Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

Me Too. High Oil Consumption.

Model Years 2018 to 2023 
53K views 205 replies 52 participants last post by  cedarpangolin 
#1 ·
My 2019 Crosstrek (gas engine, 6 speed manual) consumes about a quart of oil if I drive it 1000 miles on the interstate. I broke in the engine very carefully. New cars shouldn't do this. I just switched from 5W 20 to 10W 30 to see if it will help. I'll let you know. I'm reading that I'm not the only one who's experienced this. Next purchase may be a Hyundai.

#2 ·
I'm not reading anywhere that the latest generation of Subarus (model year 18+ for the Crosstrek) are consuming oil. The engine in your '19 is different from the earlier engines that consumed oil.

Maybe you just have a bad one - it happens in every production line of every manufacturer?

#5 ·
Next purchase may be a Hyundai.
Before you do that google "Hyundai oil consumption" and read similar complains to yours. For those few Subarus that do consume oil, it tends to be ones with a manual transmission. I'm more worried about the oil level rising on my dipstick (from oil dilution) than I am oil consumption.

BTW, you may void your engine warranty not using the recommend 0W20 oil if Subaru finds out.

#14 ·
My guess is you know, but it's worth mentioning for those who might not.

Make sure your checking your oil at the same time/in the same way all the time.

Checking it while the engine is cold one day, then hot another, or too soon after you shut off the engine can vary your oil readings.

My general rule of thumb is:
1) Level ground
2) Warm engine
3) Wait a few minutes
4) Check it.

The oil is hot, it's had time to flow back into the oil pan, so your reading will be more accurate.

OH, and this is for my non-mechanically inclined friend (you know who you are.)

Pull out the dipstick, WIPE IT OFF, put it back in (all the way), THEN, pull it back out and take a reading.

#20 ·
My guess is you know, but it's worth mentioning for those who might not.

Make sure your checking your oil at the same time/in the same way all the time.

Checking it while the engine is cold one day, then hot another, or too soon after you shut off the engine can vary your oil readings.

My general rule of thumb is:
1) Level ground
2) Warm engine
3) Wait a few minutes
4) Check it.

The oil is hot, it's had time to flow back into the oil pan, so your reading will be more accurate.

OH, and this is for my non-mechanically inclined friend (you know who you are.)

Pull out the dipstick, WIPE IT OFF, put it back in (all the way), THEN, pull it back out and take a reading.
Almost all good here except I have to correct you on Step 3. A few minutes isn't enough. I would give it at least a half hour before all the oil drains back into the crankcase. Otherwise you could get a false low reading.

#19 ·
It is pretty normal for a little fuel as well as moisture to get into your oil. Call me a Luddite, but I still believe in 3-4K mile oil changes. This issue is case in point that this is not a wasteful practice.

#22 ·
For manual transmission crosstrek, please make sure you never lug your engine especially when yo use low octane fuel. The detonation may damage your engine and cause high oil consumption. Never dump clutch aggressively from stop when you are on 0w20 oil.

#24 ·
For manual transmission crosstrek, please make sure you never lug your engine especially when yo use low octane fuel. The detonation may damage your engine and cause high oil consumption. Never dump clutch aggressively from stop when you are on 0w20 oil.
Lugging ANY engine is very hard on it even if you don't hear pinging. Think of it as the equivalent of the load on your knees while pedaling a bicycle from a stop while in too high a gear. If you cannot increase your speed while in a particular gear, you are in too high a gear for your speed, period. Revving is preferable to lugging.

#34 ·
OK I finally got to duplicate the consumption conditions with the thicker oil. Roughly 1100 miles of interstate and crossing the Appalachians twice used about a half quart of oil. Local driving consumes no oil. I really can't complain about that. I'll stick with 10W 30 and be happy.

#37 ·
2 years and 50,000km...no oil consumption that I would consider excessive. Less than 1/2 a litre per oil change cycle. I consider that normal.

#41 ·
A quart every thousand miles seems a might too much. Not sure the metric to use on how to approach the dealer on if/how to repair. My hunch would be that dealer should look for leaks, bad gaskets, regular suspects and check spark plugs before telling you to go home. Might continually bring up the issue if I return to the dealer, seems to be a dealer's market right now, not much incentive for them to show exceptional concern.

My mom used to tell me that "Worrying isn't thinking."

#43 ·
When you run an engine at high rpm with a low load, you have less manifold pressure, meaning less pressure (seating) of the rings. You can't do that with a CVT (unless you use the paddle shifters), but you certainly can with a manual. This is especially harmful at break-in time, but even later, running high rpms a lot with low loads (IE. not accelerating, going up hill or high speed). So a lower viscosity oil on a poorly broken in engine will use more oil.

#48 ·
I bring Subaru Swag (trinkets, really) to the pit crew and techs and my dealer when I go in. They greatly appreciate it and treat me very well in exchange.

#61 ·
I have a 2018 Crosstrek manual 6 speed 4 cylinder and I am having similar issues. my oil has been consistently low after 5000kms (27-2800miles?). It seems to be a thing since I bought it, all seals are still intact, no signs of leaking etc. I use good quality oil. Of course now I'm out of warranty and trying to find ways to improve this but not holding much hope after reading some reports. So just to say, I also was perturbed that it was a newer vehicle with this issue as well.

#62 ·
Did you break in the engine properly as stated in the owner's manual?

Can you have a mechanic do a cylinder leak-down test?

How many miles/kms are on the car now?

#66 ·
A few years ago my kid's new Nissan was using a quart every 500 miles. After a number of dealer warranty trips the dealer did an oil change and put this strange tape on dipstick, drain and fill areas to "prevent tampering." Came back at 250 miles with the tape undisturbed with a half quart low, then at 500 miles after losing a quart and Nissan replaced the short block. The confounding thing was that there were no visible external leaks, the car easily passed CA's fairly rigid emission's tests, and the spark plugs looked clean as a whistle. The car literally seemed to make the oil disappear. I dunno.

Assuming that there isn't any sign of any external leaking I wonder if your oil consuming Subaru would pass a careful smog test?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.