recommend 0W20 oil if Subaru finds out.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Before you do that google "Hyundai oil consumption" and read similar complains to yours. For those few Subarus that do consume oil, it tends to be ones with a manual transmission. I'm more worried about the oil level rising on my dipstick (from oil dilution) than I am oil consumption.

BTW, you may void your engine warranty not using the recommend 0W20 oil if Subaru finds out.
Yup!

And since you have a '19 you have a couple more years of factory warranty to get this resolved if, indeed, it's a problem with the engine in your car.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
No reports of oil use on the FB20 engine. FB25 used oil for the first couple years in the Forester. Driving it easy makes no difference. Drove my '18 Forester and '19 XV like I stole them. No oil use.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
I am curious, why is that more worrisome?
Stuff getting into the oil that shouldn't be there. Blow by, etc.

I'm not seeing this as a problem, either. Not sure if @SubaruBill has a problem with it or just commenting.

Point is, the engines in the new gen don't seem to have any of the oil problems previously reported...

·
Registered
948 Posts
I am curious, why is that more worrisome?
Engine wear! OW20 is thin enough without getting further thinned by gasoline leaking into the crankcase. Some slight oil dilution is common in all engines. For example, several oil analysis on my 2010 Forester indicated that its engine oil contained less than 0.5% fuel (<2.0% was considered average).

However direct injection engines (particularly turbos) are prone to more severe oil dilution to the point of raising the oil level on the dipstick. Cold weather seems to contribute to the problem.

Since our 2019 Crosstrek has a direct-injection engine, I'll be sending an oil sample to Blackstone Labs on my next DIY oil change.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Engine wear! OW20 is thin enough without getting further thinned by gasoline leaking into the crankcase. Some slight oil dilution is common in all engines. For example, several oil analysis on my 2010 Forester indicated that its engine oil contained less than 0.5% fuel (<2.0% was considered average).

However direct injection engines (particularly turbos) are prone to more severe oil dilution to the point of raising the oil level on the dipstick. Cold weather seems to contribute to the problem.

Since our 2019 Crosstrek has a direct-injection engine, I'll be sending an oil sample to Blackstone Labs on my next DIY oil change.

I sent in a sample at 50k miles and there was nothing remarkable. I have since been changing oil at 10k mile intervals. I had to add a quart last time (70k-80k) but won't need to this time

·
Registered
48 Posts
No reports of oil use on the FB20 engine. FB25 used oil for the first couple years in the Forester. Driving it easy makes no difference. Drove my '18 Forester and '19 XV like I stole them. No oil use.
Same here for me with my 2019.

I did a hard engine break in and drove it hard the first 1K miles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My guess is you know, but it's worth mentioning for those who might not.

Make sure your checking your oil at the same time/in the same way all the time.

Checking it while the engine is cold one day, then hot another, or too soon after you shut off the engine can vary your oil readings.

My general rule of thumb is:
1) Level ground
2) Warm engine
3) Wait a few minutes
4) Check it.

The oil is hot, it's had time to flow back into the oil pan, so your reading will be more accurate.

OH, and this is for my non-mechanically inclined friend (you know who you are.)

Pull out the dipstick, WIPE IT OFF, put it back in (all the way), THEN, pull it back out and take a reading.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My girlfriend has a 2019 Crosstrek with the Manual and it burns oil. We need to add oil between oil changes. She doesn’t beat on it or do anything unusual such as extended idling, etc. And it also does not have high miles.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
My girlfriend has a 2019 Crosstrek with the Manual and it burns oil. We need to add oil between oil changes. She doesn’t beat on it or do anything unusual such as extended idling, etc. And it also does not have high miles.
Then complain to the dealer. It's still under warranty and should not be happening with the new gen Crosstreks (i.e. '18+). Let us know what you find out...

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Engine wear! OW20 is thin enough without getting further thinned by gasoline leaking into the crankcase.
You just made the case for using 5w20 or even 5w30! HOWEVER, I'd be willing to bet that the engine will not experience early failure due to this thinned oil. I say that because 0w16 is showing up on the market. There doesn't seem to be an issue with excessive wear due to this thinner O I L!

I've had the little Blackstone mailer for 6 months now and can't get motivated to send in a sample. What good to you would knowing the results be? Cause you to run out and get a new car? Complain to the dealer that you need a new engine because gas is in the O I L (good luck with that!)? Realistically, the only thing knowing the results might accomplish would be to either give you a warm fuzzy that all is OK or give you something to worry about (who needs more of that!).

·
Registered
948 Posts
You just made the case for using 5w20 or even 5w30! HOWEVER, I'd be willing to bet that the engine will not experience early failure due to this thinned oil. I say that because 0w16 is showing up on the market. There doesn't seem to be an issue with excessive wear due to this thinner O I L!
Honda owners have experienced stalling and other problems resulting from oil dilution in their direct injection engines. As a result Honda has implemented a service campaign and has extended engine warranties:

I've had the little Blackstone mailer for 6 months now and can't get motivated to send in a sample. What good to you would knowing the results be? Cause you to run out and get a new car? Complain to the dealer that you need a new engine because gas is in the O I L (good luck with that!)? Realistically, the only thing knowing the results might accomplish would be to either give you a warm fuzzy that all is OK or give you something to worry about (who needs more of that!).
Although I'm expecting a "warm fuzzy" I would hope that Subaru would address any oil dilution problem as Honda has.

The good news is that oil dilution seems more likely to occur in a DI turbo than a non-turbo.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
351 Posts
It is pretty normal for a little fuel as well as moisture to get into your oil. Call me a Luddite, but I still believe in 3-4K mile oil changes. This issue is case in point that this is not a wasteful practice.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
351 Posts
My guess is you know, but it's worth mentioning for those who might not.

Make sure your checking your oil at the same time/in the same way all the time.

Checking it while the engine is cold one day, then hot another, or too soon after you shut off the engine can vary your oil readings.

My general rule of thumb is:
1) Level ground
2) Warm engine
3) Wait a few minutes
4) Check it.

The oil is hot, it's had time to flow back into the oil pan, so your reading will be more accurate.

OH, and this is for my non-mechanically inclined friend (you know who you are.)

Pull out the dipstick, WIPE IT OFF, put it back in (all the way), THEN, pull it back out and take a reading.
Almost all good here except I have to correct you on Step 3. A few minutes isn't enough. I would give it at least a half hour before all the oil drains back into the crankcase. Otherwise you could get a false low reading.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts