Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the max sideways tilt the Crosstrek can handle before it tips over? I want to drive it into my backyard, but my lot slopes down toward a pond and I don't want to wind up upside down in the water.

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,308 Posts
Well, unless you are on solid rock or cement, you will likely slip sideways down into your pond...

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,501 Posts
Well, unless you are on solid rock or cement, you will likely slip sideways down into your pond...
Yep, the center of gravity is so low that they don't "tip over". You could still end up in the pond but more likely the right way up, if that's any consolation... 😸

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
But if you really want to know, get about 6 of your buddies to help you lift it up from the side on two wheels. Eventually you will reach the teeter point, and you will know. Just be careful not to go to far,... haha.

Trust you know I am just kidding... Had to say that,... just in case someone would actually try that.

·
Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
453 Posts
I used to have a Willys Overland Truck which my friend and I stuffed a small block chevy engine into. This mass, plus the springs we installed, created a center of gravity that appeared to be higher than the car itself. When it tipped over depended quite a bit on road condition, how fast the truck was moving, and if the motion included bouncing. It could tip over on a very slight slope under proper conditions. The truck was a hot mess when it was sold. The Subaru seems to be a very stable car.

·
Registered
8,501 Posts
Very cool! When I bought a Discovery in the UK I went to the Land Rover "experience" at their proving grounds in Scotland to learn about it. Lots of fun and sometimes scary...

·
Premium Member
2020 Crosstrek Premium 6MT
25 Posts
I had my Hummer H3 (lifted a few inches) up to 37.5 degrees before it came off the ground on one side . . . . . ;-)

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
well that devolved quickly
Yeah, I am sorry. I am a devoted off roader so I am reading different things in the conversation. I have been thinking about what my Crosstrek will be capable of driving once I get it modded for wheeling without thinking about the rest of the audience.

Again . . . I apologize.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah, I am sorry. I am a devoted off roader so I am reading different things in the conversation. I have been thinking about what my Crosstrek will be capable of driving once I get it modded for wheeling without thinking about the rest of the audience.

Again . . . I apologize.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
why are you apologizing, he asked an off road question and you gave an off road response... maybe not precisely on point but who cares.

To the OP, it's hard to answer your question without seeing some pictures of your back yard & the pond. Although I've never wheeled my Crosstrek I've been sideways many times in my Jeep without issue & the Suby is even lower to the ground so I'd think flipping that thing would be really difficult, @AstroKats is dead on. I'd let common sense be your guide, I can guarantee you will be scared sh!tless long before there's any real threat of flipping. As for sliding right-side up into the pond, who knows, the likelihood of that will be a factor of the slope, the surface (is it grass, mud, rocks), your tires, your skill & the size of your cojones 😁

·
Registered
8,501 Posts
LOL, this -> I can guarantee you will be scared sh!tless long before there's any real threat of flipping.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
LOL, this -> I can guarantee you will be scared sh!tless long before there's any real threat of flipping.
Agreed, especially if this is your first time. I think your only concern is traction. Street tires dont have the best grip on dirt/grass. Letting some air out of the tires will increase your traction by giving your tire more surface area on the ground. Don't tale them down too much though. 18-20 PSI should help a lot!. Also, many people panic and apply too much throttle. A little bit of tire spin is okay to allow the traction control to do its job.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
If these pics of stunt cars driving on two wheels are any indication, I would say that you can go at least 45 degrees before it would tip over. Like I said before you are more likely to slide into the pond before you tip over.

·
Registered
2019 Canadian sport 6MT
14 Posts
Is the limitation due to the centre of gravity & tipping over? Or are there other issues such as possible oil starvation up from a certain roll/pitch angle?

·
Registered
8,501 Posts
Is the limitation due to the centre of gravity & tipping over? Or are there other issues such as possible oil starvation up from a certain roll/pitch angle?
Another oil thread! 😸

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
141 Posts
An oil starvation thread for AK!
And yes, it would probably be a bad idea for a car to try the stunt shown, without a modified oil-pickup design.
I haven't seen any specifications for the Crosstrek on acceptable angles of slope.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts